Review: TM M4 SOPMOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: TM M4 SOPMOD

Well I've just received my TM M4 SOPMOD yesterday. I'm writing this review based on my findings so far.

Information about the gun
    *Features a Version 2 shoot & recoil engine
    *Is full metal, aluminium construction. Only plastic parts I've found are the grip and stock.
    *Shoots approximately 280-300 FPS stock and currently is not upgradeable.
    *Features a working bolt catch.
    *Standard capacity magazines are also metal (except the interior parts). They can be changed between 30 and 82 rounds by taking the Alun screw out the bottom, taking the inside out of the magazine and moving a switch at the bottom.
    *Comes with full RIS kit as standard
    *Requires a custom battery, but has no connector leads, so a quick change.

First impressions
    Upon opening the box, you'll get the following parts as shown:

I've never owned a full metal M4 before this one, so I can't compare the weight of it to any other guns. It's lovely to hold though and is very sturdy and solid. Tokyo Marui have also done away with their 3 piece outer barrel and have replaced it with a 1 piece outer barrel here.

Everything is metal on it except the grip and crane stock. The battery is a custom type nunchuck battery. It fits into the crane stock at the back by removing the butt plate, sliding it in and replacing the butt plate. That's it. No wires or anything You can change batteries very quick. The batteries currently supplied by TM are 1300 mAh, 8.4v.

Overall first impressions are 'wow this gun is lovely' appearance wise, but how does it perform?

Performance

One word: phenomenal.
    Once I had correctly set the hop-up (which is apparently a new design as well), I was getting ridiculous distance from this gun, completely stock. I was shooting a puddle from approximately 50-60 meters (literally) away and it didn't look like it had much of a problem getting there. It's also very accurate, people will be very easy to hit with it.

This gun is currently un-upgradeable. People say that upgrading the spring will make the gears destroy themselves because of the new shoot and recoil engine.

The 'shoot and recoil engine'

When I bought this gun I wasn't expecting the recoil to be alot. I was expecting it to be like a bit of a vibration, more than a kick.

I was wrong. I was very wrong.

I've tried keeping this gun pressed into my shoulder rather hard and it still doesn't stay still. When they said recoil, it's obviously not as much as a real M4 (which I've used), but for an AEG, it's absolutely bloody fantastic. Once you've fired this gun you're going to want one, there is no doubt about it. It will make any other AEG feel puny compared to it.

It makes such a lovely clatter with the ejection port blowback, plus the recoil weight in the stock tube adding to it. Would I call this recoil?

Yes. I would.

Overall verdict

This gun was extremely expensive. £455 for the gun itself, plus an extra magazine at £20 and £36.50 for the battery.. plus I paid for Saturday delivery.

Was it worth the price? YES.
    The gun has FANTASTIC performance. It will blow away ALL other AEG's. With the full metal construction, anyone who's a little cack handed need not worry either. It will be very difficult to break.

The only con I found was that I had to put a little silicone spray into the magazine spring loaded piece. Before that it was double feeding. After a little spray though I've had no more problems at all.

To sum it up: Once you've used this gun, you'll never go back. The recoil is fantastic, the performance is fantastic, overall it's perfect.

My verdict out of 10: 10.

Some extra pictures:

Re: Review: TM M4 SOPMOD

great review did you get the hard recoil version or the normal version?
    Pure Plastic Pwnage

Comment

There's only 1 TM SOPMOD M4.

Comment

Had mine quite a while now and was upgraded early on. Lots of upgrades are possible now as you can see here: http://www.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/fo...4-t133569.html

A must is running a 9.6v battery. A massive improvement in ROF and RECOIL is much better now. A tight barrel and spring is well worth it. All of which has been done to mine and makes a stock version look pretty poor when compared. The LIPO battery mods people are doing now are even better.
        In a world of compromise, some don't

Comment

On the sparse few videos I have watched on this, the bolt only seems to be blowing a third of the way back. Might just be bad quality videos, but could any of you confirm/deny this?

Comment

Originally posted by The Keeper of Secrets View Post
            On the sparse few videos I have watched on this, the bolt only seems to be blowing a third of the way back. Might just be bad quality videos, but could any of you confirm/deny this?

There is no moving bolt on the Sopmod. It's just the cover that moves slightly.
            When I pull the charging handle all the way back it just moves the cover to access the hop-up. The only M4 with a working bolt and recoil as far as I know is the WA GBB M4.

Comment

Sorry, I meant cover. I know it's a AEG .

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend keeping those upgrades in it NSA. Zero One have destroyed about 4 SOPMOD M4's by upgrading the springs, they told me over the phone.

To be honest I would recommend removing them, the gun WON'T last. Zero One will tell you this themselves. Plus by upgrading it, your warranty is now voided

Comment

Plus, they also said this in an email:

"Dear Vanguaard,

The marui SOPMOD is not currently upgradable, the design is in such a way that traditional upgrade methods will not work.

In order to upgrade this gun successfully it will require a far stronger motor to pull the excessive load created by the 350fps spring and the blowback mechanism, we can not do this until someone brings out an upgraded re-enforced gear set.

A tight barrel can be fitted, but that is the extent of the upgrade possibilities at present.
                  "

Comment

Originally posted by BillyWu View Post
                    I wouldn't recommend keeping those upgrades in it NSA. Zero One have destroyed about 4 SOPMOD M4's by upgrading the springs, they told me over the phone.

To be honest I would recommend removing them, the gun WON'T last. Zero One will tell you this themselves. Plus by upgrading it, your warranty is now voided

People are only getting problems when they fit the springs incorrectly by cutting them down wrong or the wrong spring all together. I've used it loads and not a single problem. As many others have now done with theres as well.
                    It just has to be done well to start with. check the other forum and you can see for yourself. Lots of photos inside the gearbox. I have just bought another Sopmod for another project as we speak.

Comment

Should mention mine chronos at approx 325-330 with 0.2g, but I use Marui 0.25g for games.

Comment

Also both of mine have no warranty due to being bought from HK.

Comment

thanks for the review billy i know what im getting now

Originally posted by nsa-x-file View Post
                          Had mine quite a while now and was upgraded early on. Lots of upgrades are possible now as you can see here: http://www.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/fo...4-t133569.html

A must is running a 9.6v battery. A massive improvement in ROF and RECOIL is much better now. A tight barrel and spring is well worth it. All of which has been done to mine and makes a stock version look pretty poor when compared. The LIPO battery mods people are doing now are even better.
                          were do you get the 9.6 bats from? also you say you imported from HK. was it easy?
                          Gangsta lean, it's not all bad...

Comment

One question about the SOPMOD, what is the battery life as i'm fairly sure the life gets sucked out of it with the recoil.

Thanks

Chuckie
                            Originally posted by spetsnazdave87
                            It just annoys me that M79s are in MW2 when everyone else is using stupid futureweapons.

Derbyshire- apparently the secret training grounds of the Russian special forces.

Comment

Originally posted by omgitzjamiiee View Post
                              were do you get the 9.6 bats from? also you say you imported from HK. was it easy?
                              All I did was add an extra cell to the Marui pack as there is space inside already.
                              Now i've made some custom 9.6v 1600mah packs as well.

I've had no problems with one battery lasting a whole day. As I milsim player I only use the 30/82rd standard mags. I hate hi-caps. The recoil has no effect on battery life. Plus remember it stops firing when the last shot is fired. So you cannot dry fire anymore with the standard mags.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Kodiak TM gun nut Find out more about Kodiak
                              Working...
                              X