ideal zeroing range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideal zeroing range

hi just wondering what would you all consider that average range you should ideally zero a scope to..

Re: ideal zeroing range

depends on type of rifle mate, assault rifle will be different to sniper and also waht you average engagment range is (so CQB site or woodland)

Comment

sniper rifle and i mostly play in woodland...mostly

just curious what do most yall zero it to

Comment

i'd say a good 50 metres, if you want to go for some super long ranges tune in your hop too

Comment

With my assualt rifle's i set the hop how I want it and zero it to its effective range which on my M4 is about 45M

Comment

50m is normally what I'd aim for with a good heavyweight ammo. then make sure you have a scope with milldots or something similar so you can adjust your aim easily when its closer/further. but if you typically engage at longer ranges then zero it further away, just be mindful of the face you may end up hitting people in the head at closer ranges unless you aim off/down

In terms of zeroing itself I normally fire a few a mag or two of test shots to check I have the hop set right. then I'll get it zero'd at 10m so I have things roughly centered then go to 30m and refine it more then go to 50m and zero it as perfectly at possible. By doing it in stages like this you'll make it easier to zero when you get out to the 50m stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhysd2 View Post
              50m is normally what I'd aim for with a good heavyweight ammo. then make sure you have a scope with milldots or something similar so you can adjust your aim easily when its closer/further. but if you typically engage at longer ranges then zero it further away, just be mindful of the face you may end up hitting people in the head at closer ranges unless you aim off/down

In terms of zeroing itself I normally fire a few a mag or two of test shots to check I have the hop set right. then I'll get it zero'd at 10m so I have things roughly centered then go to 30m and refine it more then go to 50m and zero it as perfectly at possible. By doing it in stages like this you'll make it easier to zero when you get out to the 50m stage.

extremly helpful answer many thanks!!

Comment

Yep im with Rhysd2... its best to work our incrimentally, ajusting hop between distance, till you get where you want.

Red dots and scopes differ in accuracy... Some of us snipers are a bit anal over our zeroing at times lol. Rifles.... its more, general with the lower tollerances and accuracy, but for bolt actions it matters a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by 22nd SAS View Post
                  hi just wondering what would you all consider that average range you should ideally zero a scope to..
                  Here's link to alot of info on airsoft ballistics:

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.p...ght=ballistics

However, if you don't fancy trawling through all that info, here's a link to a spreadsheet I produced that can give you an approximate range to use based on FPS, BB weight etc. It's just a guide.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxnwjhw3uzq
                  Drop'm out with a low cap and save the environment.

Comment

With respect, the theory to airsoft shooting is only surpassed by going out with your gun, and shooting it, see how your bbs fly, see how your scope sets, learn YOUR gun.....

so many factors, like lubricant, hop, air seal effect it all, no spreadsheet will accurately show how your gun fires....

Comment

All this info is correct but you have to remeber that its not like a REAL rifle, realistically your going to be engaging targets at about 50M max before the gun looses its accuracy. I'd say 30 - 40 yards is ideal from experience with shooting rabbits (with a 22. of course)

INB4 there two diffrent types of ammo, although they are very diffrent the principle is still the same.

but i digress, it is hard to say. Depends if you've got a stock bar-10 or the dogs bollocks VSR
                      Last edited by Zanzibar; 25 February, 2009, 13:07.
                      I have an aimpoint on my member

Comment

2 types of ammo? what?

And im afraid 50m is very short for a sniper rifle... its POSSIBLE to hit targets out to 90-100m with certain weapons and shooters, averages for a 500 is around 60-70. AEGS is more like 40-50 max, unless you play mortar fire.....

TBH, learn your maximum range, and set your hop and sights to corelate at the furthest point before drop becomes too severe to accuately aim it...

Also take into account at extreme range, wind becomes a factor in shots... yes, even that sparrow farting 20m off the flight path will knock a bb off target at 70 odd meters...

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten View Post
                          With respect, the theory to airsoft shooting is only surpassed by going out with your gun, and shooting it, see how your bbs fly, see how your scope sets, learn YOUR gun.....

so many factors, like lubricant, hop, air seal effect it all, no spreadsheet will accurately show how your gun fires....
                          As i said, it's only a guide (or starting point) giving you something to aim for and /or knowing absolute limitation of your weapon system. You can tune your hop, clean your barrel, use high quality BBs, tightened barrel, match cylinder volume to barrel etc to get as close as possible as possible to that max range.

I would select a medium or normal engagement range with the most confidence of an accurate snap shot- that's my personal criteria for zeroing with an assault rifle.

Then I'd zero a long range shot using the cross hairs (if you have them on your scope) and checking how much elevation adjustment I need to (quickly) make for an effective shot.

The target for me is be able to put down effective fire at short, medium and long range using cross hairs on my ACOG 4X32 scope.

You can use the spreadsheet to choose medium and long range numbers. Use it or not- the spreadsheet is a guide only. It can give you something to aim at when zeroing :-)
                          Drop'm out with a low cap and save the environment.

Comment

Then again, having a set range on your scope is one thing, but knowing how high to aim off to get further distances is born from experience. Only range time will teach that.

Comment

Personally, I set the hop unit, and then zero to the point along the BB's flight path where they start to arc down. I guess that's in the region of 160-170 feet.

Then, I just adjust how I play in the field.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

22nd SAS Find out more about 22nd SAS
                              Working...
                              X