Tokyo Marui: PSG-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Marui: PSG-1

Here's a review of the Tokyo Marui PSG-1 as I've found it so far.

Intro
    So, the basic introduction. PSG-1 stands for "Pr‰zisions-Scharfsch¸tzen-Gewehr". The gun itself is made by Heckler & Koch.

The basic specs of this airsoft variant of the gun are:

* Length: 1208mm
    * Weight: 9.5lbs
    * Motor: EG700 Special
    * Gearbox: Version 4
    * MV: 300FPS
    * Battery Size: mini or AK

One extremely important thing to note with this gun is that it's an AEG, not gas or spring.

Now, the 300FPS is only STOCK out the box. Upgraded this thing can be pushed to 600 or higher FPS, though that makes it illegal.

It costs about £280 and for that you get the following bits:

The gun itself and obviously the box
    A special key for adjusting the stock bits
    Tracer unit threaded adaptor
    Some Marui BB's
    The 4x40 Tasco scope (comes attached and as standard)
    Metal 15 round magazine

Appearance & build quality
    The gun itself is gorgeous. It's very unique, not many people have it and it's different from your average springer sniper rifles.

As for build quality, it's a very impressive gun by Marui. Very strong and well built as with all their guns. Some people have experienced creaks from the foregrip, though I haven't found this to be the case... or if it is, it isn't noticable.

There's not alot else to say really. It looks lovely and it's very well built. But one thing to note is that this gun is very long, it's a massive tool. If you can carry it around all day and don't mind the long-ass barrel, then don't worry

Appearance and build quality: 10/10

Performance
    When you first fire the gun, the performance for a sniper rifle is quite frankly rubbish. It's about 300 FPS out the box I think. You WILL need to upgrade this gun to make it good. Once you do upgrade it though, not much is going to stop you.

The scope is fantastic though. Very easy to adjust because there's no covers for the adjustment dials, so you can quickly alter it. The zoom is ideal too. Not too little, not too much. Perfect for the range you'll be shooting from.

This gun is a 100% project gun. If you want to make it into a proper long distance sniper rifle, you'll NEED a 200% spring. 300% is also another option, but that will make it over 500FPS, which is too much for our UK sites. Who needs 500FPS anyway?
    But with a 200% spring, you'll need a Systema gearbox (the Stock gearbox will wear away very quickly without it) and at LEAST a 9.6v battery. An 8.4v battery had trouble turning over a 160%, let alone the 200%. I use a custom made 10.8v 1400 mAh battery for mine. There's no trigger latency and it always fully cycles the gun.

Once you've got the power and the upgrades, the gun is fantastic. It's ideal for shooting other snipers and because it's semi automatic, you'll have the edge over them.

Accuracy is great straight from the beginning. Once you've upgraded it though you're going to want to upgrade the barrel. Here's how my PSG-1 was with a 160% spring and no other upgrades: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSq0qak-gyU.

Right now at the time of writing this review, I've got a 200% spring, Systema full tuned up gearbox and a 10.8v custom battery (6 cells and 2 cells in a stick set-up). The accuracy at about 35meters shooting them cans isn't fantastic, but doable. I've got a tightbore barrel on the way though so that should give me a significant improvement in accuracy.

Overall, seeing as im rating the gun based on everything it comes with, I'd rate the gun for performance: 6/10

Overall
    Overall, this gun is a project gun only, unless you can handle the crappy 300FPS stock performance. Once you've upgraded it though, it's brilliant. Plus it's unique and not many people have it.

Rating overall (stock parts): 7/10
    Rating overall (upgraded): 9/10

Important notes: When you fire this gun, it functions differently to AEG's. It doesn't cycle the spring when you pull the trigger. Pulling the trigger will release the spring and will also compress it again ready for the next shot. Because of this, the first shot is always a blank fire shot unless you've left the spring compressed. Also, there's a small switch above the trigger. When you're done firing the gun, you should press it to decompress the spring so that it's not left compressed (therefore leaving it to adjust to it's shape when it's compressed, reducing the tension of it and therefore reducing power).

Also, it has the great feature of the cocking lever actually working! It loads the first BB into the chamber to be fired and can be locked in place to reveal the hop-up to be adjusted. This also can cause double loading so be careful.

Hope this review helps some people Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try and help you out.

Re: Tokyo Marui: PSG-1

Great review

They are great pieces of kit.. mine is firing at 400fps and I don't need it to firing any higher, works like a dream.

Beautiful!

Comment

Thanks for a great review, am thinking about buying one of these!
      I have an aimpoint on my member

Comment

Seeing as I can no longer edit my first post, here's an update on my gun after fitting a 6.03 Madbull tightbore barrel:

As shown in my video, I can shoot tin cans easily at about 15-20meters when it was stock. With the upgraded power of my 200% spring and tightbore barrel, I can shoot perfectly straight at about 35-40meters, allowing me to hit tin cans at that distance. Shooting a man size target would be easy even at 50 meters.

Comment

I'm quite impress, tx for your review..
          M24 PDI Commercial Version
          VSR 10 Complete PDI Upgrades
          L96 Complete PDI Upgrades
          ICS M4 CXP
          G&P Stubby Killer
          MP5K

Comment

Great review mate.

Have finally got my psg-1 working now so get to finally use the beast this coming Sunday!!

Comment

thats if it doesnt chrono over 350 boa

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer View Post
                thats if it doesnt chrono over 350 boa
                Well when I chronoed my psg on Sunday it was doing just under 290fps which im happy with :-D and it's got a nice bit of range aswell as I was keeping people pinned down with it :-D

Comment

Hey just out of interest which site can i get this from?? I'm having trouble finding one.

Comment

Funnily enough Zero One sell one but I've just looked and it's £410 which is hell of an increase since Billy got his.

I've had a look on some other UK retailers but their all out of stock so once they get their stock back, you can probably expect a price hike from them as well.

You might want to try some of the HK shops to see what their like?

Comment

I used to own one of these and I think it's a beautiful bit of kit... but as mentioned above, useless as a sniper rifle on almost all skirmish sites in the UK. While It may look like one, it is technically and AEG (or at least electric weapon, that CAN be converted to Auto) and hence needs to stick to the 350fps limit (or 328) enforced on most sites.

What they need to do is make a gas version so we can use it at 500fps and have a weapon actual worth owning as more than a show piece!

Comment

********* have them for 90 quid cheaper mate
                        and you can use psgs at 500fps cause they are single shot only from the factory only site limits will apply.
                        Last edited by sj_asc; 24 March, 2009, 15:07. Reason: Linking to other Retailers - Please read the rules before posting!

Comment

Working cocking handle :D Thats a nice touch.

Also, the different spring cycle sounds really good, no more delayed shots!

Comment

lol my psg1 was fine till i met a guy who asked me if i had any trouble with my gun becasue his has never worked i said its been good and no problem after lunch i go out on battle field and relise theres a great big crack from one side to the other and so i get the metal frame and put that on pit of a squeeze but it fit then next skirmish lol and it gets a power serge so have to send it back to 01 and get it reapird haha damit dean you jinxed me :P

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Kodiak TM gun nut Find out more about Kodiak
                            Working...
                            X