Review: Tokyo Marui G36K recoil shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: Tokyo Marui G36K recoil shock

Upon the time of writing this review, this gun is very difficult to obtain in the UK. I believe this one is the first one that was on sale in the United Kingdom. It was bought from none other than www.zerooneairsoft.com. If you would like to buy one of your own, please either call them or email them as the gun is not yet listed on the site or stock checker.

Features of the gun
    -Features the new Tokyo Marui recoil shock set up
    -Built in carry handle scope
    -Takes regular AEG batteries
    -Takes regular TM G36 magazines

First impressions
    When I first ordered this gun, I thought the price was high, clocking in at £400 new. Although this was the price of the first "prototype sale" one, I thought that after the very impressive TM SOPMOD M4, this one should be worth the price. I imagine that it won't cost this much after a while, after they start being imported and sold.

So, I placed my order after selling my P90 and 1911. I also ordered it with upgrades so I wouldn't have to worry about paying postage to ever send it back again. As usual with Zero One, it was posted quickly by next day delivery. No problems at all.

So, this is how the gun looks when you first get it.

The box and packaging are fantastic. Straps and elastic to hold the gun and magazine in place with cardboard cuts to keep the BB's and manuals in place. The box is great and looks lovely, it's what you'd expect from Tokyo Marui. It comes with a magazine, some TM BB's and the usual TM manuals. Underneath the cardboard the gun sits on is an unjamming rod and an orange/red stopper cap to put on the end of the gun.

So, it's well packaged.

The gun itself is fantastic. It's very lightweight. It is made from the usual TM ABS plastics.

Even though it's plastic, it's robust with no creaks, great TM quality. It's also very light weight. With the magazine and battery in it and the stock folded, you can hold this thing outstretched with 1 arm easy.

The carry handle and built in scope are great. The eye relief is brilliant, it's very easy to see down. The crosshairs are great and even have mil-lines (instead of mil-dots), which can be handy for longer ranges. It's very easy to adjust with an Allen key by a small hole on the top and side for windage and elevation. It also has 3x magnification, so there's not a lot else you can ask for in this carry handle! To top it all off, it has a rail on top of the built in scope which you can attach a different sight to if you like.

At the front of the gun is also a small rail to attach anything you like. This can be moved further down the foregrip or onto the sides. It's also ready to take any other rails you would like to add to it.

As usual with G36's, it features a folding stock. This is also very robust and keeps locked in place whether it's in or out.

So overall it has everything you'd expect from a G36, made to top quality standards. It is approximately 285 FPS out of the box from *** ****'s review (see video links below).

Overall quality: 10/10

Recoil shock? What's that? How does it work?
    The recoil shock system is a genius mechanical set up designed by Tokyo Marui. It features weights in key places across various models of guns to imitate the shock of recoil. Although it goes without saying that the recoil of an airsoft gun can never compare to the recoil of a real firearm, it still feels great. It makes every other airsoft gun feel very static. The recoil shock system makes a gun far more fun to fire whilst also adding a slighter element of realism. You can't keep your crosshair perfectly in the same place on a target whether you try to or not.

To see how the recoil system works, please see these two videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXHUFScbcFM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOec98mjf_c

Performance
    I had my gun upgraded from the moment I received it, so I cannot comment on it's stock performance. However, firing at 350 FPS with a good tightbore barrel, I can confirm that the performance is great. The accuracy is pinpoint with a great distance. It is a fantastic performing gun.

To see the performance of mine, please see this video. You'll see just how good a gun this one really is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TXDxu42ZZ4

Why should I buy this instead of the TM SOPMOD M4?
    As an owner of a fully upgraded TM SOPMOD M4 (shown below) with upgrades very similar to my G36K, I imagine people will want to know why should they have this instead of the SOPMOD M4. The SOPMOD M4 is cheaper now, coming in at £400, same as the TM G36K. It is also full metal with a working bolt stop function. So, here are some reasons why these two are different and the better characteristics of each one:

TM SOPMOD M4 pros
    *Quick change battery function
    *Full metal construction
    *More rails
    *Working bolt stop function, stops firing when out of ammo until the bolt stop catch is pressed to allow the gun to fire again
    *More cosmetically upgradeable
    *Recoil shock system

TM SOPMOD M4 cons
    *Heavier
    *Gearbox is tougher to upgrade due to specific parts being needed
    *Only takes TM SOPMOD M4 magazines unless you get a specific adaptor to take old magazines
    *Batteries are specific to the TM SOPMOD M4 and are expensive
    *More expensive to get to full potential

TM G36K recoil shock pros
    *Lightweight
    *Takes standard mini AEG batteries
    *Takes standard G36 magazines
    *Folding stock
    *Comes with great carry handle and carry handle scope
    *Recoil shock system
    *Cheaper to upgrade to full potential

TM G36K recoil shock cons
    *Not as tough as the full metal TM SOPMOD M4
    *Same price as the TM SOPMOD M4, making it the less favorable choice for the price
    *Not as many cosmetic upgrades available
    *No bolt stop function when the magazine is out of ammo

So overall, the choice is yours. The TM SOPMOD M4 is more robust and much tougher, with more functionality and cosmetic upgrade ability, whilst the G36K is lighter, more universal for magazines and batteries and cheaper to get to it's full potential.

