CYMA MP5k PDW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYMA MP5k PDW

Afternoon fellas I did say I would do a review tomorrow on this wonderful little piece by CYMA but thought well might as well write an introduction to it now as I have test fired it a few times and looked at the internals a little as well to see the good the bad and the ugly about this particular RIF.

Background:
    The MP5 was created by H and K as a response to needing a small lightweight sub machine gun for Counter Terrorism operations, where battle rifles would generally be unsuitable, the SAS ended up using this particular weapon at the Iranian Embassy Siege after it was recommended to be used instead of the Mac10/11 which were relatively inaccurate in comparison.
    The MP5 has seen a variety of changes to its stock, front grip, magazine and sighting to suit particular operations and the MP5K is the shortest version of the MP5 family:
    There are several AEG airsoft versions of the MP5K by Galaxy, Classic Army, Tokyo Marui and of course the CYMA version we are going to be talking about, I have seen the CA sportline MP5K and wasnt too impressed by the build quality plus the motor sounded like a blender going to town on a chalk board, however from reports of the gun it is suppose to be decent, the galaxy MP5k also from what I know is a decent starter however, again the plastic I have heard has snapped the stock off of it in the past. So for a full metal MP5K this seems the obvious choice.

Externals:
    Externally this gun is solid as hell but I will say as it is a cheaper metal I dont recommend dropping it anytime soon, hell infact I dont recommend dropping any gun anytime soon its just to what degree you are doing the dropping that is important.
    The entire upper receiver is metal and it has a lovely PDW flash hider on the end which does increase the length by about 5cm not much but I bought this weapon as a pistol really so thats a bit of a con. The Flash Hider comes off to reveal a 14mm negative thread that could be better and it doesnt look like it could support any long silencers so all you peeps who lurve your barrels long your out of luck here, your getting an MP5 anyway so I doubt your looking for long barrel length.
    The front sight post is of a different metal to the front sight protector this I found a bit strange I will post a picture of it. The cocking handle is pot metal and will most likely go flying off and hurt someone if you attempt to slap it so dont do that its not worth it, it doesnt serve any purpose anyway just to let you know, there is no ejection port on this gun to adjust the hop up I will explain that later, the rear sight is quite nice and clicks into place solidly to allow 4 different peeping tom views big, average, tiny and extra tiny it is adjustable for windage and elevation but isnt really necessary, its an MP5K if your aiming with it your doing it wrong please consult Neo or any action movie star preferably Bruce Willis.
    The end cap which holds the stock is very solid metal and hopefully wont break anytime soon. Another feature is the PDW stock which is really quite nice its solidly build and adds quite a bit of heft to the weapon, if you dont want to play with this stock you can take it off and have just the end cap on it, just take off 2 screws and your done.
    The lower receiver is made of a solid plastic not sure if it is polymer but it doesnt flex or move whatsoever the front vertigrip and pistol grip feel incredibly comfortable to hold in the hand shouldered or firing from the hip rambo style, screaming. the front grip feels solid and has absolutely no wobble so externally the gun is brilliant.

Internals:
    Right I have not mustered the courage to take the gearbox apart due to how awkward it was just to take the body apart well for we it was I normally work on AUG's M4's and gas weapons but from what I have seen of the gearbox design it is very well made and reinforced in all then right places, when I take this baby apart I will post a picture of it far as I can tell there are metal bushings, solid gears, not sure about the spring although from the epicly loud motor I can assume it is pretty strong, the cylinder looks solid and oddly does not have any venting.
    The motor is very strong it is the equivalent of a high torque aftermarket motor as the pinion gear on top is hard to spin and the magnets on it are just ridiculous if you put it next to an old television set it would immediately ruin the entire thing you may also have to change the height of the motor as mine was screaming at me when I originally got it.
    The hop unit far as I can tell is of a good solid design although I think there might be something wrong with mine perhaps the hop rubber has split as there is absolutely no consistency on the shot placements from 10m away, as for the inner barrel it was pretty clean when I got it and has a good crown to it think it is of standard diameter 6.08 though, the hop changer thing is in an awkward location as you need to remove the front grip to change it which isnt the best design.
    As for the wiring, it is very low resistance which is good for the trigger reaction time I quite like it however it is again located in the front hand grip along with the hop changer and the battery connector.

