Taclights: Strobe or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taclights: Strobe or not?

only if your gonna have 4MW green lasers going everywhere too...
    Ill bring the glowsticks
    WHO PUT NOS IN OPTIMUS' FUEL CELL?!?!?! http://discharges.org/rave/
    sigpic

Comment

Airsoft is all about personal choice i dont see an issue with strobes as long as there is no one who suffers from epilepsy at the site, now before people say yeah but they might not know... the same can be said about many things how do you find out your allergic to something? by coming into contact with it. If sights start banning strobes because people get wound up by them thats stupid but if its for health reasons im fine with it, otherwise man up its only a torch.
      Custom M4
      TM 1911

Comment

what causes the headaches and migraines isnt the sudden burst of light, its the speed the light continuously flickers on and off,, in response to one theory of watching tv yes it does effect people, thats why when the programme begins it states there will be flashing scenes.

driving down a country lane at sunset will also not cause a reaction, just annoy you and a few years back they invented this thing and this thing was put in cars, and this thing is call a sun visor (crowd: oooo arrrr) so you can block out sunlight beaming in your face?

Comment

i dont know what the fuss is about, iv been strobed, got shot pretty quick after, if your going to stand there and stare into the strobe then your the idiot at the end of the day.
          if i see a strobe i get the hell out of the way of it.
          if someone has epilepsy, they should let the site staff know. and then obviously people will act accordingly,i dont think theres anyone that plays airsoft that would hear that and say "no balls to you" and use their strobe
          i say use them, aslong as its not a health risk to anyone, makes it abit more fun, and adds another element to the game, if you just wanna run round like a prat and fire aimlesslyy, isnt that why they have paintball?

Comment

Originally posted by Abbadon101 View Post
            All of those bigging up the strobes have you ever seen someone having an epicyclic fit?

My guess is no as you wouldn't consider taking the risk if you had. 2% of the British population suffers from epilepsy. Another 5% of the british population will suffer at least one isolated epleptic attack in their lives as well. And attacks can be so bad as to end up in hospital.

Now would you really feel they are necessary? At the end of the day, if you want it to be realistic we should all be allowed to toss 12g BFG's around indoors but I for one would leave a sight the moment that happened.

My local site doesn't allow strobes or lasers for the health risks they can pose. They also don't allow anything larger than a mk5 thunderflash or a 9mm blank at our urban sight. Again for the health risks that anything louder would pose.
            Think my post needs reading again, reference safety?. Please read the posts.
            Never Really Got that: BOOM ha ha Big 50

Comment

Originally posted by Abbadon101 View Post
              All of those bigging up the strobes have you ever seen someone having an epicyclic fit?

My guess is no as you wouldn't consider taking the risk if you had. 2% of the British population suffers from epilepsy. Another 5% of the british population will suffer at least one isolated epleptic attack in their lives as well. And attacks can be so bad as to end up in hospital.

Now would you really feel they are necessary? At the end of the day, if you want it to be realistic we should all be allowed to toss 12g BFG's around indoors but I for one would leave a sight the moment that happened.

My local site doesn't allow strobes or lasers for the health risks they can pose. They also don't allow anything larger than a mk5 thunderflash or a 9mm blank at our urban sight. Again for the health risks that anything louder would pose.
              Originally posted by Hypnose View Post
              Airsoft is all about personal choice i dont see an issue with strobes as long as there is no one who suffers from epilepsy at the site, now before people say yeah but they might not know... the same can be said about many things how do you find out your allergic to something? by coming into contact with it. If sights start banning strobes because people get wound up by them thats stupid but if its for health reasons im fine with it, otherwise man up its only a torch.
              +1 fairness
              Never Really Got that: BOOM ha ha Big 50

Comment

The mall, Reading corridors + stobes = FUN, Go for it!

Comment

I think I can see both sides to it really. Wouldn't make sense to ban them completely just cause there's a possibility someone might suffer an attack but on the other hand it can take only one attack for it to be fatal (cousin passed away from one while paramedics were trying to get it under control/stop it). I think just to be sensible it would make sense for any site operator to bring it up in the safety briefings just as a precation (especially for those who may have never tried it before so not know to expect coming across them). If they don't mention it then a bit of responsibility wouldn't go amiss by you (if you're going to use one or have one) asking about it to make sure everyone is in the clear.
                  Democracy: Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
                  Liberty: A well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

TM M4 CQB-R SOPMOD, WE M1911 SILVER x2, KJW MK1, KWA USP .45, KWA MP9 (soon)

Comment

Most site marshalls ask if anyone has any problems ie epilepsy

if anyone has it then you wont be allowed to use it, if not most sites allow it

all sites i have been to have a No infared lasers and lights though since they can be lethal to ones sight

Get a torch with strobe if you cant use it then its cool dont use it, but yes at the mall + Strobe+ KSC MP7= UBER FUN !

the pont of the strobe is that it stops people looking at you if your wearing glasses then it reflects blinding you vision i use mesh so it has less of an effect

Oh and i work with children with epilepsy so have seen and delt with many fits

Comment

Just want to clarify that I'm not demanding that strobes aren't used; as has been said numerous times "personal choice".

