Sniping in the rain, advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniping in the rain, advice needed

Hello all, was sniping in the rain the other day and was really annoyign as i couldn't see what i was shooting at properly through the scope, everything was just a blur

Any tips on how to avoid getting the scope wet and how to dry / clean it properly before i take my shots so i am looking through crystal clear scopes like in a sunny day?

ty

Re: Sniping in the rain, advice needed

Wheres guard sniper he was a sniper he will tell you

Comment

Get a gortex bivy bag and get the scope in the bag?
      sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

if you use a sunshade on your scope it's not an issue at all... you can make your own easy enough... easy fix mate. also serves to cut down reflection from the lens... can't recommend them enough!

might want some anti fogging on the eye piece end to stop it fogging up (more likely in the rain!)
        http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=196931460381827

Comment

Hi, depend what scope, Butler Creek do some cool flip ups, protect thescope and give you a cool little ledge to stop rain!!

Comment

its a leapers 3-9x40 scope i have with the easy adjustable click turret (£35 or so on the auction site everyone knows of)

i thought the scope would have been long enough at the front to be classed as a "sun shade"

Comment

I guess you mean it was steaming up too?

I had this issue while playing in the snow last year. - and I was firing white bb's lol.

I think guard will have the answer to this one tbh.

Mac
              Originally posted by Coz
              Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
              http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

Give the lenses a very light coat of anti-fog - you don't want to smear it making it worse and then attach a sun-shade for rain, plus other mentioned advantages.

Been working for me for 3 (coming on 4 winters).

Comment

Very cheap and quick but crude approach to stop rain falling on the lens would be to get some thick card and wrap it (use tape to attach) around the front of the scope, like a little 'shelter'. Might seriously hinder your fov though. Probably not the best thing to do but just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Macka View Post
                    I guess you mean it was steaming up too?

I had this issue while playing in the snow last year. - and I was firing white bb's lol.

I think guard will have the answer to this one tbh.

Mac
                    Yet Guard wont answer which is annoying if hes meant to be the real deal will be end all advise then

Comment

+ 1 on the sunshade.

I have never had problems with any scopes / optics steaming up, Most are nitrogen filled and should stop this happening.

As for cleaning i use a lenspen they work great should you get blurring from rain etc...
                      Originally posted by massey666
                      I wouldnt worry mate, a quick shot in the garden wont make a whole SAS team jump out the bushes and fill you full of lead :P

Comment

Don't breathe on it...

Comment

The sunshades are indeed awesome, and readily available on a well known auction site... about £7ish as i recall.
                          Team Chimera Captain.
                          Assaulter/Scout Sniper/General sneaky B***ard!

Armoury:
                          TM M14, ICS M4 RIS, KA M4SD, ICS MP5 SD6 (for sale), TM MP5 SWAT, Tanaka M700 (for sale), TM VSR-10, TM Sig P226, TM 1911A1, TM Mk.23 SOCOM.

Comment

re mattplus's idea re thick card and tape: you'd be surprised how well this works.. use a bit of sniper tape to keep it in shape and so it slides on and off and it works perfectly!

butler creek style covers won't offer much protection in the rain, though i suppose better than nothing.

the other thing you can try (though a lot don't like it) is an old school anti relfection technique.. again with sniper tape make a mask over the end of the lens leaving only a letterbox apperature to see through.. if it's sized right it doesn't restrict the view, cuts out flash and sill stop the rain.. it will however drastically cut down the light intake to the scope.. so it's not for everyone!
                            http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=196931460381827

Comment

thanks guys, its not fogging up B.E.N.

looks like iel keep an eye out for some clear flip up sights.

ty

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

badas Find out more about badas
                              Working...
                              X