Overall:
    This is a great tiny gun however the gearbox set up seem to be set for a damn Sniper rifle or something the FPS out of the box was at 400fps which is just stupid, I think it is a combination of a strong spring, and a very good seal which comes with most CYMA weapons, hopefully it will settle dow as I have been repeatedly half pulling it to make the spring go back and stay back this has worked on most of my guns when I have wanted to lower the FPS I will check it tomorrow at the game . Another note the battery is real awkward to install as it is front wired so when you do install the battery I recommend you leave it in there, it saves a lot of time.

I will send an update after I destroy my enemies tomorrow on how well it operates.

Re: CYMA MP5k PDW

Continuation
    As promised I will state how it performed on Sunday and I have to say I am very impressed by the weapons range and effectiveness although the ROF is too slow for my liking, this can be changed with a vented cylinder and weaker spring this will drop the FPS considerably but thats not something I generally worry about as this is really a CQB weapon, I found the first few magazines worth of rounds to be very inconsistent but after this seemed to be steady, I managed to get something hiding in a bush after he kept laying down hiding from my sniper then attempted a last ditch charge which resulted in one of the magazines falling apart and releasing a torrent of BB's all around me this was no fault of the gun more the bad magazine design the pin apparently wanted to go on a walk and leave the poor poor shell of the magazine to fend for itself.

Another game involved us on defense and I have to say I was pleased with the results the gun operated brilliantly to keeping peoples heads down and had enough consistency at longer ranges to keep up with the usual M4s and G36s that populate the field.

Problems
    I will say one thing about this weapon the folding stock is solid but the hinge is not, it is made from pot metal and is not strong at all, I am unsure as to how long this part should last but it certainly should not just be after 2 games thats for sure and considering I only brought the stock out on two occasions to help with aiming I dont treat weapons rough either Im a strong believer in treating weapons well to produce results, also I am very surprised it broke so fast considering how strong most of the construction seems to be please bear this in mind.

Overview
    Overall I am pleased with the way the gun handled itself in the sea of generic M4s and g36s that are in the mostly boring and slow woodland games it makes for a change and if you are looking to really mess with other people with there totally radical 500 rounds a second super awesome £500 M4 then get this, one thing I will start including in my reviews are can this weapon hold its own by itself and its usability.

Usefulness
    I would honestly say this weapons usability is above average, due to its small size its highly mobile which is great for CQB/Urban scenarios against a sniper as it is mobile you can with practice and thought move up on the sniper well as it is again highly mobile against other AEG's in a woodland environment would need practice due to its shorter barrel it is inaccurate over long distances.

Ratings
    Range 3/5 (5/5 is a sniper, 1/5 is a springer pistol)
    Accuracy 3/5 (5/5 is a sniper, 1/5 is a springer pistol)
    Rate of Fire 3/5 (5/5 is a suppression based weapon 1/5 is a sniper)
    Mobility 4/5
    CQB usage 5/5
    Woodland usage 3/5
    Upgradability (external and internal) 4/5

Comment

interesting review,its inspired me to get mine out and give it the once over
      VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
      trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Thanks! its a decent weapon so I think it deserves credit

Comment

Thanks for the review, ive descided to get one for CQB and back up for my newly tuned VSR.

Comment

wierd. Mine does my head in! I have a tuned VSR-gspec and i was hoping for this to be good. Firstly its far too heavy due to the cheap metal body and the hopup on mine is a joke. If its slightly on its spinning up .3g's. Plus the hopup bar isnt stiff so it moved during shooting resluting in teh bb's hitting the moon. I aint impressed, kinda want to shift mine tbh.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

cheesenibbler Started airsofting properly about 4 years ago been doing it ever since joined an airsoft society at Nottingham Trent University was a member and became secretary and again I have a great time just enjoying myself on the field. I am now the airsoft tech guy for Southdown airsoft! Find out more about cheesenibbler
            Working...
            X