Cyma akms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyma akms

After a very long day at the office I think it is yet again time to enter the realm of my airsoft collection, this time covering one of my favourites the CYMA AKMS.

Background:
    I literally wont bother with the background everyone knows the AK everyone knows there are thousands of varients this one is a somewhat modern version with a wood foregrip, slanted muzzle, somekind of fake bakelite pistol grip and folding stock.

Externals:
    Ill start from the front of the gun and work my way backwards just like you would do to a woman, anyway as mentioned befor it has the slanted muzzle which I love on these it serves no purpose on the airsoft version apart from to help protect the 14mm counter clockwise thread which if you must attach your uber awesome pro silencer to if you so choose to me myself am thinking more along the lines of attaching a barrett m82 muzzle break because I think itd be funny but hey thats what I like
    Next we have the outer barrel which is not smooth but feels very good and feels most importantly, strong, this is the same as the fake gas tube which is made out of what appears to be alumium. We have the front sight which is ajustable up and down but is not so important in airsoft but it is again very strong. we also have what appears to be a full length metal cleaning rod for the AEG built into the grip which I thought was a nice little feature most AKs I have seen do not have this and although not nessesary it is interesting.
    next we have the wooden foregrip/frontend the wood is okay, its lightweight and it can handle some damage so I am sure its fine.
    The top receiver for this as this has the underfolding stock on it is made out of steel and stays in place thanks to it being spring loaded and attached to the fake charging handle/bolt, the lower receiver is made out an unknown metal, seems strong so I aint going to complain.
    Rear sight is not great on this its a bit wobbly side to side unless you bash the metal in a bit to keep it in place, it is operational though.
    The magazine release and trigger guard are very strong and the magazine release feels very positive to move.
    The trigger is also metal and has a long pull with a strong spring, be weary for using it on semi auto!.
    The pistol grip is nice not very ergonomic and could give you cramp after a while but its again operational bear in mind this is an AK I do not expect it to be super comfy.
    Finally the stock which feels very stiff and responsive when moving it into its two positions spread o... I mean folded in and stock extended it has a slight bit of up and down wobble in the extended position but its not noticable.
    Sling points on this are on the front portion which is very thick but only on the left hand side so lefties be weary same with the rear sling point this one is far thinner but still is very strong and can take the weight of the gun on a single point well my one can try it IF YOU DARE.

Internals:
    Internally this is the same high quality internals by CYMA I am currently running a 7.4 lipo in this with no hitches, the gear set is nice I checked the shim job which was done individually on mine this may vary from gun to gun, compression was amazing on this and cyma had its interesting v notch hop rubber installed which produces great consistant long range shots, I dont foresee me having to change anything internally for a long time on this unless I want to make this high speed like everything I own, the internals are very solid, Version 3 gearbox very upgradable and very easy to take apart as well if you so wish to.
    It also has a metal hop unit which doesnt appear to affect the seal at all.

Overall:
    This is a very solid weapon that I would recommend to anyone being very strong and solid it feels good to hold, this is more aimed at being a woodland or urban weapon due to its lengths however cqb is not that much of an issue just fold the stock and presto a cqb ready gun, trigger response on the 7.4 lipo is good and ROF is decent as well.

Problems
    This weapon is quite heavy and the rear sight on it does not make it the most easy to line up quick shots in cqb, full auto at long range is easy pickings with this plus AK magazines are very useful holding 600 rounds and having a long wind period. As mentioned before the grip can give you cramp after extended use apart from those factors I dont see any other issues with this particular AEG.

Usefulness
    This weapons useability is very high due to its ability to become very compact, its upgradability, large magazine capacity, easy aiming (at mid to long range) and fantastic hop unit that allows rounds to travel straight and true down range.

