Taclights: Strobe or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Taclights: Strobe or not?

This ban everything attitude is the reason nobody can have or do anything in this country anymore. Your playing what I would class as an "extreme sport". The whole point in the game is to shoot people for Christ sake. Eye protection should be mandatory and for me that's it. Everyone has eyes to loose but the day I'm told nobody can use a strobe because one person is being a bitch then I wouldn't be going back. If you have epilepsy or anything else that can effect anything you may encounter in the game then take the risk or don't go. It's all well and good saying its discriminating but some people just can't do certain things. If some guy with no arms and no legs is told he can't do freestyle motocross is that discriminating? It's that attitude that will eventually restrict our hobby to the point it's not playable. Imagine 50 people getting a call saying there day game has been moved to a night one because one guy gets burnt in the sun easy.

Comment

It's all about risk management and nowhere about discrimination.

If a person turned up at a site I ran and asked if I'd mention it to the other players that they are averse to strobing torches, would I? Yes.

Would I make it mandatory for people to turn off or remove strobing torches? No.

"Why?" You may ask. Well, I'll tell you. It's all about choices. They've chosen to participate in a pastime they can fully enjoy, if they cannot, they should consider if they're making the right choices. People who are unable to fully participate in events usually accept their position. Some may gripe and groan, but they understand the situation.

What irks me is when others are "Offended" on their behalf and see discrimination in almost every minutia of an event. If you choose to play, then you're accepting the risks associated with the pastime. Manage your own situation as you see fit. Don't put upon others and expect them to adapt to the minority.
      There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

If I turned up at a site where someone announced that they were epileptic, I'd expect most players to not use a strobe as a matter of course to be honest, out of common courtesy.

The risk management on the side of someone who knows they are epileptic is a fair enough argument, needs of one vs. the many etc. If a site owner decides that they still want to allow strobes despite being told someone's epileptic, then its up to the player to make a decision whether they want to take that risk or not.

However, at the end of the day it comes down to not being a dick for me.

Simply put it's not absolutely critical that strobes are used in airsoft, we're grown boys and girls playing with toy guns. It won't ruin a day's play if strobes aren't used for the day, yes it'll make it a *tiny* bit less realistic and you *may* have a harder time clearing rooms, but its not like you can't still play and have fun.

If you have to rely on a strobe so much that you'd rather put a fellow player at risk than simply chuck it back in your kit bag, you're not the kind of player I want to game with to be perfectly honest. I'd prefer the games to be inclusive of as many different types of player as possible, as long as it doesn't stop the game being played at a fundamental level (strobes are not fundamental in any way shape or form, otherwise every single player would have one and use one).

Taking a tiny personal hit on not using a strobe to allow someone else to enjoy a day's play isn't 'elf and safety gone mad', a slippery slope to banning bbs or all pyro or anything like that. It's just being nice to a fellow player.

Comment

I agree with your points, excepting the one that if an item is fundamental to the game, everyone would have one.

Not everyone plays a BFG or pistol, but I've heard of sites that ban the use of both in varying forms. Co2 pistols in some cases and GBBRs? If they chrono to the site regs, I don't see the problem? I choose not to play at those sites. I agree completely about the point of not being a dick, though that works both ways. If a site plays CQB and strobes are fairly ubiquitous, then anyone who has a condition that could be exacerbated by their use may be perceived as a dick for expecting others to limit their use to satisfy their needs.

Just playing devil's advocate here.
          There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

Oh aye, it totally works both ways, but a small personal sacrifice to allow someone to play isn't a biggie for me. I agree that photosensitive players should attempt to avoid sites that are known for heavy strobe use as they're imposing on others, but the imposition is so amazingly insignificant to my overall enjoyment of the day that even if they did I'd be happy to let it slide to be perfectly honest.

If for example I'm using a strobe and it gets shot out I'm not going to end my day's play as a result.

And I wouldn't necessarily say that BFGs/pistols are fundamental to playing - they add to the enjoyment, give you an edge etc, but again if they went down I wouldn't pack up my gear and go home.

If a site chooses to ban them for a spurious reason (I don't know, like a falling out with a BFG manufacturer, not understanding CO2, or hearsay), then yes I have an issue with that. If they stop the use to aid player enjoyment/participation then I've got no issue with that personally.

