inner barrel length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: inner barrel length?

I understand how twist barrels work, they prevent the BB from even touching the barrel wall and I am sorry I can imagine how annoying this may be for you but what I am saying is true, I would never advise someone on something that I hadn't thoroughly looked into/researched. Length does make a difference to the accuracy of a smooth (not twist) airsoft barrel.

BB
    Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

I understand where you are coming from ref. angle of deflection inside the barrel, for I have pondered the same idea for many years, but as with anything that deflects off anything, it loses energy after a deflection and the speed at which it deflects 'into' reduces after each bounce. I know we are talking on an atomic scale here but little things like length do change the level of accuracy.

BB

Comment

Well unless you can provide some backing to this, you simply are going against what almost everybody else says - with no explanation to how or why.

I was told today somebody got a 300 - 400 ft shot today. Which is roughly 100 - 120 meters for example. Clearly either the longest documented shot in airsoft ever, or people over estimating distance.

My point being, without testing with a measuring tape and a running man target changing only one component at a time all sorts of rumours go flying around.

Your logic is simply impossible. If you throw a ball at the ground at 45 degrees, it comes back at 45 degrees the other side. Regardless if you throw it at 1mph or 100mph, or from 1meter or 100meters away.

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
          Your logic is simply impossible. If you throw a ball at the ground at 45 degrees, it comes back at 45 degrees the other side. Regardless if you throw it at 1mph or 100mph, or from 1meter or 100meters away.
          I'm sorry but in the nicest way possible of saying this, it is your logic that is impossible. You are thinking of light, yes light reflects equal to the angle of incidence but that is because light is = to 0 relative mass. Anything with mass (even a tiny mass) does not reflect back at an equal angle.

BB

Comment

Your telling me the more times something hits a boundary the shallower the angle gets - which is double super more impossible(r) no returns. :D

Comment

I have studied this diagram before, what is misleading is that after every bounce, the angle reduces gradually. These diagrams are drawn for what would be a 'vacume' senario, ie. no other limiting factors apart from the controlled ones. I still stand by my point that length is a contributing factor to the level of accuracy. However, for the sake of the thread starter, and my own lack of sleep, I will not reply to your next post although I have enjoyed debating a matter that we both feel quite adamant about :D

BB

Comment

What would cause the angle to reduce though? This is the FATAL flaw in your argument. You cannot say why it would happen. And we all know an object will continue on it's path indefinitely until another force acts upon it.

Comment

I think I know what ben is getting at.

Suppose the barrel is perfectly horizontal. The bb fires from the start of the barrel at an angle which is not perfectly horizontal. For simplicity, imagine the bb can only deviate vertically (although my reasoning should apply in all directions).

It then hits the side of the barrel and bounces off.

Just before hitting the side, the BB has say, 300fps velocity in the x direction, and say 10fps in the y direction.

On colliding with the barrel, some, albiet very little, fps is lost in the x direction due to friction. This is why longer barrels reduce fps. Even less fps is lost in the y direction to sound, heat, etc. As a result though, the bb bounces back off the barrel very slightly slower than the speed it hit at.

... and so the bb should get closer and closer to having Y velocity 0 as it travels down the barrel.

I don't think the effect would be great enough to make any real difference when talking just a few inches though... but I've never experimented with different barrel lengths.

Comment

does the fact that the bb is going from a standing start and then accelerating not account in some way for the lesening angle. as it gets faster up the barrel each angle would change

Comment

Fact is your all right, also wouldnt the hop up account for part of the angle and fps loss.

Comment

if you're doing a sniper set up then i'm guessing it's not an MP5 base so the barrel is going to be, in relative terms, longer than the average RIF, say 510mm plus. I think in these terms it's not going to make that much difference if you go for 509mm to 540mm.

If barrel length didn't make any difference then people would be sniping with MP5Ks and 110mm barrels, which we all know is never going to happen.

And yes i have owned an MP5K and i know from experience this is not possible, although it was a very good and accurate little beast, but only accurate as 110mm barrels go, i was never doing headshots at 120feet, not without putting down 200 rounds first.

Smiffy
                        G&P SR-25 CA M14 WE 1911

If we have traded and i haven't left feedback feel free to remind me by PM.

Just 'cause i'm online doesn't mean i'm sat at my computer, i could actually be doing some work for a change.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

IWG Find out more about IWG
                        Working...
                        X