G and G M14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G and G M14

This is probably going to be a biased review and I probably will be getting flak for this as I am sure of lot of people have had great experiences with G and G I can only say I have not but this is my personal opinion with a lot of background on it also.

Background:
    The M14 was built out of an era where Americans needs a full auto battle rifle and this is what was created a 7.62 beast of a weapon that had great long range accuracy but suffered greatly on full auto this saw limited action around the time it was first implimented but they are now realising its full potencial utilising it as a DMR.

Externals:
    The externals on this are the nylon fibre body with metal buttplate, plastic upper receiver and metal outer barrel, Ill start from the front of this, the flashider is specific to the M14 and is made very strongly it can be removed to reveal some sort of thread this is not a 14mm one please be weary of this the outer barrel is very strong and I do not foresee anyone managing to break this unless they sit on it or something stupid like that. The top receiver is as mentioned before plastic and shiney not much to say here it flexes easily but I doubt it will get damaged unless you swing it into something at which point i will ask why are you swinging your £250 gun around. The lower receiver is nylon fibre and feels strong and durable and it has a metal buttpad on it which is not very comfortable, one thing about the nylon fibre that is good is that it keeps the weight down I have tried the real wood version and the weight is stupid for an airsoft gun. One other point that is aestetically pleasing is the bolt the bolt on this is mean makes a proper nice "KA-CHAK" sound when moved which is nice but totally unessesary unless on a GBBR. Externally this is a very nice AEG.

Internals:
    The internals on this oh god the internals these are so awful lets start with the good parts of the gearbox. Right onto the bad parts, just kidding the good points are the motor it is very efficient and does not get hot at all when firing, the wiring is top notch as well, the selector plate is specific to the g and g design, full metal and attaches onto the outside via a pair of screws, this is on both sides of the gearbox and finally the inner barrel and hop unit is good it appears to be a tightbore about 6.05 and the hop unit is extremely consistant and easy to utilise. Lets move onto the bad points I hope you have all day, Ill start with the background i had this particular AEG for about 6 months, used it maybe about 10 times during that time, the tenth game saw all of this happen within the space of about 2 minutes, the gears managed to destroy 3 teeth off of the middle gear, then the tappet plate snapped in two then the piston decided it had enough of life and commited sepuku and finally the trigger mech inside the gearbox the spring that holds it together managed to let loose and found itself caught in the gears! wonderful stuff, I may have got a Duff m14 but I have to say every other AEG I have ever owned none of them have had any issues, before you start blaming it on the battery type I was using or the BBs I use back then I was running a 8.4 3300 battery and madbull bbs so these were not factors in my guns want to destroy itself. After taking apart the gearbox and removing all the broken parts I left this alone for an extended period of time as I really could not be bothered with this anyone who has ever owned any M14 AEG will know these are not the type of AEGs you want to ever take apart, the G and G one has about a dozen different sized allen keys as well as the most funky looking anti reversal latch that also doubles as a selector plate. one more thing that happened to mine, I never took this weapon apart before this happened when I was taking this apart the screw that attaches to the selector plate as well as the anti reversal latch managed came with no thread some genius before me went to town on this screw, brilliant! Another thing, the hop rubber was split when i got it out with very little pressure on the rubber also. When I decided to get some new internals for this I had to shop around to find them, parts of the interals are specific to the G and G model as mentioned below:

Tappet Plate (this was ridiculous I received this reinforced version that required about half an hour of sanding before it would fit the damn gearbox and actually move)
    Nozzle (nearest thing to this one would probably be an AUGs
    Cylinder head
    Anti reversal latch
    Hop Unit (this is actually compatable with AUGs but I thought it is good to mention it here anyway)
    Trigger Mech

Anyway as far as I could tell with this particular AEG this appeared to be a Gen 1 maybe they worked out these issues but one thing for sure they didnt work out is the awkwardness of design that is the internal gearbox and its takedown to get there.

Overall:
    For a gun that is £250 stock you would expect it to be so much better and not break after 6 months of use I would not recommend this to anyone just due to its awkwardness for spares and upgrades, its just awkward, While it was working it was a good AEG its just a real letdown when you dont even upgrade something like this for this price and it breaks that fast while you have other AEGs for half the price that just keep going. If you want realism and an inpracticable weapon then get this, if you want something that is highly upgradable, just as good as this but far more wieldy also get an AUG the hop chambers are identicle, has a large chunk of the size taken off it but has the exact same inner barrel length and has a version 3 gearbox thats easy to get to. M14 G and G on the other hand has specific parts for an already rare version 7 gearbox that even the upgraded parts do not fit properly and is super long.

Problems
    It sucks it just really sucks for something that is £250. Internally this sucks majorly thanks to its weak internals.

Usefulness
    No
    Usefulness is just no okay fine Ill do a proper review this is good for woodland and if you want to look like a badass then this is worth it, the range and accuracy is as good as the AUGs thanks to the compatable hop chambers and inner barrel lengths, however for urban and CQB I would not recommend this at all due to its long size, it did while it was working have good crisp trigger response. Upgradability is its weakest point I just wouldnt even bother with that.

Ratings
    Range 4/5 (5/5 is a sniper, 1/5 is a springer pistol)
    Accuracy 4/5 (5/5 is a sniper, 1/5 is a springer pistol)
    Rate of Fire 4/5 (5/5 is a suppression based weapon 1/5 is a sniper)
    Mobility 2/5
    CQB usage 2/5
    Woodland usage 4/5
    Upgradability (external and internal) 2/5

I hope this has been helpful if you have any questions feel free to ask

Re: G and G M14

Did you have it from new? Does it not come with a years warranty?
    YouTube Channel - Airsoft Sniper videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/coldy30

Comment

Far as I can remember I dont think it did, I maybe wrong and I remember when it broke I asked if someone could repair it I was told they can do it for £45 plus parts, no way was I gonna spend that amount to let someone repair it, anyway this was years ago when I bought it and yeah, it was brand new when I bought it so far as I can tell, it was bought from **** ********* which I have used on various occasions since then and never had any problems with the AEGs apart from that one.

Comment

the silencer is 14mm but its coarser pitch than everybody else

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

cheesenibbler Started airsofting properly about 4 years ago been doing it ever since joined an airsoft society at Nottingham Trent University was a member and became secretary and again I have a great time just enjoying myself on the field. I am now the airsoft tech guy for Southdown airsoft! Find out more about cheesenibbler
        Working...
        X