STAR L85 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STAR L85 Review

I've got abit of time on my hands so I may aswell write this while I can.

Now I haven't actually used the gun yet, but already there's so much to talkabout.

I'm going to keep the SUSAT to a seperate review, as the gun is the main subject here.

Ok, so i'll try and keep it simple and straightforward:

First impressions:

The first thing you notice, and feel is the weight.

It's a heavy beast, and with the Susat it's even heavier.
    I believe without the susat, the gun comes in at 3900g, and with the susat 4300g.

Build Quality:

Now, this is what i'm really excited about.

Steel. Yes, real steel!! Not chromium womium bomium....STEEL!! :eek:

Build quality on this gun is fantastic. When I first handled the STAR, I was finding it difficult to distinguish it from the real one.

The butt pad is nice and grippy, sticks nicely into your shoulder.

The cheek pad is very comfrotable, and aligns your eye nicely with the sights.

Again, build quality is very surprising on this.

Cosmetics:

The cocking handle can only be pulled back a few CM to reveal the hop up wheel.

I'm not sure why it's only limited to a few cm, but hey it's not like you need it.

The handguard is a slight let down. It's not the A2 version.

Star simply attatched the Teardrop / flame charging handle and mag release cover and called it the A2, forgetting the handguard.

Not really a problem if you can't tell the difference, but the A1 guard looks slightly longer and thinner.

Again, not really an issue in terms of practicality.

Ergonomics:

Being a bullpup, mags in the rear.

So reloading can be an issue for left hand users.

And yes. If you're left handed, you can use the airsoft l85

But overall, very comfortable.

Accessories:

You're quite limited when it comes to bolting on accessories to the gun.

No standard rail interface system. Which measn you'll have to drill some on yourself, like the real guys do.

There are aftermarket rail systems availbel to replace the front handguard, but so far only the real deal is available, from Daniel defense I believe.

So if you have a spare £300 lying around, then go for it!

In the mean time, a copy is aparently being put into production, here in the UK! Yes, in the UK...

UGL:

Yup.

A under slung grenade launcher is available, however only fits the STAR/ARES L85.

Quite pricey, but definatley completes the gun. I'd very much like to see someone attatch an eotech to the end of the UGL like the new modded L85's.

Bayonet:

Now, I don't recommend attatching a bayonet to the end of your L85 when getting up close and personal with you're work mates on a sunday afternoon at you local site... !

But since the STAR L85 is such a nice replica, a bayonet would look really nice on the end of the gun when on your wall.

Some modification is needed. Don't ask me though, I'm unsure...

Overview:

I will write a second half to the review, which'll include performance, range ect.

But to sum it up:

Build quality: ***** 5/5 (Steel. May I say more? )
    Replica accuracy :**** 4/5 (handguard is a let down)
    Realism:**** 4/5 (Feels real. Lack of working parts)

This gun is not only a respectable Airsoft gun, but in my opinnion a worthy wall hanger.

This really is an impressive replica of the real thing.

More to follow:

Re: STAR L85 Review

Nice review. A few points to add though:

Originally posted by bravotwozero View Post
    Build quality on this gun is fantastic. When I first handled the STAR, I was finding it difficult to distinguish it from the real one.
    Few people realise this.

The handguard is a slight let down. It's not the A2 version.

Star simply attatched the Teardrop / flame charging handle and mag release cover and called it the A2, forgetting the handguard.
    The A2 is still very often issued from Chillwell for Op Herrick deployment with an A1 handguard.

This really is an impressive replica of the real thing.
    ^ +1

Comment

Thanks for the review. I agree it is a fantastic replica.

My hand guard as 'A2' on it. I did buy it off the forum when I wanted to change my L85A2 from a carbine to full length rifle. Is it possible it's a real steel hand guard then?
      Drop'm out with a low cap and save the environment.

Comment

Could of been ICS?

But now that you mention it, my STAR has 'L85A2', written on the handguard.

Although I can't really say for sure, as I mine is second hand.

Comment

some more photos of the gun :

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

bravotwozero Eyes on. Find out more about bravotwozero
          Working...
          X