Star M249 Para.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star M249 Para.

Hoki doke, first review in a while so bare with me if at some points a few bits dont make sence, i'll try my best :D

First impressions, Its SMALL! alot smaller than i expected. in its most compact form shes no bigger than an m4 with a collapsed stock & i even dare say no heavier either. (this will obviously change with a full mag) Thats down to the (prepare for alot of chairsofters to go nuts) largely POLYMER body. Reciever, pistol grip, Top Cover & heatsheild are all poly leaving the stock, most of the internal framework between parts & the barrel, Bi-pod & gas block being metal. However i've got NO indication that ANY of these parts are going to fail.

Details in the right places, nice 5.56mm trades, mostly polymer construction & light weight. Personally i give the externals a good 7, but the lack of a metal reciever will put a fair few people off.

Internals are going to have a few people abit miffed upon first & less detailed impressions also.

haven't yet opened the mech box up but from abit of google hopping & the fact the shell is made from lexan, a type of fiberglass. (Personally i couldnt give a rats ass about metal vs poly but there are numerous advantages to the way star have gone about constructing their internals) theres a full steal gear set, a high torque, yet stock motor & ported cylider.

Easily adjustable FPS due to a quick change system. unsure whats in her atm as i haven't had the chance to test fire her, but regardless it can go up or down in a matter of minutes. The quick change feature doesnt require removal of the gearbox its self, just 2 pins to remove the stock, nice & easy.

Power will be coming from a 9.6 3300 in the magazine, Yet another feature that often sways m249 users to other makes, as i'll explain.

Basically the magazine is stored in the Gear box. & the way the power is disributed between the two are 4 pins that connect in the magwell. The magazine itself is powered by 2 AA batteries but rather than being button or sound activated, the trigger acts as a switch to wind the magazine as your firing. i tried to keep that simple so i hope it makes sence. the reason alot of people done like this is 2 fold. 1) it adds quite frankly a fair bit of useless wiring, bypassing this method & having a different mech to feed the gear box would possably have been easier & 2) it prohibits the use of stanag mags rather than a box mag.

So, internally i cant give a definative score till i shoot it myself, but having seen this model perform in the field & the extreamly high stock rof im quite impressed. i may have to perform the bic hop mod or invest in a new rubber / nub, we'll see when the time comes to testing her.

Overall, im impressed by the weight, build quality, quality of components & simple assembly/disassembly.

i'll update the thread in due time but for now i'll leave it there

Disco
    'It shockingly outranges many m16's and ak's. I have taped both mags together for added firepower and reliablity.'

Re: Star M249 Para.

Missed edit! the magazine isnt in the gearbox, i ment to say the battery is in the magazine!
    'It shockingly outranges many m16's and ak's. I have taped both mags together for added firepower and reliablity.'

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Discoshrew Find out more about Discoshrew
    Working...
    X