sniping tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: sniping tactics

been in a similar situation myself mate - only it was about 7 guys and I was on my own.

It's a great feeling to know that you are holding up a number of the other team and that they don't know where you are. :D

its all about positioning!
    Originally posted by Coz
    Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
    http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

Taken from another thread courtesy of B20

Originally posted by bravotwozero View Post
      From experience:

JG BAR 10:

Pro's:
      • relatively cheap
      • Fully VSR compatiable
      • comes complete with a scope
      • direct TM copy
      • 400fps out of the box
      • good range
      • excellent accuracy
      • good quality
      Cons:
      • lot's of them have problems with the trigger sears breaking
      • not made of aluminium like the TM
      • needs new barrel spacers out of the box
      • not a long term investment, in my opinnion
      A major drawback is the fact i'm not sure if they're even made anymore! :p

Warrior L96:

Pro's:
      • very good build quality
      • quite cheap
      • maruzen copy
      • APS-2 compatiable - to a degree
      • looks very nice
      • comes with a scope & shitty bipod out of the box
      • 450fps out of the box
      • some issues with the sears
      • Has potential.
      • British.
      Con's:
      • cheap chinese copy
      • not aluminium
      • poor range & accuracy out of the box
      • difficult to find upgrades
      • every man and his dog has one now
      • cheap pot metal
      TM VSR:

Pro's:
      • It's not a cheap clone
      • it's not chinese
      • It's TM.
      • Aluminium
      • excellent accuracy
      • best internals out there (stock)
      • has massive potential
      • very upgradable
      • Excellent quality
      Did I mention it was a TM?

Cons's:
      • quite pricey
      • only 330fps ish (not always a problem)
      • sears aren't perfect. (Upgrade if your intending to shoot over 400fps, but below that threshold the stock internals should hold up fine.)
      • does not come with a scope package
      • you tend to spend alot upgrading it.
      I was going to add something but B20 has got it pretty well covered.

As I have said elsewhere I use a TM VSR10 - a great gun and even though mine is TOTALLY stock I am getting 50m Kills. - but it takes a while as the bbs go all over the place.

I need a tightbore in mine to increase the accuracy. but that is all.

I currently use .25's but I may up that in the near future for better downrange energy retention.

ATB

Mac
      Originally posted by Coz

Comment

I would have to put in a word for the AGM MP001, (The gun in my Avatar pic :P)

Pro's
        The gun is cheap, £40 - £60 in some places.
        Uses a VSR Trigger unit and hop along with a APS2 cylinder.
        400+FPS out of the box - Mine was 430 with a .20g
        VERY accurate out of the box.
        Wood effect stock is fantastic! best looking stock I have seen.

Con's
        Its a cheap gun, dont expect alot!
        Chance of getting a Lemon.
        Replacment parts can be tricky to find.

For the price, its fantastic! Mine lasted me along time before a fault with the hopup accourd and even then it was still working.

Its brilliant for anyone wanting to give sniping ago without breaking the bank, with .30g BB's I was getting 150 - 170ft shots easily and thats stock, I was astonished at the performance of the gun for what it cost. If I had not bought my TM M14 then I would have bought another one of these without a doubt!

Steve
        My Armory:
        ARES M110, ARES SVD-S

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Macka View Post
          What kind of webbing do you chaps use?

I like just stuffing everything in my pockets. Though I just got a camelbak with a back pack type case - so that will be a nice addition to my airsoft kit during summer!!

Mac
          I wear an OD bum bag. Turned around so it sits on my left hand hip, so that when i'm lying down it's easy to get into. It has plenty of room inside it. I carry 5 magazines, a bottle of heavy ammo, my radio on the belt, 2 pistol mag sized speed loaders full (just incase i use all of my mags) and 2 pistol magazines. I tried having things in my pockets but when I lye down or take up a position, things stick into me.

Comment

Tis my webbing kit that I use

Great bit of kit. Simple, but somehow very customizable.

An example of how it should look like:

Last edited by bravotwozero; 27 March, 2010, 23:36.

Comment

ahh Brit webbing, great stuff - I do miss mine! Shame Q had to take it back when I left the OTC. and my sleeping bag
              Originally posted by Coz

Comment

those sleeping bags are fantastic pieces of kit.

Which OTC where you with macka?

Comment

yeah they are - I want one! lol.

Was with Glasgow OTC for a year - I left last October as I wasn't allowed to join the shooting team or pass off for first year. - all because I missed a camp as I was doing a degree related field trip.

oh well.

got to do all of the fun stuff though! :D - the week long FIBUA training was the best.

mac
                  Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2359 View Post
                    I wear an OD bum bag. Turned around so it sits on my left hand hip, so that when i'm lying down it's easy to get into. It has plenty of room inside it. I carry 5 magazines, a bottle of heavy ammo, my radio on the belt, 2 pistol mag sized speed loaders full (just incase i use all of my mags) and 2 pistol magazines. I tried having things in my pockets but when I lye down or take up a position, things stick into me.
                    that's a good idea mate?

got any pics?
                    Originally posted by Coz

Comment

any new pics guys? - must be a few kicking about? - I have been away for a few weeks with uni.

