We f228 (p228)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We f228 (p228)

Been giving this old girl a beasting for nearly a week now, much to my neighbours disgust I'm betting

This is going to be more of a first impressions kind of review more than an all out fully tested review, mainly because I don't have a chrono to test FPS and don't immediately have access to a decent range/long garden without traveling some distance for either.

Firstly I was a bit sceptical about buying a WE pistol, there are a lot of conflicting views out there as we all know, but they are mostly from owners of older WE pistols, I thought I'd give them the chance their GBBR range to me is 2nd to none for quality and value for money, and also they are the only people to bring out the much loved (for me) full metal Sig Sauer P228 for under an arm and a leg.

It comes in a decent box to start with quite nice considering their rifles float around in plain brown boxes, the box has a U.S Marshals badge on
    All you get in the box is the gun, magazine and usless manual simple as that.
    The box insert is obviously designed for the 226, and the 228 has been rammed into its space.

The gun itself, as with all new WE stuff is totaly devoid of any trademarks whatsoever, with the exception of "9mm para" on the breach, it is painted lower in a nice hardy matt black finish and the upper in a greyish colour, I think this is something to do with how the RS is finished but to me it looks awful.
    The whole gun with the exception of the grips is metal, and feels very nice in the hand, the finishing touch comes in the form of the mock firing pin found on this and all WE P22* models, it might not matter to most but it's a nice touch from WE all the same.

The magazine is (on mine) gas tight out of the box but seems to have a lake of lube in it as mine spat tons of the stuff on the first shot, the only downside for me on the mag is the plastic baseplate, it feels a bit flimsy and comes off easily.

As I said above I don't have a chrono to test FPS on her so can't give FPS readings, however it kicks like an absolute mother***ker, way more felt recoil than even my Guarder P226, now while this is great for the realism I have slight concerns over the strength of the slide, particularly the rather small and thin sliver of metal under the ejection port, but having shot around 300 rounds through it at room temp all looks good so far.

Another thumbs up for WE on this looks like its compatability, I've got a few bits and bobs lying around from building and upgrading TM P226s so thought I'd drop a few things in for testing.
    It will take TM or compatible hop rubbers, gas routers, inner barrels, outer barrels, I even swapped the takedown leaver from my Guarder P226
    And swapped it for that on the 228, and although tight it fitted and worked perfectly.
    The only thing that I've found that wont fit is the TM P226 hop unit itself, the rest of the internals "look" amazingly like that of the TM P226, but not yet having the need to strip it to its bare bones I'm not going that far yet just to find out

I am ordering a Guarder steel mag catch for it though as there is a decent amount of up and down play in the magazine when in the gun, and me being the perfectionist I am would like to try and sort it out.
    Oh on the subject of mags, it is compatible with older style (thick baseplate) TM P226 mags, although these obviously stick out of the bottom, I took delivery of a KJW P229 magazine today and that also fits, fires and feeds properly, but the KJ mags rattle quite a bit, from memory they do in KJW pistols too, but a couple of strips of elec tape on each side of the mag sort that out no problem.
    So even if WE mags are as rare as rocking horse plop KJW mags will come to the rescue

Well that's about all I can think of for now, if anyone wants to know anything else feel free to drop a comment.

Pics
    Before painting the slide.

After painting the slide (not my own work)

Lee

Re: We f228 (p228)

I can't wait to get one . You beat me to it this time mate

Comment

Had to be done mate, especialy at just over £80 all in from HK :D

You know it won't be long before you have one.

Comment

I have the 226. I think the slide colour thing is a matter of personal preference, I happen to think it looks really good.

I can second all the positives, I've only had mine a few weeks but it seems solid, has a hell of a kick. Just great fun to play with.

Comment

im waiting on the stainless steel one! looks fookin awesome!
          TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

I thought the stainless one was the original prototype?

I have had two issues with my F228 one is the amount of lube in the gun is just silly so it had to stripped and re lubed and the other is an issue with the mag where if it is out of the gun it is fine but in the gun it leaks but only on this mag if I put a TM mag in it there is no leak??

Thanks for trying the P229 mags as I will give them a go in mine.

Curlyboy
            'I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around' Han Solo

Comment

This is going to be my next purchase I think!

Comment

Dont know if youve notice but i have on my f226 if you hold it just slightly to one side gas floods out when you press the trigger..... I know most ggb's do but this is definatly worse than my tm p226 e2.....
                Custom g&p mk18 mod1 cqb------tm glock 17 custom------king arms sig 556 shorty------tm tactical master berreta m9------magpul pts masada------WA gbb m4a1------WE sig P226R------KWA mp9A3------tm p226 e2------kwa mp7a1------systema ptw L119A1.

Comment

Head to head comparison in the making

2 Tms Vs 2 KJWs Vs 2 WEs

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like

Comment

Originally posted by NEWT View Post
                    Dont know if youve notice but i have on my f226 if you hold it just slightly to one side gas floods out when you press the trigger..... I know most ggb's do but this is definatly worse than my tm p226 e2.....
                    There is a lot of advice floating about that you shouldn't fire a gbb anything other than the right way up. So I don't think this is a model specific thing.

Comment

correct , the WA Magna system is the only one I know of that doesn't mind too much but they fail in a lot of other areas

Comment

bought a f226 couple weeks ago and i love it. glad the TM p226 e2 magazines fit also.
                        looking at geting a f228 next can anyone confirm if 226 mags fit in the 228?
                        Originally posted by FireKnife
                        Firing a MAC-11 is like a guy with premature ejaculation having sex with a stunning and filthy woman.

So much win but over way to quickly.

Comment

They do but stick out a little as you would expect.

Comment

Is this one got a heavy recoil spring
                            sigpic

Comment

Don't think so, no heavier than any other FM P22* gun.

Just like to add that mine had a good road test last night at my locals Halloween night game.

And it performed flawlessly, even in the piss wet rain, it wasn't particularly cold but cold enough, the only slight problem and it wasn't even directly the gun, and that was that it seemed to not perform as well with KJW P229 mags as it did with its own mag WE magazine, but even that didn't cause any problems for me.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tisane Find out more about tisane
                              Working...
                              X