Comment

For the record, I carry a BFG with 12 gauge ammo, a Co2 pistol and a strobe set up to annoy photosensitive players.

I also have a hat with a massive dong glued to it as I'm such a huge dickhead!!

Comment

I wouldn't expect anything less tactical dong FTW.

Comment

When I use my dmr a pistol is a requirement as I have a med. The way I see it is if I've bought something that's for airsoft I'm not leaving it in my car because of one person. While it is a hobby don't we all want that tactical advantage? Have a tight bore in your gun? Bigger spring? That magical hop up that gives you 2 mile range? If we didn't have all these cool toys we might as well all use corner shop springers. Maybe its just me being from the northwest and not a soft southerner but if I've not ended the day with my ears ringing and bruises I've had a boring day.

Comment

Quite right!

If I haven't been hospitalised or had a limb amputated, it's just not worth it!

Comment

• Taclights: Strobe or not?

I obviously only play in full bubble wrap protection, being a southern fairy and all...

But fair enough, if you have that much of an issue with not using a toy and its allowed by the site owner, by all means go ahead.

I personally won't, because winning a game/clearing a room quicker/a small tactical advantage when I'm playing soldiers isn't more important to me than putting someone's health at risk, but that's the beauty of personal preference isn't it?

Edit: I'd only question why your individual 'right' to use a non-essential accessory is more important than another individuals 'right' to play.

The pistol+DMR thing is a bit different to just having a sidearm by the way, if using a DMR then a pistol/backup *is* fundamental, for safety reasons. You'd stop playing (or be stopped playing) with a DMR if your pistol went down for safety reasons, why not any other bits of equipment? I'm not saying at all that any non-essential bits of kit should be banned, just that a bit of consideration for other people and maybe not using a particular bit of kit for one day isn't going to kill you.
                      Last edited by biscuitninja; 27 February, 2014, 12:22.

Comment

Don't get me wrong if I'm the only one with a strobe and there's a few complaining of health issues then I may well leave it off. But the site sets rules and regs. If everyone turns up to the game with their strobes which the site has allowed and have been using them week in week out. If someone don't like it then thats just tuff. It's not about being a dick. It's the principle of someone dictating to the many because of his one problem.

Comment

Just to throw out a different point of view, or to clarify an earlier post. I find strobes to be no fun, so I don't use them on other people, to not decrease their fun. Little bit of consideration in this hobby we play goes a long way.

The issue I've have with the "i've spent money on this bit of kit and there for its my right to use it", looking at it the other way and not just restricted to strobes, perhaps some time spent considering if its a good idea before hand.

Not looking to convert anyone, just food for thought.
                          "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

Taken from epilepsy.org.uk

In the UK, the flash rate of strobe lights is restricted to a maximum of four flashes a second by the Health and Safety Executive. This rate is considered to be safe for most people. However, some people with photosensitive epilepsy may still find strobe lights could trigger a seizure.

Things that can also possibly trigger, ceiling fans, cinema films, flashing Xmas lights, red flashing bike lights, sun beds, wind turbines and sunlight to name a few.

Should we all ban Xmas? Stop riding bikes at night? Fuck the environment? Close all cinemas.....I know this is a bit extreme but I think you get the point.
                            KJW KP-08 - g&g scar l - we g23 - kwa vector - g&g tr4 cqb-s

VOA is a combat multiplier. When engaging an opponent, or engaged by an opponent, the immediate application of extreme violence lends a ferocious momentum forward that is irresistible.

Comment

As with all things in life its often the extremist points of view you hear about the loudest, where as the silent majority tend to... stay silent on issues.

I always like the "what capacity magazines do you use?" Poll that's been running on here for a few years now. If you were to surface glance this forum you'd get the impression everyone are hardcore realcap users. But the poll shows most people use midcaps and high caps by a very large margin.
                              "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

Comment

You say you don't find strobes fun, yet you like spending your day getting shot at? Strobe light has never knocked a players tooth out or bruised the skin.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

plainlazy44 Find out more about plainlazy44
                                Working...
                                X