• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recoil shock TM SCAR-H (FDE)

Review
    TM SCAR-H

Overview
    This is one of Tokyo Marui's newer guns in their 'recoil shock' series of AEG's. It is the SCAR-H (also known as the Mk 17 Mod 0) 7.62x51mm battle rifle in flat dark earth colour (FDE).

Features
    ·Machined aluminium upper receiver.
    ·Plastic polymer lower receiver & stock.
    ·Working bolt stop feature.
    ·Recoil shock engine.
    ·Telescopic & folding stock with cheek raiser.
    ·Full set of machined aluminium RIS rails.
    ·Adjustable barrel length (comes with an extra 110mm barrel extension).

Approximate retail price: £560

Starting with the box...
    When you buy the gun, you'll be pleased with the quality of the packaging it comes in. Tokyo Marui make some good boxes and some great boxes for their guns. As with most other TM recoil shock AEG's, this gun comes in one of the best boxes I've seen. Nicely shaped, looks really nice in terms of appearance, comes with some velcro straps to stop the gun flying around in the box and even some complimentary BB's.

Inside the box, you get..
    ·The gun.
    ·110mm barrel extension.
    ·One mid capacity 90 round magazine.
    ·Manuals and a shooting target or two.
    ·6mm BB's.

Overall, this is one damn fine box.

The SCAR-H
    The SCAR-H in real life is a weapon developed by FN Herstal in Belgium to answer SOCOM's SCAR project. It is a very powerful battle rifle chambered in 7.62x51mm. This thing hits as hard as a sniper rifle.
    It's a very modular rifle, meaning you can change it to however you want it to look. It has many rails, folding front and rear sights, a folding/retractable stock with an adjustable cheek rest, it's ambidextrous for both the fire selector and the magazine release (which means you can pick the fire mode and release the magazine from both sides of the rifle). You can even move the charging handle to the other side.

All of these features are present on this airsoft TM version, besides obviously the internals. It's incredibly well built and very robust. There are no creeks or rattles at all and the finish is perfect. It looks 100% like the real thing even down to the fine details.
    I have only one issue with the structure of the gun and that's the tiny battery compartment space. You need to run this gun on a 7.4v LiPo battery if you want to get the most out of it. You'll have difficulty even fitting in a mini NiMH.

With short barrel and stock in · With long barrel and stock out

Performance
    If you've ever used any of the TM recoil shock AEG's, you'll know what kind of performance you're going to get from them. The SCAR-H is my personal favorite out of all the recoil shock guns I've owned. It undoubtedly 'recoils' the hardest out of the bunch and has a very, very distinct sound. With a good battery in this people will instantly hear it and think 'damn, that's a beast of a gun'.
    Range and accuracy is excellent, I can't really find anything to fault with the gun. I would recommend using some good BB's in it though as lower quality ones tend to not feed too well.

Advantages and disadvantages

Advantages
    ·Outstanding build quality.
    ·Brilliant and loud recoil shock action.
    ·Heavy, as a gun of this quality should be.
    ·One of the most adaptable rifles you can get.

Disadvantages
    ·Very expensive. Expect to pay least £600 for the gun and some magazines.
    ·Tiny battery compartment.
    ·Stock hinge allegedly prone to breaking.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 22 January, 2014, 18:20.

Re: Recoil shock TM SCAR-H (FDE)

Nice mini review. Agree with basically everything, loving the H, and even in CQB, its usable (as long as you haven't wacked a 16" inner barrel in it!)

Mine:

Comment

Great review, Just picked one of these up in black ( no FDE in stock) , looking forward to getting it out in the field, battery compartment seems fine with an 8.4 1600 mini vapex.

Comment

Not sure I like the M4 grip, has anybody fitted a more ergonomic grip on their SCARS? If so which one did you use and was conversion straight forward?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Kodiak TM gun nut Find out more about Kodiak
        Working...
        X