• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review Wanted: King Arms Thompson

Hi, im looking for a review on my favorite gun

thanks

Re: Review Wanted: King Arms Thompson

What do you want to know about it? I have a TM and a King Arms deluxe.

Stu

Comment

Which male would you recommend?

Comment

A very brief review.
        Tokyo Marui first Tommy around. Will fire 80-100k rounds before changing parts internally. Comes with an good hop. Will take version 6 or 7 gears dependant on the way you place a special 8 shaped bushing on the gearbox. Uper reciever and barrel are all metal. Lower reciever plastic, as is the fake wood. The barrel if used with a sling is very weak and if pressure is applied (you falling!) it could snap the barrel. Fix kits for these are made by someone on the WW2 airsoft forum. The TM model is based on the M1a1 which was (i believe) the most made thompson during WW2. Shoots at approx 280 FPS and can be picked up normally between £200-£250 brand new.

CYMA / cybergun came next as a clone of the TM for around half the price. They adjusted a few compoents though so its not exactly the same. They strengthed the barrel and adjusted a screw in the front grip to go straight in instead of at an angle. The fake wood on the majority I have seen is "orangey" in colour. The gearbox is cast direct from a TM although the quality isnt good and I know for certain that a CYMA thompson cage will not fit a TM ( without modificatin at least) These were shooting pretty hot as well anything from 350 -400 FPS. They did the M1A1 but also a 1928 model (on gangster type!) This comes with a fluted style barrel. Vertical fore grip, a compensator & a high cap drum mag. The rest of the gun is the same as the M1A1. The 1928 version though isnt an exact copy and this is where CYMA cheaped out. The upper reciever should have the bolt on top and not on the side. The butt of the gun should be different and the compensator although accurate should be bigger. The M1A1 you should be able to get for £120 - £150 new. The 1928 £150 - £200.

King arms came last with there thompson. They kept the same barrel design as the TM, so it may go snap if you fall with a sling! They aslo came pretty hot with a m120 spring so shooting about 380FPS (mine was anyway!) They do both types M1A1 and the 1928 version. They also do metal lower recievers which you can "upgrade" too if you brought a cheap kings arm one (platic wood and plastic lower reciever like TM) and wood kits also. Or you could just buy a king arms deluxe one which comes with real wood and is ALL metal. King arms lower recievers will not fit a TM or CYMA (without a lot of modification!) The gearbox on my king arms was a bit rough. It was how ever one of the first batch but its just not "snappy" cast marks are every where and feels cheap. The motor cage again I know is not compatable with a TM and the gearbox is slightly different. Instead of using the wierd version 6 bushings it uses 7mm (perhaps 8mm) bearings so will only fit 1 type of gear set. Comes with some nice trades tho.

So to sum it up.
        CYMA cheap and cheerful. Good gun if you wanted to dip your toes into WW2 airsoft. Or just fancy a tommy gun.
        TM Reliable, use straight out the box.
        King Arms can be cheap (with plastic parts) or the most expensive (with full metal and real wood).

As I have owned all 3 and currently have 2 sitting in boxes in my living room let me know if you need any more info!

Stu

Comment

I bought myself a CYMA M1A1, and after a little bit of work its a very good gun, and by no means something not to sniff at.

What i did to mine:
          Changed the gearbox plastic bushings for metal ones, put in an m90 spring (with a copper collet) to bring the fps to a friendly 330~fps, then i gave the gear box a complete degrease, reshimmed the gears, and greased accordingly. Then i replaced the o ring on the piston and around the cylinder head as i didnt think they looked the best quality.
          I then replaced the hop up for a TM version (be warned they are rarer than rocking horse poo so the states is your best bet, mine cost £36). I then thread locked every metal to metal screw which would eliminate any future wobble.
          After that i swapped out the connectors (both of them) for deans, and thats where i am now! its a cracking gun, and after a few hours work got it to my usual high standard.
          I plan to get a wood conversion kit for it at some point, or even convert a real M1A1 wood furniture myself. But i intend to save that task for next year, as i dont fancy abusing my US jump uniform too much in the winter months as it was a tad pricey!

Comment

Good review Badger, although one difference I have had between our two guns is my CYMA came with metal bushings already installed as new. Don't know at the time the run was of the gun (when the clone's first came into the uk or the current guns avaliable) And yes good point on degreasing and sorting out the gearbox from scratch as the shimming and the sheer amount of grease in most china guns is very suspisious! CYMA do their own wood hit for the thompson but the quality I think is naff (but then I am comparing it to my CAW and King arms ones) but should fit straight on without any modification. How ever if you want to fit a wood kit based on the TM setup a CYMA will not fit without modification.

Comment

im an ICS fan.. lol im used to having to modify things to fit

Oh one more thing, i replaced the air nozzle, as i was replacing the hop i thought id get one thats slightly more "paired" to the tm hop. Think it was a systema one i went for in the end.
              Which ever wood kit i end up with i will sand it down to bare wood and distress it myself afterwards. As nobody like a shiney new looking gun... says the guy who doesnt want to get his uniform dirty

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

callumjs Find out more about callumjs
              Working...
              X