Ratings

Range 4/5 (5/5 is a sniper, 1/5 is a springer pistol)
    Accuracy 4/5 (5/5 is a sniper, 1/5 is a springer pistol)
    Rate of Fire 4/5 (5/5 is a suppression based weapon 1/5 is a sniper)
    Mobility 3/5
    CQB usage 3/5
    Woodland usage 4/5
    Upgradability (external and internal) 3/5 Externally is not that upgradable there are parts out there internally this is great as an upgrade platform

I hope this has been helpful if you have any questions feel free to ask

Re: Cyma akms

Glad to see another fan. Hope youdon't mind if I add my two cents:
    I'd not seen your review, but got my hands on one of these when my local site bought a small batch to add to their rental collection. Its bonkers good. Picked mine up for £130 and must have been near the end of stock because two weeks later they are now sold out.
    I'd support everything you say in your review. Particularly the range and accuracy, which is bonkers.
    Some points I'd add for any prospective purchaser (if you are lucky to find any in stock in the UK)
    1) It will hop at least a .28g BB just fine. I didn't have any heavier to test with, but the optimal setting for straight flight on a .28 was only about 1/4 on, so I'd say you could possibly go a bit heavier, but for an assault rifle why would you?
    2) It comes a little hot - mine about 355 - but beds in at about 10-15 less than that after a couple of mags through, so its very site friendly without needing downgrading.
    3) The supplied NiMH battery fits nicely into the battery compartment but the wires and connectors don't! As a LiPo man, this isn't a problem, but anyone who wants to use the supplied battery is going to have to be a bit clever.

I absolutely love this. I bought it as a backup gun to my frankengun M4 - which I love, but as I like to tinker with it a lot it has a habit of going clonk mid skirmish. Thought I'd leave this stock to have back in the safe zone so it won't spoil my day. Now I have it in my hand I'm really pleased to say it more than fits the bill, so much that actually I think keeping my M4 as my primary is probably an emotive rather than objective decision.

I'd not even think about internal upgrades. It might get some bits on the ris and perhaps a little paint job, but that's it.

Comment

I've had a few Cyma AKs and they are generally accepted to be among the best AK aegs out there. I prefer the build of the Dboys/Kalash AKs but they can require some tweaking internally unlike the Cyma

Comment

Any of the VFC-clone CYMAs (CM048, CM040 etc.) are excellent, great build quality, much better the TM based CYMAs.

Comment

Just to add a little of my ongoing experience with a Cyma AKM that might be of use to others.

Twice now the shot consistency has suddenly gone all to poop and its started making that noise like the hop rubber has torn, you know the one, and when you take the mag out and shoot it it sounds just fine. In light of what it seemed like, the first time I got it home and made to change the hop rubber but on inspection it seemed fine, so I gave it a little spray of silicone to get it back in and it was shooting back on top form. My assumption at the time was that the hop rubber had shifted or pinched. This theory was shot down when it happened the second time.
          Yesterday I had exactly the same experience mid skirmish, and going back to the safe zone to swap to my other AEG I mentioned what had happened to the site's gun tech. He mentioned how they had had exactly the same experience with the cyma's they had got as rental guns, and that it was actually fixable with a spot of silicon oil into the hop unit. I gave it a go there and then, and immediately good results.

So this surprised me a little. I'd heard about hop rubbers drying out, but its never happened so quickly. In my other guns it seems that the little bit of oil that gets on it when I clean the barrel is sufficient to keep it supple, and a few times I've done too much and had to run a few hundred BBs through it before it has returned to good performance.

I did notice that the stock hop rubber is one of these grooved ones like the firefly, and so guys with more experience of that sort of hop could tell me if drying out is a feature of these, but what ever. I can tell you that my experience is that the stock hop in the CYMA AKM is excellent when it works, is prone to drying out, and when it does is fixable instantly with a very sparing squirt of silicone.

Comment

Think that the groove isnt the issue my stock rubber was the same as what you described I can say it wore down extremely fast for a hop rubber lets say it was close to becoming moundless after about 15000 rounds through it which personally is low? I mean I dont know how often other people change it but I have never needed to change it out so fast, mine never had an issue of drying out but I can say mine was extremely soft Ive swapped it out for a PDI W hold and its been fine since not needed to put the hop on as much so that may have had something to do with it as it was an extremely soft hop rubber

Comment

What Cyma model we are talking about? There is several ak models... I am trying to find a aks74u ... really like the looks...

Enviado desde mi GT-N7000 mediante Tapatalk

Comment

the AKMS model as stated in the thread title, its the full length one with a under folding stock. The AKS74U is the shorter version with a side folding stock, internally not much difference on the two uses same gearbox same hop etc

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

cheesenibbler Started airsofting properly about 4 years ago been doing it ever since joined an airsoft society at Nottingham Trent University was a member and became secretary and again I have a great time just enjoying myself on the field. I am now the airsoft tech guy for Southdown airsoft! Find out more about cheesenibbler
                Working...
                X