- I also have a question -

What do you chaps thing about using heavy BB's with a low power spring? - aside from the obvious what do you think? - worth trying?

what should the fps output be for certain weights to be effective?
                      Originally posted by Coz

Comment

stock i wouldnt use over .25g bbs.
                        350 not over .29g
                        500 anything from a .3g to a .43g depening on how your rifles set up.
                        vsrs generaly dont like real heavy bbs unless you do some work on the hop
                        the heavier the bb and lower the fps the longer it will take for the round to get there.
                        i use .4s in my tanaka and in my vsr now,mainly due to there being good quaility ones now and people generaly take ther hits more,plus at long ranges they are more accurate
                        user name changed from b*tcht*ts

Comment

yeah - I'm currently using .25's in my vsr.

was thinking about having a play about with something heavier though. - Need to put a tight bore in there first though.
                          Originally posted by Coz

Comment

slightly off topic but I was just watching this link from the gear and load out section.

quite a nice representation of a few things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKphISkCRPc&NR=1

Mac
                            Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Loving pmac(BT)'s sniper pics. I love it when a gillied up sniper jumps out at a little kid and scares the shit out of him.

Comment

So I decided to put up a guide to ghillie suits - my opinions of them and how to use them.

So - what is a ghillie suit?
                                according to wiki:
                                A ghillie suit, or yowie suit, is a type of camouflage clothing designed to resemble heavy foliage. Typically, it is a net or cloth garment covered in loose strips of cloth or twine, sometimes made to look like leaves and twigs, and optionally augmented with scraps of foliage from the area. Snipers[1] and hunters may wear a ghillie suit to blend into their surroundings and conceal themselves from enemies or targets. The suit gives the wearer's outline a three-dimensional breakup, rather than a linear one. When manufactured correctly, the suit will move in the wind in the same way as surrounding foliage.
                                notice this says when constructed correctly!

Why a ghillie?

Some of you may want a ghillie because you have seen them in films on games. - that is your prerogative. - some of you will want one to complete the look - others to become a sneaky bastard.

the fact remains that a ghillie suit is one of the BEST if not the best camouflage option available. - if it wasn't then the military wouldn't use them.

yes - many will say you don't need a ghillie - YOU DO NOT. you can remain well hidden in BDU's - but if you are good you can be near enough invisible in a ghillie of you use it correctly. - I've had guys literally within 2 feet of me and not been see. - you won't get that in BDU's.

types of ghillie?

Full suit:
                                One piece- as it sounds - a one piece ghillie which is made from a set of overalls or preferentially a flight suit.
                                Two piece - a full suit made from separate top and trousers
                                Three piece - separate hat, top and trousers - my own ghillie is a three piece.

Variations:
                                the full suit can have two variations - a full suit with camouflage material right the way around the body - i.e front and back - this is also known as a yeti suit I believe.

or

just camouflage material on the back of the ghillie (like mine) - this is designed for snipers really - who spend their entire time on their belly. - the front portion of the ghillie is reinforced with tough canvas or rubber and is often padded.

Stalker suit:
                                This type of suit is just a jacket and hat - often with camo all around the body. - it is designed for the person who is light on his/her feet but needs a reasonable level of camouflage. This type of suit is good for airsofters.

Poncho:
                                a very light camo option - this generally consists of just a hood which drapes over your shoulders - combined with a rifle wrap this can work well in the right circumstances.

Bought or made?

the answer to this every time will be make your own!!! - shop bought ghillies will always need some work. - making your own allows you to customise it to your site. - the one exception IMO is the webtex concealment vest. - a very good base for a ghillie - but it requires a lot of input on your part.

as ever youtube is very useful - I have linked this elsewhere in the thread.
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/GhillieA.../1/sCbrCocprE0

these guys are good. - the provide a few very good videos on making them too. - probably the best I have seen online.

materials? - hessian, jute, burlap, strips of BDU can all be used for a ghillie. - my ghillie makes use of all these materials to give it an extra depth of texture.
                                the ghillie I wore made by a sniper in the RAF regiment was made from strips of BDU which were glued on.

glued, sewn, or tied?

glueing on the material is a very quick way of making a ghillie - I made one for my nephew this way - I made a very usable ghillie in a day.

Sewn? - sew on netting - don't sew on your burlap etc - this means you cannot adapt your ghillie and will take months.

tied - tie material onto netting - this makes a good ghillie which can be altered or added to if required.

I'm open to questions as ever.

ATB

Mac
                                Originally posted by Coz

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Lt. Macka A work offshore in the North Sea. Depending on Internet connection and how busy I am, I'm typically more active on the forums when I'm away offshore. When I'm ashore I'm generally busy with various hobbies. Find out more about Lt. Macka
                                Working...
                                X