Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares Scar L

Hello to all members & guests on Zeroin Airsoft forums,

I recently got my ares scar l a few weeks ago after a sucessful transistion involving another member( Penners ). All i can say about him is he is the top man for buying. No lies, no issues with deliveries and a good deal made me possibly the happiest person on the earth. 160 was all i paid for it; which consisted of the gun, 5 mags(1 150rd star, and 4 80rd P mags), Battery, Grip-pod, Charger and a Holographic sight, not to mention he two-toned it for me in a paint i could scratch of once i recieved my UKARA membership.

First Impressions: As soon as i picked the gun up, i couldn't believe the quality. From a crappy springer, now im holding what is possibly the heaviest AR rifle on the market. It weighs about 6 KG due to the CNC aluminuim made upper reciever. The battery space was not so bad( i Could fit a large 9.6V), the stock was a bit wobbly when put on the longest position.However, the cheek rest and the rest of the stock was perfect, nothing more than i could've asked for. The gun was not the CQB version so it wasn't as practical but as i bought it to play at woodland environments i was happy enough. I will give the ARES SCAR L a 9/10 as it was exceptional in quality but was abit heavy.

Performance: As i had an 8.4v battery, the rate of fire wasn't good. Probably just over 10 a second, it would lose out to most other high end rifles if i was in a skirmish. In the posotive side, i'd rather have a gun that will last and is more than half decent than one which is amazing but is super unrelaible. The accuarcy was phenomenal after I zeroed in the holo sight;I could hit a can 30m away on my first shot. I know many pople would be like thats nothing but remeber i am new to airsoft. After using 1200 rounds the gun started to drop a bb out of the barrel every 20rounds on full auto. This may not sound like much but its starting to worry me. After shooting more the problem has stopped but the thought still remains in my mind. I also found out that the last 5 bbs would not go through, they would simply fall out once the mag has been taken out. It's not such a big problem but every now and then a bb would come out of the dust cover(where the hop up unit is revealed). To summarise this the ares scar l is getting a big fat 8/10. good accuracy, good power, good hop up but slow rate of fire and has a few very small problems.

Looking into the scar more deeply: I will summarise this very quickly,
    Pros: Tight Airseal
    Working Bolt catch
    No wires through the folding stock
    Quick break-down feature
    Good Hop-up unit
    Micro-switch assembly
    Heavy
    Cons:Hop up unit is part of the gearbox
    Soldered motor!!!SO BAD
    Bolt release is very weak

Overall i am glad i chose this over the VFC, i dont see why people do buy VFC's. The problems on this scar could be fixed with one tool-a soldering iron! Other than that I dont see why this is supposedly the 2nd best scar on the ,market and not the 1st. I am really happy i chose this gun and would upgrade it minimally over the near-future. Possibly a tighter barrel, and a more reliable piston. Overall this gun gets a good 8.5/10.
    Thanks for reading would add pictures soon

Re: Ares Scar L

its my first time writing a review so any feedback would be nice

Comment

Heavy, you wait till you fit a eglm to it!!.
      I have a scar-l myself and am more than impressed with it.
      Nice review and glad your happy with it.
      sigpic

Comment

cheers mate, happy to hear that others are happy with it too.
        i dont think i am getting an eglm any time soon though but god i cant imagine the weight with it.

Comment

i have the eglm for my scar-h, id still say the L85 is heavier
          Originally posted by bravotwozero
          Half of the people on zeroin are ex-sas, or currently serving in the regiment, so you shouldn't have a problem getting some hard information.

Comment

do you have an ares, Garf3r, if you do i am suprised. if you have the vfc i wouldn't because it is considerably lighter than the ares.

Comment

got the ARES combo bud, the ICS L85 is still heavier than it and thats with the eglm on... you want weight, buy a UGL for a L85 its a crazy weight haha
              Half of the people on zeroin are ex-sas, or currently serving in the regiment, so you shouldn't have a problem getting some hard information.

Comment

I do own a Ares Scar L with the EGLM and I did own a Ares SA-80 A2. I can tell the the actually weight difference between the two is miniimal, with both guns weighing in around the 7kg mark. An SA-80 with an grenade launcher would be heavier.

