Updates to VFC AKS-74UN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updates to VFC AKS-74UN

I recently aquired a clone 74UN to tide me over for a weekend. I fell in love with the form and function aspect but am never completely confident with the metals they use. I decided to get a Vega Force model.

Talking to a retailer who had just become the official UK dealer for Vega Force, it was apparent that the specs being quoted by VFC for this, and other models, appeared to include some changes/upgrades. VFC weren't shouting about them, and I hadn't seen any mention in posts and reviews, eventhough I'd trawled the interweb for hours looking for information...as I (you?) do befopre buying any RiF. The differences were only obvious if you carefully checked the specs. I am sceptical of published specs/details of any rif, but if only half of them were real, I would be very happy.

A few hours ago I took delivery; and I am very, very happy. Usual VFC beauty and quality, and now even better. Small external changes: plum pistol grip, vented wood foregrip that is the best AK wood I have ever seen, and a new mat finish. Although I can't dismantle it too far (I'm at work ) I can confirm that they have now changed from nylon bushings to steel! Apparently it should also now have a steel bearinged spring guide. The most interesting addition is Blow back. VFC have now added this to the whole of the AK range.

I'll be giving the 74UN a good work out over the weekend and will report back on what I find, hopefully with some photos and maybe a video, in the meantime:

AdeUK

Re: Updates to VFC AKS-74UN

Will look forward to your findings Very interested in the new version hope its good !

Comment

Just been going over it ready for tomorrow. Hardly any screws withvfc, so nothing to tighten, unlike the Cyma I had where nearly every screw was loose.
      It is built like a rock. There was a little play inthe upper foregrip, but that was easy to rectify.
      That bent wire in the photo is a spare blowback rod. The mechanism is very simple and takes seconds to remove/replace. Makes a lovely sound, but it does restrict the travel of the bolt carrier.
      The barrel was absolutely filthy!
      I've tested with all of my AK mags; Cyma, dboys, highs and mids and all fit and fire perfectly.
      A 9.6v stick of the larger cells (2000mah) does just about fit and doesn't get in the way of the bolt carrier. Next week I should have a 11.1v lipo to try

Will update on Sunday
      AdeUK

Comment

very nice...i wonder if the bracket/hinge on top of the receiver where the battery goes is as iffy as the kalesh clone, it can extend on opening too much causing the little spring and pin to fly out
        VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
        trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Doesn't look like that will happen with this. The cover has already been raised very many times and has no play and the pin is still in place.

Off to have fun now
          AdeUK

Comment

Things don't just fly off VFC, they are superb build quality.
            Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

video of it firing with the 11.1v lipo please

before it knackers the blowback anyway
              TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

...no lipo yet I'm afraid, but I have uploaded videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPg3IxNeSw
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYFRHoJ0DpE

Sorry not to have posted yesterday, but had a lot to sort out.

Anyway, this AK was awesome in game. On a par for accuracy, range and ROF with my PDWs (allowing for different batteries, and I can't wait to try a Lipo).

Very loud, and even better with the clang of the blowback when you are in a building.

I got through a little over 3 hicaps in just under an hour, then I am pleased to say the blowback broke; yes, pleased!

I have always been distrustful of blowbacks having experienced stripped pistons on many examples. Not all, but enough for me to distrust them. In this instance I was shooting through a window and think that I may have caught the bolt on the frame or the sling. In most EBBs that would have been catastrophic, but with this one there was a slight stutter on one round and it just carried on. I only noticed that the blowback wasn't working because of the marked decrease in the noise of the gun. All that had occurred was that the blowback arm snapped in the middle.

The design is very simple, you can see the rod in my first post. One end slots into a small slot on the side of the GB and the other end fits into a hole on the bolt carrier. As with other similar mechanisms, as the piston moves back it catches the end of the rod, dragging it back. When the piston relases, the bolt is pushed forward by the bolt carrier spring.

VFC had provided a spare rod, so I was able to fit that to provide the video and also do some further testing. At first, the new rod seemed to rub on the inside of teh receiver, but after some gentle slight bending to shape, I got it to work very smoothly. Its simple design allows it to break under heavy stress, but for slight catches it gives a little, being quite springy metal. Apart from the thin slot in the gearbox case, that side of the box is completely closed, so it is very unlikely that any broken parts of the rod will make it into the gears. In fact they are more likley to be thrown away from the box and drop down the outside, as happened with mine.

Tonight, I have fired another 3000 rounds on full auto and no problem whatsoever, apart from I think I have wrecked my Hoover from the clear up

I have asked about availability of new rods and will post the reply here. Perhaps others know already; those who had the other models (SOPMOD PDW, AIMS etc) that came with the blowback.

In this instance , I may actually keep the blowback installed, although it takes seconds to remove/replace.

Ill also try to do a video when I get the lipo.

Regardless of the lipo, this is an incredible RIF in my view. It won't quite replace my PDWs but is almost as versatile, has the same quality and gives effective firepower in CQB or woodland. The grin factor is priceless.

Apart from the broken rod, I did not notice a single misfead/misfire

I've put a few photos below. Sorry about the quality, but I only had an iphone to use

(NB the wood is slightly more deep red/brown than shown in the photos and is certainly not orange The mag is a sort of burnt orange colour...much more subdued than, say, Cyma mags)

Ill be happy to answer and questions
                AdeUK

Comment

Sorry, "Regardless of the lipo, this is an incredible RIF in my view" should read:
                  "Regardless of the blowback, this is an incredible RIF in my view"

I also forgot to mention about the paint. I don't know the science or spec of the coating, but it is extremely tough. It is quite mat when new but sort of dulls to a smoother finish, if that makes sense, and looks very nice and adds greatly to the quality feel of the RIF
                  AdeUK

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

AdeUK Find out more about AdeUK
                  Working...
                  X