Final verdict
    Overall, the gun is great. The price is a bit much at the time of writing this review, but this should drop over time. It's one of Tokyo Marui's best guns. The recoil shock system is as good as the TM SOPMOD M4, so there is little difference in that aspect. The accuracy is great, the packaging is great, the gun is great and reliable.

Final rating: 9/10
    Why not 10 out of 10?
    I'm not rating it 10 out of 10 because it's expensive and it could've been constructed with better polymers closer to that of the real G36K.

Re: Review: Tokyo Marui G36K recoil shock

Originally posted by BillyWu View Post
    I'm not rating it 10 out of 10 because it's expensive and it could've been constructed with better polymers closer to that of the real G36K.
    I would have been all over this like a tramp on chips if not for the shiny plastic.

Good review though, cheers.

Comment

beautiful gun and great review, but yes shame about the shiny plastic lol

Comment

I bought one of these the other day and i have to say the plastic wasn't as bad as i thought, its just a shame its not like the nice polymer style ones that CA make. I've also noticed that the front sling mount is plastic where as my TM G36c has a metal one. weird. i thought they would have just used the same bit?
        And for the cost of the gun, the fact it doesn't come with the 2 siderails is a bit annoying.

Comment

Did you take the gun to a game yet?
          I have the same, standard g36k recoil, but I am afraid to put in a 345spring to destroy the piston...

What is the length of the barrel? because I want to buy a precision barrel for it too, but can't seem to find tha length.

Did you add any other upgrades afterwards?

Comment

It was a 363mm Prometheus. I didn't do any further upgrades, I had no problems with upgrading the gearbox.

I skirmished it quite a few times before I quit airsoft.

Comment

Just bought one of these, I think its looks awesome. Besides the shiny look to it. There still is that huge elememt of cool about this gun!
              Have kept my standard at 280 fps will see if that was a mistake or not in due time. Probably will last longer left as stock which is one of the big reasons why i left it stock.
              Every man dies, but not every man really lives

Comment

I've got one of these having previously owned a used SRC G36c. It is a fantastic gun overall, very accurate and with a decent range. The things that let it down are the shiny plastic (as already highlighted several times) as the SRC version feels more durable, creaks less and has a generally superior finish. The fire selector is a bit woolly, with no clear click between safe/semi/auto so I find myself constantly checking it. The weight hadn't been an issue to me before I read the above posts are I had a bit of an aha moment, it just doesn't feel as heavy and as solidly built as my old SRC.

The good points however way outweigh these considerations for me. The recoil, although not as dramatic as I though it would be is excellent fun and adds a little extra dose of realism. The range is good, the rof is average-good but the accuracy (after some judicious upgrades by a friend) is brilliant. Battery fitting is less of a pain as the TM has a cradle to fit the battery so gone are the days of my swearing endlessly as the battery fouls when I try to slide the foregrip back onto the rifle.

Generally, I love this gun, but that glossy plastic has to go!

Panda
                I'm not a big fat panda. I'm THE big fat panda
                SKADOOSH!

Comment

Krylon Acrylic Clear varnish will sort that out. Just make sure the plastic is washed, free of grease and dry first.

Comment

Originally posted by Panda View Post
                    Generally, I love this gun, but that glossy plastic has to go!
                    I actually own the above G36 Which i purchased from Kodiak on these forums some time ago. (a year and a half or so atleast...)

Anyway the gun is fantastic, Out of every single gun i've had this is the only rifle i've kept without questions. everything else has been swapped usually within weeks of getting it.
                    Accuracy is great with the TB and the range is phenominal. (stock hop/ect)

the only issue i have like yourself is that god-awefull cheap-a$$ black plastic TM used. its got on my nerves to such an extent that i've since thought about buying an EBB Ares G36 and swapping over the furniture (quite afew times). does anyone know if the diamentions are similar to that of a TM?

as i understand it, the hop unit is the same, barrel shouldn't be an issue. and it uses a standard G36 lower/stock. so they should be compatible. the only problem i fear would be the upper reciever... :S

any ideas anyone?
                    - Chris

Comment

I have one i left in the capable hands of my gun-tech for a service he managed to fit it in an ares g36 body i looks and feels loads better not so shiny and H&K trades on it to boot

Comment

I have a CA G36k and fully intejd to find a TM G36k to donate some internals as still, with the moeny TM are asking they sre still supplying CRAP externals!
                        HK MP5k PDW//IMI Uzi//HK MP5a4//HK MP5a5//M3 Grease Gun//HK51//L119a1//HK G36k//Colt M653//Colt M733 with M203//Steyr AUG A1//AMD 65//DSA SA58//Colt M16vn//H&K G3a3//Sig P226//Colt 1911a1//Sig P226r//STI 2011

Comment

The guide on how to do it is up , still need to get a CA body to see how much different they are to the ares shell , one thing that was missed on the post was its the older None-EBB ares body

http://airsoftodyssey.blogspot.co.uk...ikes-back.html
                          Please do not advertise on this forum

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Kodiak TM gun nut Find out more about Kodiak
                          Working...
                          X