Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socom Gear M9 GBB

SOCOM GEAR M9

So, with Tokyo Marui and KJ Works both having a strong M9 line-up, Taiwanese Manufactuer Socom Gear have joined in with their take on a US Marine style M9, but is it all show and no go?

Presentation.

Well, not much to say here. A rather plain brown box with a sticker emblazoned on it proudly displaying an American Military insignia on the left, and on the right, going top to bottom. We have 'Army Issued' in a Bold white font, then a large imprint in bold stating 'M9'. Then some information relating to what you can find in the box and some close up shots of the item in question. Though this is a Taiwanese gun, everything it written in english and there is little, if any spelling or gramatical error. So, let's crack her open and look inside!

On opening the box, you will see the gun sitting rather well inside. The foam insert is cut well to hold it snuggly, and the black material used to cover it is ok for the price. But the fact it doesn't really give anything more then a 'Stripped' budget feel doesn't help so far. Also, there is ample space in the box where the foam has been cut to store a spare magazine and a pistol Lanyard. But without pushing and prodding about, you wouldn't know that at all.

Also, there was a Holster supplied which contains the cleaning rod. It was packaged alongside it in a plastic bag and looks rather nice out of it. But it would have been a good idea to have had the pistol in the holster in the box in my opinion. But this is a special item and also a freebie so I can't complain about that. Supplied also is the silencer adapter, this will either be in its own little bag or already screwed onto the gun.

First Impression (the look and feel).

Well, the look is certainly not going to offend anyone, but it doesn't stimulate the regions of the airsofter where needed. Almost every piece of this gun is coated in Black paint. Not a bad thing, but it certainly will wear into a lovely 'used' look, it feels smooth along the slide and receiver. The engraving is actually quite shallow to what I was expecting and will probably wear down before too long with being holstered and un-holstered as often as I do with my secondaries. The left hand side shows some markings "U.S. 9mm ARMY JSSAP NATO" on the slide, with the number "M9 - 7777" underneath, possibly a serial code? On the right hand side, we have "ASSY9346487-65490 PM" on the slide and underneath on the receiver "U.S. 9mm ARMY M9 SOCOMGEAR.COM". Now, taking into account the price of the gun and the amount of pride Socom put into their gear, this is probably coded to be more like Socom's own, then them honoring a true military piece. The whole deal of markings on the right hand side don't give much as it takes away from the impression of it being a serious piece of hardware.

But, you wont notice that, nor care. Because the grips show you what you really wanted. Both sides are identical, with the rubberised texture with a hard plastic detail just above the 'Marine' insignia badges. These badges stick out against the gun in there glory, they don't shine, but they do sit with a 'glint' in the light. It is a small thing, but it brings the image of what this gun is about. A sidearm that has balls. It's real world counterpart is now the mainstay of the American forces as standard, and whilst this is a 'Standard' spec from SocomGear, just that little detail has made it special.

That special feeling continues when you hold it, it is a hefty beast for a pistol, nearly weighing 1kg, it will easily test your holster to see if it will stand punishment and this little baby definately gives a grin factor when in hand. It feels solid, and with those rubber grips, it feels planted in your hands and secure. But the safety has alittle niggle, and that it's easy to switch off, but hard to switch back to safe. But this is down to it's newness and will become alittle easier in time. Something that is easy to use is the supplied silenecer adapter, it comes off with some slight twists and screws back on easily enough. But that doesn't sound right to me, it should be stiff so it wont wobble or come loose during the firing process.

Oh well, onto the next stage.

Secondary Impression (Getting to know your gun)

So, taking it apart reveals a shock to me. There is no grease or lubrication of any kind around any part of this gun! Simply pulling the slide back reveals a heavy pull and strain of metal on metal. I quickly stripped it to lubricate it and my goodness, what ease. The manual supplied with the gun has a good detailed strip down guide, and it does what it needs to do. It does show that is close to copying every other M9 internally, but the dimensions are different, ever so slighty too. And rightly so, as this can take the WE tech M9 CO2 Magazines as too it's own Gas magazines, but I wouldn't try using any other as the mag wobble is highly noticeable and not a good sign if you feel like pulling the trigger.

