Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&G Xtreme .45 review.

OK, this is my first review, so be kind to me if I mess things up

I ordered this gun as an alternative to my regular 229, as this is CO2 powered. After ordering it, I found out that they can run VERY hot, so I was a little apprehensive about it. £75 plus postage seemed a small risk to take anyway, though.

I can't mention where I got it from, but I ordered it late Monday night, sorted out a problem with my UKARA number (it hadn't been put on the system) on Tuesday and it arrived about an hour ago (Wednesday). I also bought some cartridges, from the bay, and they arrived in 24 hours.

First impressions are very good. The box is nicely decorated and seems quite tough. There are a set of instructions with it that I can only describe as brilliant. By far the best I have ever seen with a gun, let alone a budget one.

The gun itself weighs in at 990gm and feels really good in your hand. The only criticism I have about the feel is that, as the grip safety is a molded, non-functioning piece, it feels strange in the outer (safe) position while firing. The G&G badged grips are a little plasticy, but still feel OK and look really good. If I ever do replace them, I'll try to move the badges over to the new ones.

The only visible seam is on the hammer and the rest of the gun is very well finished. The two tone finish to the slide is very crisply done with nice clean edges. The Xtreme 45 badge on the left hand side of the slide is a little too obvious for me, so I may polish that off as it's only painted on. I've seen a picture of this done and it looks good.

The trigger looks like it is double action, but it's not. True 1911 style cocked and locked carry needed here. So, it's good that the safety is firm and a decent size. The safety doesn't prevent the hammer being moved to the cocked position, but stops it from dropping again by disconnecting the trigger mech. There's a small red dot and the letter F visible when the safety is off.

Trigger pull is very smooth, so nice and consistent shots are easily achieved.

To prepare it for firing, you have to insert a 12gm CO2 cartridge in the mag and then wind a small wheel under the cartridge which pushes it upwards to break the seal. When fully tightened, there doesn't seem to be any leakage at all. After that, just pull down the BB follower, pour in 16 BBs, then hit the release pin on the bottom of the mag. When you push the mag into the gun, it needs to be pushed very firmly in, as the gas pushes back against the mag. This also gives a really cool gas-ejection effect when you are ready to reload.

The action doesn't fully cycle when you cock it, only moving back 26mm. This is supposed to be to reduce the strain on the gun while firing at high fps. The hop adjustment is via a small grub screw on top of the barrel which is accessed with the slide locked back.

My chrono is a small barrel mounted one, so getting it lined up on the front of a pistol was fun, but when managed, the results were very interesting:

462 (2 BBs)
    366 (2 BBs)

After that first mag, things settled down to between 320 and 350, so it probably could be skirmished if you either emptied 1 mag to bring the pressure down a bit, or were at a site with a higher fps/minimum range rule. I got 6 mags out of the first cartridge.

Considering that there is only what they describe as "mock blow back" it is really crisp. Trigger response is just what you would expect from a GBB, but the cycling time is amazing. My guess is that there is a very strong recoil spring in there, in addition to the shorter than normal travel.

What you don't expect is the sound. It sounds like an airgun and not an airsoft gun. Also, I didn't think that dead-heading roses at 8m would be possible with a pistol. The sights were pretty much spot on out of the box, though I don't tend to use the front sight with a pistol anyway. Having said that, with the pistol rested, I was hitting the 4cm target on my revolving target stand, again at 8m, with almost every shot. It was also taking lumps out of the bark of the tree next to the target when I missed!

In conclusion, it's not really a practical skirmishing weapon for everyone's use. But, if you can use a pistol over 350 fps, or your site would accept it if you run the pressure down a little then I'd highly recommend one.

sigpic

Re: G&G Xtreme .45 review.

Nice Review. :D

First time I have heard about this model, I assume its not metal?
    Might make a nice "Last Stand" back up when your out of ammo and being over run!

Do you have the facility to record the cyclic rate on a computer? It would be interesting to know what the actual rate of fire is.

Comment

Full metal goodness.

Unfortunately, the chrono I've got is very basic, so I can't record the rate of fire that way. When I get the chance, though, I may empty the mag as fast as possible and time it, so I can work out the rough rate of fire. I do know it's a hell of a lot quicker than either my Sig or my wife's Glock.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
        Full metal goodness.
        Blimey! Sounds like I might have another pistol on my list

"wife sigh's"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatblokewiththeScar. View Post
          "wife sigh's"
          Don't tell her, I don't unless it's for her
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrobin View Post
            Don't tell her, I don't unless it's for her
            I am Shocked that you would suggest that anyone should Lie or Hide anything from our beloved spouse's

Comment

This gun looks awsome!!!
              Armory:
              A&K M249 - A&K Dragunov - CYMA AK47-s - JG G36C - JG Scorpion - Warrior L96 - JG M4A1 - KS P90

Comment

I think I may have to purchase one asap.
                Originally posted by -=256=-Swerve

while it still exists, it's secrets time! I secretly enjoy wearing silk lingerie. ok who's next?

Comment

good reviews looks very nice

might invest in one for back garden shooting

unless there is a way to reduce the FPS permanently - doubt there is
                  |Systema PTW M16 RIS | Systema PTW M4 RIS | Systema PTW MP5 | WE SCAR L GBB | King Arms Sig 556 Holo | Custom M4 CASV Multicam | TM MP7 | KSC Steyr TMP | KSC USP .45 | WA SIG GSR | WA Beretta M9 | Socom Gear Wilson Combat 1911| Remote Pyro |

Comment

Looks good and its good to know it does level out at a reasonable FPS (all be it still high for a pistol)
                    I guess you'd just have to shoot off a mag or two before the game starts or shoot at nothing when you needed to change the co2.
                    SAVE OUR SPORT
                    http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ScottishGunBan/

Comment

If anyone knows where I can get one of these, could they email me : [email protected]

Only site I can find, they are out of stock.

Cheers.

CK

I will be at the NAE 27th-30th August and replies to messages may be slow, bear with me!

Comment

Lol there is only one site that sell this gun in UK and they are out of stock lol...!!
                        I will shoot you all.

Comment

thats what i was afraid of

I will be at the NAE 27th-30th August and replies to messages may be slow, bear with me!

Comment

so after some use has the fps settled down to a more skirmish friendly level?
                            SAVE OUR SPORT

Comment

aaannnndddd does it use normal 1911 grip dimensions? Wanting to add a silver back laser at some point if I pick one up
                              SAVE OUR SPORT

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Caveira Find out more about Caveira
                              Working...
                              X