I've had epilepsy for 16 years, and have learned that to avoid a potential seizure all I need to do is keep up with my medication and avoid situations where strobes are used.

My view is that if I attended a CQB site, I'd be making sure that I tell the marshals about my condition and ensure I'm not about to be in a situation where I have a fit, loose my driving licence for a year, then subsequently loose my job, not able to keep up mortgage payments etc etc.

If there was any doubt, I'd leave the site.

Now I understand the point made re' pyro and people with heart conditions. In all honesty though, these people also avoid situations that are potentially hazardous.

It's my opinion that we should at least try to have a duty of care for each other... If you're going to be using a strobe, at least have the common decency of telling the marshals; then they can do everything they can to inform the rest of the players.

Don't want to sound like an arse, and I understand that this may well cause controversy, but if I informed the staff at a site about my condition, there was nothing in the safety brief, I got strobbed and had a seizure.... I'd promptly sue.
                      Originally posted by andre the giant
                      ...most of us like a balance of shooting and drinking tea.

Comment

Originally posted by donkonious View Post
                        J
                        It's my opinion that we should at least try to have a duty of care for each other... If you're going to be using a strobe, at least have the common decency of telling the marshals; then they can do everything they can to inform the rest of the players.
                        I agree people should inform the marshalls, i recently used a high power grenade and informed the marshalls, some poor guy got it full on his face indoors whilst wearing glasses. I felt bad but not that bad as people were warned about glasses in cqb and moscarts to the face
                        AMY WINEHOUSE R.I.P

G&P Silver M14 EBR Cheap
                        http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...om-going-cheap

Comment

people with epilepsy, dont go into the dark places where strobes may be used

same goes for hemapheoliacs, dont go where the bbs may cause you to bleed

people with tinitus, dont go where pyro might be thrown.....
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/BongoOldChap
                          airsoft drone footage, games, shooting sunbeds, the usual airsoft youtube channel

Comment

Originally posted by bongooldchap View Post
                            people with epilepsy, dont go into the dark places where strobes may be used

same goes for hemapheoliacs, dont go where the bbs may cause you to bleed

people with tinitus, dont go where pyro might be thrown.....
                            a certain amount of consideration needs to be taken though...
                            Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

Surely the bulk of the responsibility must rest with those who, knowing they are sensitive to flashing lights, put themselves at a direct and likely risk of being exposed to flashing lights? With them and, legally, with the site owners.

That isn't to say, however, that there is no reason to be considerate as a strobe user. I'm still interested in this possible claim that there is some sort of minimum exposure time before the lights are most dangerous.

I don't want to sound harsh with my first bit but I have been DJing when somebody with Epilepsy had a fit and they had to close the club for the night! Surely it wasn't a good idea for somebody, knowing they are epileptic, to come out, get drunk and then risk ruining not only his own night but also everybody else's who was in there! (which is exactly what he did). I realise that's an extreme version of what might happen in an airsoft game - I presume that people don't play drunk! - but, while I agree that us "strobers" must be considerate, surely those who knowingly suffer should "play it safe" and go to games where they are not likely to be strobed in the face from a very short distance?

Comment

Originally posted by KaRcop View Post
                                Surely the bulk of the responsibility must rest with those who, knowing they are sensitive to flashing lights, put themselves at a direct and likely risk of being exposed to flashing lights? With them and, legally, with the site owners.

That isn't to say, however, that there is no reason to be considerate as a strobe user. I'm still interested in this possible claim that there is some sort of minimum exposure time before the lights are most dangerous.

I don't want to sound harsh with my first bit but I have been DJing when somebody with Epilepsy had a fit and they had to close the club for the night! Surely it wasn't a good idea for somebody, knowing they are epileptic, to come out, get drunk and then risk ruining not only his own night but also everybody else's who was in there! (which is exactly what he did). I realise that's an extreme version of what might happen in an airsoft game - I presume that people don't play drunk! - but, while I agree that us "strobers" must be considerate, surely those who knowingly suffer should "play it safe" and go to games where they are not likely to be strobed in the face from a very short distance?
                                true but a lot people are undiagnosed. that guy in the nightclub was probably undiagnosed or in remission. obviously in that instance though it is unavoidable as neither you or they would know of the risk.

I would still ask whether anyone has it in case the marshalls forget.

and if someone says they are epileptic, it would be a bit unfair to expect them not to play just so you can use your strobe (if that is what you and others are implying?)
                                TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

plainlazy44 Find out more about plainlazy44
                                Working...
                                X