Speaking of such, the trigger pull, is very different to anything I have tried before. Lubricated or not, the trigger pull is very lax yet heavy. Which isn't too big an issue, this is going to be one of those pistols for those SHTF moments, and not IPSC target shooting. The suppessor adapter which is included with the gun is mounted by simply screwing it in the end of the barrel. It is a 14mm Negative adapter and allows the majority of suppressors to be attached. So, go for as big or as small as you feel. But something sleek and obviously close to a 9mm style will look best.

The sights should be simple, and they are. But the single post with the white dot at the front and the rather blank back sight with the square cut away aren't anything but basic! Non-adjustable, but for CQB moments and getting close, it does the job. But I would have liked to have seen a different design. Using it with the supplied belt holster is alittle hard at first being brand new and needing to be freed up alittle, but in time that tight feeling becomes 'snug' and you get used to the way this particular elasticated design works. Honestly, this holster is head and shoulders above most of its competitors making it even better knowing it was thrown in free!

Now then, it's time to gas up, get the chrono and the sheets of target paper out and see what she can do.

Shooting Experience and Performance.

Now, this is where we shall see what £89 of Full metal gun can do compared to it's £90 Plastic rival. I will be comparing the results of the Socom against a Standard Tokyo Marui Samurai Edge(simply the M9 in drag).

Chrono Results:

Accross a five shot trial, using a Madbull V2 Chronograph, 134a Gas with 0.2g bb's. Here are the results below.

Tokyo Marui Samurai Edge Vs. Socom Gear M9

1:- 202fps --------------------- 228fps
    2:- 209fps --------------------- 224fps
    3:- 200fps --------------------- 240fps
    4:- 204fps --------------------- 238fps
    5:- 204fps --------------------- 238fps

And the results for the same Madbull V2 Chronograph, 0.2g bb's and Ultra Gas.

Tokyo Marui Samurai Edge Vs. Socom Gear M9

1:- 230fps --------------------- 288fps
    2:- 223fps --------------------- 284fps
    3:- 228fps --------------------- 274fps
    4:- 232fps --------------------- 278fps
    5:- 230fps --------------------- 280fps

Now we all know that the weather aint too warm, so these results are pretty good for now, and should be great in summer. I even had the Samurai Edge clocking in at 320fps at the summers height, so expect around 340fps max from really strong gas. Which, given the construction of this gun, feels solid enough. Just watch using propane, those seals will need lubrication regularly! So, it has some good power, but what about accuracy? Well, sadly, it didn't go well here against the TM. Tokyo Marui have been in buisness awhile and haven't made a bad hop unit. So, the accuracy was good, hitting every shot with a 9cm grouping in the target at 20m. Whilst the Socom gear had one flier and a 12cm grouping. But with the high kick back, and the sound of the gun itself. It certainly puts a better smile on your face then the TM through the experience. The Socom is a gun you want to shoot again and again.

Overall Impression.

Was it £89 well spent? Is it useful addition to any Load-out and not just a marine one? I can certainly say the looks give it the feel that it deserve to be on the chest mount or leg holster of a USMC load-Out rather then an Opfor. But at £89, you get an average performing pistol that can take whatever abuse you through at it, and it will hit its target again and again with the same grin inducing feel when that slide hits back. It might not turn heads with looks like the Desert Warrior or Desert Eagle, and only true Geardo's will point out the mistakes with the markings and the insignia. But hell, it does what it needs to do and it does it well. What more can you ask from your sidearm?

I know this baby will accompany me on my skirmishes more so then my Samurai Edge or any of my other M9's. This has done something that others in the past haven't, mix a feeling of reliability with a grin inducing 'play time'. You think past the little niggles this thing has, buy some lubrication, gas and bb's. Buy it, and you will not regret it.

Looks - ****-
    Presentation - **---
    Firing - ****-
    Quality - ***--
    Overall - ***--

Bought brand new from Elite Shooting Centre, Review Originally posted at AirsoftWales.co.uk. Since this Review was posted, it is in the hands of a new owner.
    sigpic
    http://Teddypotts.DeviantART.com

About the Author

Collapse

Teddykiller I am who I am, and that is all, just a fellow airsofter ready to talk b******* anytime! Find out more about Teddykiller
Working...
X