Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

fitting the DDmk18 rails onto a tm sopmod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitting the DDmk18 rails onto a tm sopmod...

hey guys, just got my sopmod back from eagle6, now i originally purchased the vfc ras to fit onto it, however there was no way it was gonna go on, paul said the only one (that i like) that will fit is the madbull dd mk18 rails, however i'm gonna have to fit these myself... i'd keep it with the standard rails, however i also purchased a silver dytac barrel which id like to use too...

So, if i get the mk18 rails, and fit them myself, what tools will i need? I already have an armorers wrench, however i believe the mk18 uses its own kind or wrench, though not sure? and does it in fact need a wrench, or is that only to make it uber tight?

also for taking off the original rails and barrel, is any special tools needed for that?

thanks for any help guys.

Josh

Re: fitting the DDmk18 rails onto a tm sopmod...

Since you've sent it to eagle6.... why don't you check out eagle6s' take down videos of the SOPMOD on YouTube, it shows you every step quite clearly thanks to Richard? Daniel Defense rail lock tight by simple hex screws, depends on your ras, but the delta ring on your original sopmod won't take any rail other than the original sopmod one, you'll have to either use the one supplied with the ras, or buy another that fits, the threads on there work with any aeg delta rings out there, I've fitted many different types of handguards onto a next-gen m4 without any problems, haven't had one that won't fit so far. (M500AB, Vltor casv, Troy TRX)

Comment

Yeah the madbull ones tend to come with there own delta ring / fitment making them fairly easy to install, its easier still with the madbull wrnech which you can use to tighten it up.

Ill be honest the thought of a different ras and front wire is more attractive than when its actually done, my dmr sopmod is limited to small batterys in the RAS and they struggle to power it.

Comment

I front wired my SOPMOD to take a 2200 mah lipo at the front when I had the M500ab... but now with a TRX 13 inch it can only take 1100 7.4v leaf type... which works completely fine (since I've taken the recoil weight out)... but yeah would struggle with the weight in, oh btw Richard I've just bought a 20 round magpul real steel mag and some sopmod mag inserts from ****CENSORED****, have you seen anyone who's cut down a sopmod mag to fit inside a short mag?

Comment

I'm still sticking with rear wired, just putting new rails on!

So basically strip it down to thre reciever threads, then attach some part that comes with the madbull kit (does this part screw on, if not how is it strongly attached???)

And so youre saying i don't need any tools simply allan keys, although a madbull wrench would help?

ta guys

Comment

You'll need a delta ring wrench, just a useful tool to have around for anyone with an M4 anyway to be honest, should be able to find a good one for about a tenner.

Comment

is that an armorers wrench? if so i have one!

One of those? although i believe that came from a WE gbb rifle...

will that be all i need, and will that also work for the madbull rails to tighten it?

if not, do i NEED that tool, or is there another way? are any of those sold in the uk?

ta

Comment

That should be able to lock the delta ring tight... after that all you need are allen keys which I suspect comes with the rail, if not.. well they cost a few pounds for a set in any hardware stores.

Comment

i'll have the allen keys that aint a prob, only thing i'm wondering is will that armorers wrench i have be suitable for taking the original ring off, or do i need a specific sopmod one...

Comment

The armourers wrench you have will do fine. One thing you might find - I had this problem when I fitted the exact same rail and barrel you have. As tight as the locking ring would go there was still wobble in the barrel, I went to an orange hardware shop, bought a 3mm leather washer and put it between the locking ring and barrel base. The ring then clamped on really tight and it's been fine for the last year, no tightening up again needed.

Comment

Originally posted by blobface View Post
                      I front wired my SOPMOD to take a 2200 mah lipo at the front when I had the M500ab... but now with a TRX 13 inch it can only take 1100 7.4v leaf type... which works completely fine (since I've taken the recoil weight out)... but yeah would struggle with the weight in, oh btw Richard I've just bought a 20 round magpul real steel mag and some sopmod mag inserts from ****CENSORED****, have you seen anyone who's cut down a sopmod mag to fit inside a short mag?
                      The only mag conversion ive seen is the sopmod mag inserts into real steel mag shells since they are meant to be identical size. The magpul real "steel" outers are popular. Cant really find a source of real magpul mags though to do enough of them.

Comment

Originally posted by joshh1512 View Post
                        i'll have the allen keys that aint a prob, only thing i'm wondering is will that armorers wrench i have be suitable for taking the original ring off, or do i need a specific sopmod one...
                        Yeah the best wrench is the laylax one as it has a cut for the rear castle nut and the front delta ring. As mafu says often you will need 0.1mm spacer washers which are available from shops or from laylax in there barrel spacer set. you should only need 3 - 5 to get it snugge tight dpending on ris your installing.

Theres no easy way to do it, like you found with the RIS you ordered its just a matter of choosing either the one everyone else has and fitting that becuase they have and they know it fits or taking a gamble and getting something else. When i do my project guns i often find my self spending an extra 100 quid more that what it will ever sell for becuase i had to order several parts before i got it just right.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

joshh1512 Find out more about joshh1512
                        Working...
                        X