MagPul PTS Masada/ACR Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MagPul PTS Masada/ACR Review Thread

I've been informed that the standard off the shelf config will be - 14.5" barrel, standard polymer handguard and a folding stock.

The RIS and fixed stock on this one will be available as after-market addons, but I have no details on when the aftermarket parts will be available.

My planned setup is - 10.5" barrel/RIS/folding stock and usings MBUS front and back along with an AFG.

Comment

RRP depending, I could be tempted to get one later in the year to replace my Scar (which I got because the original A&K Masada had just sold out when I went instore ><) and G36c. Will wait and see how they hold up to being used and abused though before selling off my existing kit :P.
      AGM Scar L (Black) - KWA Glock 17 - CA B&T MP5A4

Comment

Just as a teaser from yesterdays action...

Comment

Me this weekend at SWAT Urban in Chester, rocking a MagPul PTS Masada!
          Picture courtesy of 'Nutz'.

Comment

Ok, I am starting to REALLY like that.

Goodbye wallet.

Scuffer I dont suppose I can ask you for a full list of what actually comes with the gun please mate?

Comment

Yer having seen some of the pictures of it, the black model is starting to grow on me now...........

Can't wait for my FDE one!

Dave - I've been told that the standard one will include: 14.5" barrel, standard polymer foregrip, folding/sliding stock, rear BUIS - at this point I don't know anything more than that unfortunatly, I would guess that it will also include a MagPul PTS mid-cap mag too.

Comment

Cheers mate if it comes with those setups, especially with an FG one coming out, it's looking more and more likely I'll be picking one of these up... :p

I'm not using lipo batteries though :S

Comment

Comment

Brief in game report

Ok, we had some lovely weather on Sunday and it proved to be the perfect day to run around with this shooting plastic at people!

Using ‘Blaster’ 0.2g BBs it chrono’d at 340FPS on a Guarder Chronograph, after that I set the hop, which involved a small tweak of the hop cog/wheel and the BBs where flying flat and straight. Unfortunately I didn’t have the facility to do any kind of scientific accuracy tests so it was straight into game. For the first game it was used by a team mate, while I used it for the afternoons games, firing roughly 2000 rounds over 3 hours.

The site (SWAT Urban in Chester) is a mix of terrain from open space and roads through to tiny rooms inside a maze of buildings. Initially I had my concerns using this, simply on a size issue – I usually use a 10.5/sliding stock M4 at this site due to how tight some of the buildings are, so I was expecting some issues wielding a 14.5/fixed stock gun. As it turns out, I was wrong – I think mainly due to the ergonomics of the gun. I’m 5’10 tall and the fixed stock was comfortable and natural to shoulder without being restrictively large, helping with this was the low weight of some of the plastic parts. The gun was tested and fed perfectly with the following Hi-Cap magazines – ICS/CA/JG/DBoys and PTS Mid-Caps.

Actually using it was a pleasure – snappy trigger response on semi and a good high ROF on the full auto bursts, inside the buildings it proved more than manoeuvrable enough while outside the range was very good, holding it’s own against anything of a comparable barrel size/power.

During my 2000+ rounds, I had 2 stoppages – the first semi ‘locked’, in that depressing the trigger would not do anything, switching to fully auto it fired as normal, then back to semi and it carried on working fine - I have no explanation for this, perhaps a look at the internals may explain although I put it down to a freak occurrence and it didn’t happen again nor did it happen when my team mate was using it in the morning. The second stoppage was from a mis-shaped BB getting stuck in the hop rubber; I popped the upper open and pushed out the bad BB, closed it up and carried on with no further problems.

Overall I was impressed with this in use; it did everything it said on the tin - kept up with the pace of play and felt very nice to use. I could see many players happily running these without issues, there’s always going to be small, basic tweaks that people will do (hop rubber/battery) to get what they feel is the most out of/change the performance of a stock gun, but in this form it really didn’t need anything doing and performed admirably particularly in the medium to long range outside games where I was out ranging most other AEGs.

Here’s some brief footage of it in game (used by a teammate) the footage is from a cheap gun cam so not amazing for which I apologise also ignore us messing about at the end.

VIDEO!

Comment

Sound quality of the vid didn't really help get an idea for the rof or sound output of the weapon (sounded like a whine/screech through my headset, not pleasant :P), but it does look fantastic.
                      The review is good too, makes the weapon itself sound very very tempting, even with what appears to be v2 gearbox semi-locking issue.
                      This is rapidly climbing my list of "do want!"s.
                      AGM Scar L (Black) - KWA Glock 17 - CA B&T MP5A4

Comment

I have an A&K Magpul Masada myself. Nice looking and well made. Full Systema internals and tighbore. Fires like a dream. But I was wondering if you knew how to get hold of those rear sights used by the Remmington ACR currently. (Also the same as the above pictures) Unfortunately my Masada has SCAR rear sights but the current ACR front sights. Anyone know how I can get hold of it?
                        Thanks, PM me if you know!
                        sigpic
                        All I feel when I shoot someone is the recoil.

UMP.45 w/ ACOG
                        A&K Magpul Masada w/ EOthech replica holographic

Comment

As per my PM, they use Magpul back up sights.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but seem like I've been waiting a lifetime for this to come out. Do you know when its coming out? And if you can pre-order anywhere?
                            TM 1911
                            TM M4 S-System
                            TM M14
                            CA M24
                            Star AW338

Comment

Production Model Update!

Ok chaps to add some more fuel for the fire of the endless speculation on here and some of the other forums, here are a few more pictures! I’ve been sitting on these for a while now – they show a final production model of the Masada (00003).

You’ll notice a few differences in it – firstly the gearbox shell and markings, the shell being black with ‘PTS’ markings along with other parts looking far more shiny and refined. Secondly with these better pictures you’ll be able to see some of the very nice detail, markings and finish of the externals up close and personal. Also I’ve included a few pictures of the standard foregrip.

Just to confirm a few things for people – this is the standard off the shelf set-up – 14’ barrel, fixed stock, standard foregrip; also a MBUIS and P-Mag will be included. For the UK forum members, you guys will have to wait an extra week or two after the rest of the world due to the UK spec Masada being made in a difference batch to the rest of the world (RoHS compliant, 330FPS and all legit UK ones will have a mark or hologram from the importer).

A few things that jumped out at me from this again was how solid and refined the finished thing felt, the operation was the same – still smooth and snappy and overall feeling very balanced. You’ve all heard me waffling on about the Masada’s pro’s in game and the quality of the parts and quick take down features, and this finished model confirms my thoughts on it really!

Enjoy!

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the update mate!

CA M249 Para - TM Glock 18c - Cyma ASCU AKM (048M)

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Scuffer Find out more about Scuffer
                                Working...
                                X