Ares UMP Review wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares UMP Review wanted.

Hi guys and gals... considering buying an Ares UMP... Just wanted to know if anyone could give me a review of them please.
    I have owned a G&G UMP but sold it a while ago as it wasnt being used much, But now i wanna give the Ares version a try. Also if you have had one of the Ares ones does it take G&G mags, and vice versa.

Cheers
    FL.

Re: Ares UMP Review wanted.

Sorry, CBA to do a full review, but I can run through some frequently asked stuff and answer any questions if you post here or PM.

PREFACE: The Ares UMP has been cloned by the company known as S&T, who previously cloned the Ares Tavor. The clone, sold under Umarex, is basically an Ares UMP with proper trademarks, with very similar external and internal quality. IMO if you're buying one you might as well buy the Umarex version--although you don't get the fake bullets showing up in the mag window.

1. Externals are not as nice as the G&G UMG, not by a long shot. Depending on which production run the trademarks might be completely wrong or a bit inaccurate. Molding lines are everywhere. Forward charging handle is nonfunctional. At least the mags have fake bullet windows in them--by the way, yes they're G&G compatible. If you get the Umarex UMP (which is just a clone of the Ares/Star one) it'll have correct trades, if that matters to you. As for internals, I don't think I've met one person who'd rate Ares internals over G&G top tech, so take from that what you will. To me a gun that can shoot is a gun that can shoot and I've yet to have to take mine apart.

2. It's a version 3 gearbox running stick battery, so basically it's an AK in a UMP's body. However, being smaller and lighter means that you actually get some small but noticeable recoil out of it. This is of course very VERY subjective.

3. Flash hider/silencer threading is done in an infuriating way. Basically, you know how most barrels have the thread, and a flash hider or silencer screws ONTO the barrel, yes? On the Ares UMP, the flash hider has the thread, and threads INTO the barrel. How does the suppressor work you ask? Well, the silencer is basically one piece with a second flash hider, and the whole thing screws on in place of the original flash hider. I'm sorry I don't have a photo for you, but this basically means that the flash hider and suppressor is totally proprietary and you can't use anything else on this UMP.

4. So bottom line would I recommend it? Despite all the flaws, I would actually. As a student economy matters to me--in some cases, it's the only thing that matters. So, if you can't afford or can't find a G&G UMG but still want an UMP then go for it. Performance you can upgrade, reliability is on par, it shoots nice enough and mine came at 325fps. Most airsofters I've talked to don't like them since there's such a great alternative in the UMG, but then again so many things in airsoft is down to personal preference OR the exact gun you hold in your hands.

Comment

Re: Ares UMP Review wanted.

Personally i prefer the Double Eagle clone of the G&G, over the ARES/STAR/Umarex one.

1. its stronger and more robust, WITHOUT the seamlines.
      2. Charging handle works, it shows the hop.
      3. G&G compatible, i have just fitted my DE one with a GEN 2 hop and tightbore. All the G&G mags fit too!
      4. the DE one is dirt cheap! and shoots consistantly at 330.
      Dead or alive....your coming with me

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

forest legend Find out more about forest legend
      Working...
      X