Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE M50 gen 5

Hi i wondered if anyone could do a review of the double eagle m50 gen 5

Iv read loads of reviews on thier gen 1&2 which were frankly s**t, iv seen a few on the gen 3 which say it was improved alot, so i was wondering if any1 has used the gen 5, beacuase thats the one i wanted and i wondered if it was any different to the older gen 3?

btw i know double eagle guns usually crap but this one is actually alright, like iv seen some pritty good reviews of the third gen model.

Re: DE M50 gen 5

I recently purchased a gen 5 model to try a bit of sniping with, i wasn't expecting much but thought if i didn't like it for the price it wouldn't matter too much, I took it to my local site which has a limit of 400fps for snipers, after putting around 1000 rounds through it at home it seemed to have settled at around 460fps! Obviously i was gutted and surprised at that due to reading they only had around 300fps, first problem i thought was that the older moldels were not compatible with any of the vsr/bar10 upgrades/parts and that the cylinder was sealed as mentioned on every site i could find any info on, I was surprised to find that once i had stripped the gun down i found the cylinder was not sealed and that it was almost identical to my friends bar10, upon further inspection i found they have now made it compatible with the vsr parts, i have now fitted a new spring and barrel spacers, bringing my fps down to around 380 with the new spring, a result i think! I think because of the older models people have just forgotten about this gun and due to the reviews people stay clear of it, and no one seems to have any knowledge of these newer models, I am very happy to find they sorted this one out though, i will soon be taking a trip back to my local shop so they can compare some more parts for me and to see what else i can buy lol, i may do a full review once i have all the info but i hope this helps.

Comment

Cheers thanks that was actually what i wanted to hear so much, i was really hoping this was a good buy because i just got it, can't have it till xmas though , really appreciate you giving the time to write that thanks :D

Comment

No worries I asked around for a while and no one seemed to know about these, i was told by the people i bought it off that i couldn't replace the spring and that there were no parts available, I decided that even if the cylinder was sealed i would find a way to open it and trim the spring but as i already said was pleasantly surprised to find that it comes apart easier than my friends bar10 with no drilling required, i am happy with it regardless of what people say now as most of the reviews you read are about gen 3 models which are over 2 years old.I have had no problems with it and have found the accuracy ok, not as good as i would like but that will be cured with a tight bore barrel.
        Last edited by wildpikey; 8 December, 2009, 22:36. Reason: mistake

Comment

Yer i mean tbh if your going to buy anything along the same lines as this rifle it might as well be this one, its probably the cheapest and everyone always upgreads no matter how much they spend on the stock rifle so why pay a fortune for the stock rifle when your just going to replace the internals.

Comment

ive got one aswell and wen i took it on my last skirmish( my first time wit the m50 ) it was shooting 455 fps and was really accurate from what i expected of it
            Last edited by JMusa; 28 December, 2009, 16:55. Reason: Mistake
            Originally posted by parky
            If you're looking for a good sniper, I hear Vassily Zaitsev is good this time of year.

It's sniper RIFLE.

What do they teach these 19 year olds these days...

Comment

Hi yer just to let people know i got the gen 5 model of this gun its really tasty only thing is the hop-up is seriously strong even when i set it to nothing the bb flies to the sky long before it should, im probably just going to spray it with some silicon but i cant do it yet because i want to redo the paint job and silicon and paint dont mix but ill put up if it made a difference after iv done it.

Comment

Hi just to update, I'v had my Double Eagle M50 gen 5 for a while only skirmished it once but love using it in the back garden.

Before I start if you're a decent sniper with a £1200 Ares M200, or similarly priced rifle, actually just £200+ rifle. DON'T READ THIS.

Really, Really solid first sniper, totally recomend to anyone who maybe wants to give it a go or just hit a few cans in the back garden. I thought as I had put a query I should in all fairness now I have got the gun put up a review.

I got mine from Crawley Surplus store at £90, which is similar to most places. Ill start with the gun its self although its abs plastic the body is very sturdy, its doesnt feel like it will break at all. It has two allen key screws which hold the body to the barrel, bolt and triger unit. Comes in two halfs to reduce the box size, easy to put together.

A nice touch is the removeable stock plates which can be added to increase the size of the stock, comes with about four plates which are really handy for big people.

The bolt action is not the lightest I'v ever seen but its not really stiff, a little silicon spray eases it up, mine with a bit of use now is really smooth.

It comes with a red-dot and laser, which in my opinion cheapen the gun, they are really shit like the stuff that comes with £20 springers, just awful.

There isnt a flash hider but the very tip of the outer barrel unscrews to reveal a large thread on the outer barrel, to add a silencer an adapter back to 14mm thread is needed.

I added a £25 4x32 sportsmarketing air rifle scope, I went for this because its not too magnified to restric the field of vision too much and on cheaper guns when its really magnified then its a hinderance because the gun just dont hit the line of sight that close in.

With the £10 mounts it all came to £125 which tbh isn't bad when I'v heard of people spend double that just on a scope. To finnish off I added a cheap £20 bi-pod from ************, a OD Guader Stock pad (£20 from zeroone) with shell loops and put in 7.62 deactive rounds. I also sprayed the gun OD to match the stock pad. So in total spent like £180.

Performance wise the gun is really good for the money, I'v siliconed the hop-up unit cleaned the barrel and put around 500-600 rounds through it, thats a bit optimistic its probably less. now the hop-up at 30m is great, I can hit a 5'x5' target most times, only when wind picks up or bad shots on my part does it miss. At around 70m i can hit a human size target (just do have to aim a little high to do it).

In the skirmish field however its a different story, when using it at targets I have it set up on my table with the bipod and a comfy chair to sit in. This makes hitting stuff alot easier, in the feild targets are constantly moving, through lots of trees and often still out of range or too close (under 30m at my site is no go for snipers). This means that it is extremely difficult to get decent and frequent kills, which can make a day really a lot slower than if you're going nuts with an AEG.

In conclusion This is a GREAT gun for £90, and in the hands of a GOOD sniper I'm sure they'd get plenty of tasty kills, but for me I just like hitting targets in my garden and for that the price is awsome. Starter snipers or backgarden plinkers must have (it looks the bollocks too!) :D

Comment

Pics are on my profile

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

smiddy_devs I go to Reigate Grammar School Find out more about smiddy_devs
                  Working...
                  X