X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agm Mp44

Just got my much awaited MP44 !!!

First impressions are very good.
    Looks and feels like the real thing to a point.

I'll try and get some piccies up over the next couple of days, but in the meantime:

General observations:

Comparisons to the real thing (as far as I can remember!) Pretty close to the real thing except for the select lever slides back and forth rather than rotates like the real thing. It's also in a slightly diferent position (higher).
    This is due to the simple mechanism employed to shunt the sector plate back and forth rather than use a rotating gear mech like the Scar. They've probably done to keep the pistol grip as slim as possible. It's much wider than the original anyway because the gun uses a standard version 2, M4 style gearbox and the motors in the grip.

It's virtually all made of alloy with the exception of the forward handguard (pressed steel) and the gas tube (copper!).

The wooden stock is well reproduced with the functioning tool-trap in the top as an added bonus. This does have a downside though, you can only get a 7 cell battery in it as the bored hole for the battery has to stop a couple of inches from the buttplate. If you didn't want to use the tool-trap it would be quite a straightforward job to bore the hole deeper and get a 8 cell jobby in the butt.

The bolt retracts and springs forward with a resounding clank when released, but it's probably not a good idea to do this too much, as the bolt and bolt cocking handle are also alloy and will break with too much use.

The ejection port covering the hop unit is held shut by a spring (the real one used to spring open upwards when the bolt was drawn back). This is also made of alloy!!

The mag is a work of art. It's made of steel and holds a shiteload of bb's! It has the usual rotary winder on the bottom and a quickwind keyhole in the side. (the key is provided, unlike some!) They've even reproduced the feed-lips and tucked the feed hole and loading hatch about a centimeter down, so the mag looks real from the side. Removing unused bb's in the feedtube is a pain, and needs the use of a small pointy object to push back the retaining latch.

As previously stated, it runs on a standard V2 style gearbox, but it has big brass bearings fitted and the shimming feels pretty good for a change on a chinagun.
    The BIG drawback is the attrocious wiring. It's the really crappy, lowstrand count steel crud that was very common on chinacrudguns a couple of years back. Bending it a few times breaks it, and it's so rigid that it chaffes very easily. In fact, the wiring insulation on my brand new gun is worn or cracked in at least five places! It'll have to be replaced asap for safety's sake alone!

I haven't gotten around to chrono'ing it yet, and I won't be testing it properly for a few days due to the aforementioned need for rewiring, but the few hundred rounds I put through it were a real pleasure. After minimal hop adjusting it was dropping the bb's spot on at 20 meters.
    I'm going to take the oppertunity to fit a mosfet at the same time as the rewiring, but this will take a bit of thought as space is quite limited inside the back-end, and a bit of "modding" will probably be required to get the new silicon cabling in place.

If anyone's interested I'll try and post some pictures of the process and also detail the complete stripdown.

All-in-all a really nice gun (despite the shite wiring).
    Feels good, shoots well and looks the mutts-nuts!

Not sure about the near two hundred quid asking price in the U.K. though.

This is after all a chinasoft, a really special chinasoft, but still a chinasoft...
    Don't tell the wife...

Re: Agm Mp44

Was waiting for someone to do a review on this!

The two hundred does seem a little cheeky, but i guess its a special.

looking forward to pics.

Comment

It's special now OW, cause there ain't many of them in the country, but within a year everyone will be stocking them. Chinagun manufacturers aren't well known for there limited edition models
      Praps the price will drop then (but I doubt it!)

Pics as promised:

Lefthand side:

Righthand side:

Incorrect select lever:

Mag:

Butt Trap:

Ejection Port/Hop Cover:

Battery location (note the shite wire!)

As you can see the alloy body mouldings are very good indeed, Crisp and sharp.

As you may also notice, AGM decided to mould the grip panels into the side plates rather than make them separate, wooden ones as per the real thing.
      It's a shame and detracts from the look, and something I'm going to correct by milling off the moulded ones and making up a pair of correct looking grips. They'll have to be clip fitted because the motor prevents a thru screw.

I'm also planning to refinish it in a correct gunmetal colour rather than the supplied, ubiquitous chinagun black. (Don't they possess any other paint out there?!?)

Apologies for the liberal greasing/oiling!
      This gun, as usual for a chinagun, was a dry as a witches tit on arrival.
      A quick peek inside the mechbox today revealed very little lube there as well.

And just in case you're wondering, it didn't come with the sling. It's a spare MP40 one I had kicking around.

I plan to detail a complete stripdown next if anyones interested, or the mods don't think this post is too long already :D
      Last edited by SkylinePidgeon; 26 March, 2009, 11:59.
      Don't tell the wife...

Comment

Cheers, good review.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

SkylinePidgeon I've been around longer than I can remember... Find out more about SkylinePidgeon
        Working...
        X