X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRC MP-40 Gen 3 review, picture heavy

Finally got around to doing this.

MP-40 short history

it was an SMG created by Zee germans in WW2 primarily for para's, but by the end of the war was used throughout most areas of the german forces. best known in movies like where eagles dare, the bridge at remagen and stalingrad and also well loved in video games like Medal of Honor, Day of defeat and Call of Duty. an iconic weapon, probably the best known weapon of the germans other than the lugar or tiger of WW2.

Review.

going to keep this down to the facts, and not run on too much, it will be compared with a CYMA AIMS EBB as its the only other EBB i own, i'll review the mag up against an ak mag too, and this is a picture heavy review, enjoy!

The Gen 3 SRC MP-40 what you'll get in the box.

1 x mp40
    1 x mp40 hi-cap mag
    1 manual
    1 packet of BB's

the box art work is nice, and the gun comes in the standard poly packaging, this is a pain as when you first get the gun you'll have to clean all the polostyrene balls off the damn thing.

wanna make mention of the manual. its the usual airsoft safety gear in there but take a look at the pictures for what appears to be an MP-41 on the cards from SRC...

the MP40 gun itself.

the gun is metal, all metal, has a great weight to it. it has a bakelite plastic brown lower body and pistol grip, the plastic is ok, not great (i am biast tho, i hate plastic guns, i want the mp41 tbh) check out the pictures below, they're better than any written discription tbh. just so you know, the gun has a mosfet fitted, only shoots full auto and has no safety, these are features of the real steel mp-40. you wil need a battary thats small enough to fit into the gun but has a high enough voltage otherwise the gun just won't shoot, more about this later in the review.

rear flip up sights, again metal and solidly built.

the stock is solid, no movement when deployed.

adjustible hop-up unit.

the gun is in 2 parts, the top cover mag well and barrel are all one piece, and pistol grip and main body ( housing the gearbox) is the other part of the gun. they are held together by a catch on the bottom of the gun close to the mag well. the take down involves the catch, a round "button" turns 180 then pulls out slightly, once this is done you pull the two parts of the gun away from each other, reverse the practice to put it together again.

lets discuss the blow back. its nice, it gives the gun a distinctive sound, it is no where near as good as a WE GBB or even the CYMA EBB. it looks the parts, and gives the impression, but the bolt just isn't heavy enough (the ak one is) and theres not enough room in the gun to bring it back far enough. when you first get the gun i strongly advise you take the part apart and greese up the blow back moving parts, ( the bolt and inside of the top cover).

the gun needs to be taken apart everytime the battery is to be changed, this is a pain, but if you get a decent battery you shouldn't be changing t all that often. i had to buy a special battary for this gun, a 9.6V 1500mAh 2/3A NiMH “Triangular” Battery Pack. google that and you'll find the battery you need.

the mags.

the mags retail for £19.99, for a full metal hi-cap i thing thats pretty damn good. the mags hold around 280 bb's. the winder is a son of a bitch, its very small and sits deep inside the mag, i find i'm winding all the time, on a full wind it will give you about 15 shots, compared to an AK mag that holds 600 rounds and on a full wind gets you near 40 shots, keep this in mind if you are buying the weapon. the trap door is also rediculiously small, i have to use a speed loader fill the mags, and i think an auto winder will need to be bought.

a kewl thing the mags have, theres a small slit at the back of the mag, shows you how many rounds you have left, its a nice feature.

CONCLUSION!

the FPS is 350fps RoF is 800 rounds per minute.

Pro's

affordable full metal MP-40 (the gun plus 6 addition mags, plus postage comes to £350)
    mp-40 hi-caps
    EBB for a little added realism
    great hop-up unit.
    nice trade marks.
    solid build.

Con's

mags are a bit hard to wind.
    having to buy a special battery.
    the plastic bakelite parts don't look great (but better than chinese made ones)

over all, its an Awesome MP-40, best on the market at the momment, highly recommend.

Boris
    Last edited by kommissarboris; 8 August, 2010, 11:38.
    K98 sale ----> http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1216243

Re: SRC MP-40 Gen 3 review, picture heavy

ah see i knew there was a reason why i bought the AGM, its because i wanted semi auto (i know its not authentic), and i would imagine the mags are easier to use then the SRC....

actually looking at the picture of your winder again,they do look similar...im going to have to check now...like ive got nothing better to do
    VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
    trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Boris, what's the dimensions of the battery? It looks from your picture like a 7.4v 3000mAh 35C lipo would fit in there.
      sigpic

Comment

Comment

Cheers mate. (Bugger, they wouldn't fit!)

Still, it's very tempting as something completely different to have in the gun cabinet.
          sigpic

Comment

its an awesome AEG, the mags are a bit of a pain for me, i'm used to dirty big ak mags, remember 1 of my usual mags are nearly 3 of these mags, thats why i single them out a bit, they're just different.

on the field it was good, as it holds only 15 or so rounds up the pipe you have no spray and prey, you've got to be accurate and limit yourself to seriously short bursts. also the stock isn't important, may as well not be there i didn't deploy it the entire shoot.

Boris

Comment

nice review and very informative.. thanks bud

Comment

Great review Boris I have now purchased one of these beauties after you review swung me from the AGM.

I have discovered that the mags will fire approximately 40 rounds if you push the magazine slighly to the front when firing if you don't you do get only about 15 rounds or so as you described. I have glued a small strip of thin plastic card to the rear of the magwell which makes the mag a really snug fit but cures the problem.

A standard mini 8.4v battery will fit if you turn it on its side rather than lying it flat like in your picture.
                There's no place like sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Comment

Nice review, I used to have an AGM MP40 which I wish I`d never sold. I got used to the locaps, was a lot better than winding the hicaps up and made me pick targets more carefully.
                  Be interesting to know if the mags are compatible as King Arms do 100 round midcaps for the AGM.
                  Bit of a bugger having to buy a special battery as the AGM used mini batts so easily available and cheap enough.
                  I did like the way the gun came apart, made it so easy to clean it. Does the blowback look strong enough to last ?

Comment

IMHO the blow back should last as the fake bolt is made of steel and is attached to the metal bolt runnerswith quite substantial slides (runs quite smooth after lubrication with white lithium grease) and the actual blowback effect isn't particularly vicious but it does sound very distinctive when fired.
                    I had been wondering if the KingArms midcaps would work. If they do I'd get some and fit the inner mechanism into my metal hicaps and save the plastic outers.
                    There's no place like sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Comment

nice review, many thanks

Comment

bit of an undate, ive had a pm today, and atleast 5 or 6 since this review.

the mags wobble in the gun, and can mis feed, but easily fixed, infact Bannog had the solution.

buy yourself a chinese, something that comes in a plastic tupperware box.

eat the chinese and wash the box, take the lid, and cut out a 1.5cm by 4cm strip.

get super glue and glue the strip inside the mag well, the rear wall, closest to the trigger.

let it dry.

now if done right, the mag should go straight in, and be fairly tight, it stops the mag wobble and thus the mis feeding, it less than a mil, but it makes all the difference.

Boris

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

kommissarboris Find out more about kommissarboris
                        Working...
                        X