Out of the two, the Ares SA-80 was the better gun. The Scar is great though and I kept it purely because it was the first airsoft gun I bought. I've done a fair bit of work to it though after having issues with the internals.

You WILL have to replace the piston and piston head at some point and Ares use alot of bespoke parts for their guns. I found the ICS parts are a good fit. My motor burnt out after two games as well. My Scar has also melted a battery. And whatever you do dont damage the hop nub they are a bespoke shape too, you have to get replacement nubs straight from Ares.
                It will take less bullets to kill him now than if we wait for him to turn into a zombie.

The elderly. They seem nice enough, but can they really be trusted ?

Comment

thanks four leaf and Garf3r, i will try my best to get an l85 in the future just for the weight. i think its a pattern then with ARES. I really like my gun and i also heard that the piston is just a regular v2 one, maybe their wrong. I can also get the hop up chamber complete from a store(cant sya which one) haha. Thanks again for the advice, i shall tke it on baoard

Comment

Originally posted by ThE LeGenD View Post
                    thanks four leaf and Garf3r, i will try my best to get an l85 in the future just for the weight. i think its a pattern then with ARES. I really like my gun and i also heard that the piston is just a regular v2 one, maybe their wrong. I can also get the hop up chamber complete from a store(cant sya which one) haha. Thanks again for the advice, i shall tke it on baoard
                    The gearbox isnt a normal standard V2, because ARES/STAR like to attach there hop units into the air seal nozzle, (better air seal i believe), so if you case snaps / cracks, its onto ARES directly to get the new one

Ill be upgrading mine soon so ill post you some do's and don'ts

Comment

Yep, what the blokey above me says. You can get the complete hop chamber but it doesn't come with the bespoke hub nub. The hop nub in the scar and the Ares M4 so I've heard, is shaped like a figure 8. It's because of the quick change barrel system the Scar uses, to allow you to change the barrel without the nub falling out.
                      It will take less bullets to kill him now than if we wait for him to turn into a zombie.

The elderly. They seem nice enough, but can they really be trusted ?

Comment

i am sorry if start to be annoying, but on the package for the m4 hop up which looks identical to the scar, there is a figure 8 shaped nub. I dont actually know if its the nub but it looks pretty damn like an eight. Thanks all, and i am hoping to hear about the upgrades soon Garf3r if its ok to you.
                        Updates:
                        I think the reason why i have got it so cheap was because i got fooled
                        One of the two screws inside the magwel is stripped badly which means i cant get it out=cant repair the gun. Any solutions are more than welcomed!

Comment

You can repair the gun buddy, its just going to take ALOT of patience....

Heres the steps:

(1) Knowledge: Knowing what is missing is key, so we'll need the exposer plan -- [ Exposer Plan Link ] now, we have to look up the codes that are needed, may take some time, but time is all you have when dealing with ARES... so whilst your there you'll see how the gearbox isn't a standard V2 nor is the Hop-Up Unit, its built in.

(2) Contacing ARES: Once you have your parts, we next need to get in touch with ARES, so we'll now need to send an email to them [ Contacts ] so we fall under Rest of the world and theres 2 to pick from

(3) Construct Your Email: Write your email clear as can be stating you need replacement parts and would like to purchase them

(4) Time is money... not in this case: Wait for responce.... you may want to take up another hobby like counting stairs or that...

You could also e-mail or phone Zero One Airsoft to special order the parts for you, its going to take just as long ethier way....

Hope this is some help to you

Garf3r

Comment

thanks Garf3r, but i really dont know how the hell i am going to open the gearbox up in the first place IF THE DAMN SCREW IN THE MAGWELL IS STRIPPED. do you think the impact from a drill taking it out would damge the gun?it would be helpful if you reply soon. Thanks

Comment

wouldnt drill anything, best sending it to zero one, they'll fix it for you

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ThE LeGenD I know a fair amount about AEG's and i am in the sport. Find out more about ThE LeGenD
                              Working...
                              X