Setup im working on (opinions needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup im working on (opinions needed)

Currently the ICS 85 is all stock... im trying to work out a upgraded internals that provide durability, performance, reliable, have a good crisp sound, be accurate and provide a balanced RoF.

So with that all in mind, this is my current planned setup

STOCK PARTS
    ICS: Tappet Plate
    ICS: Air Seal Nozzle
    ICS: Spring Guide

COMPRESSION
    Prometheus: Area Cylinder Head (ver 2)
    Prometheus: Cylinder (type A)
    Falcon: Red Devil Conical Pistol Head
    Madbull: m90 non-linear spring
    Madbull: Alien Green Polymer Piston

GEARS
    Prometheus: Shims Set
    Prometheus: 7mm Bearings / Bushings
    Deep-Fire: Titanium Gears (ver 2 / ver 3)

HOP-UP / ACCURACY
    Madbull: 6.01mm Ultimate Tight Bore Barrel 509mm
    Madbull: Shark Hopup Bucking (red)

Power
    Systema: Energy Motor (short type) - (no sure as to get the systema A-Z however im not planning torque)
    Extreme-Fire: SW AB Long MOSFET
    Vapex Power: 9.6V 5000mAh NiMH Battery

Other
    G&P: Grease Set

OTT? Or will it do what i need it to do (feel free to tweak it, suggest different parts, critisim too - however on this, the stock 85 is hitting 380 and for the mosfet to be fully effective the energy motor is a must as it power usage is lower)
    Originally posted by bravotwozero
    Half of the people on zeroin are ex-sas, or currently serving in the regiment, so you shouldn't have a problem getting some hard information.

Re: Setup im working on (opinions needed)

Alright dude, very tasty, i dont think you could have put much more inside it to be honest. If i was to change one thing, and it would only be due to a reliability issue...the barrel. 6.01 is tight...very tight. All it takes is some random crap and you've a jam or even scratched inner barrel. A .3 is plenty tight enough...but thats just my personel preference.

Hope it all goes well and you dont have any compatability issues.

Cheers
    Ben
    "As the Great Warrior poet Ice Cube once said, when the day does not require an AK it is good"

Comment

see im trying to find a 6.02mm but its a no go... a was under the impression that most bb's are 5.98mm as ive read loads of places there not actually 6mm but i dont have a caliper to test that...

whats a decent 6.03 barrel? prothy or madbulls python? i was lookin at one of they twist barrels... but am not sure if there decent or cabbage
      Half of the people on zeroin are ex-sas, or currently serving in the regiment, so you shouldn't have a problem getting some hard information.

Comment

Alright dude, as you mention yeah bb's are not exaclty 6mm, and in some cases not always under 6mm. More than exact size bb's are not always a perfect sphere either, again some are distorted, basically loped sided but not so the naked eye would notice. You could run a .01 but the only ammo you could use with almost a guarantee of perfect "sphereness" would be Grandmasters...but at almost 4p a round, gets pricey!

Madbull pythons have a coated inner barrel, this can rub off which over time could effect flight, but again, the amount would negligible and probably considering the cost not worth worrying about. Systema .03's are fine, Prommy's are great if you've the dollar and if you've even more money than sense i hear good things about PDI .05's!

As long as your hops set fine, you've a decent rubber your barrel just needs to be clean, straight and dry! Oh and as for the TK twist, had one in my G&P M733 and is worked flawlessly. Saying that i never really noticed much difference but this is airsoft, you may gain an inch, you may gain a mile. Either way, a man size target at 60m is all you really need to hit.

Hope this helps...ish.
        Ben
        "As the Great Warrior poet Ice Cube once said, when the day does not require an AK it is good"

Comment

Like ben says if you have the cash... Prommy 6.03

You are right bbs are generally smaller than 6mm but you want the bb to be guided by the barrel not confined to it. The tighter you go the more contact the bb could have on the inner barrel resulting in accuracy / fps issues and a higher risk of jams.

Decent ammo through any barrel is a must. Personally I recommend Madbull Match or Guarder 0.25g for what your going to run.

And to re-iterate if PDI think there is a market for precision 6.05mm barrels I think this maybe saying something....
          ADs

Comment

Wow! Why are all these upgrades needed? ARES L85, tightbore, job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
              Wow! Why are all these upgrades needed? ARES L85, tightbore, job done.
              Cos he's got an ICS and would have to sell it to buy an ARES? I'm just Fooling...

Your right, some upgrades are more indulgence than necessity but it's not my AEG. If Garf3r wants to put this stuff inside it then who am i to get in his way. I'll back him. Knock yourself out dude...

Ben

Comment

Just a side note to Garf3r, gutting your gun that much may result in compatibility issues. My advice would be to make sure you keep hold of the original parts (for debugging and spares), and upgrade methodically and probably by section and test before progressing onto the next, my suggestion...

Step 0. Baseline rifle for function, aprox range, accuracy, fps, ROF
                Step 1. upgrade HOP-UP / ACCURACY, check function, increase in accuracy, range, fps
                Step 2. upgrade COMPRESSION, check function, increase in fps, equivalent / slight decrease in ROF should be expected
                Step 3. upgrade GEARS, check function, equivalent ROF to step 2
                Step 4. upgrade Power, check function, increase in ROF should be expected
                Step 5. Skirmish it!

or just go for it and hope for the best...
                ADs

Comment

hey, cheers for the responce(s)

a dont have a ARES its a ICS... also working on a blowback system, gona be wicked once it the steel plate sorted :D

the stock parts will be always kept (as i know the ICS tappet plate is different, though someone said King Arms make one similar...) but you never know, ive done my research on parts and there compat and it seems Ver2 will fit so happy days with that...

BBs: see i use Madbull BBs, a fine there pretty sweet, the second type a use are KSC (there brilliant too)

as stated above i want to achieve something from the parts not to just get a bit of range then job is done, looking to look after each part for performance... ill be doing a similar setup to a SCAR when i get one, however it'll be semi only as id like to be a DMR...

the main area of concern for me, is the hop up and a decent range... its always the hop up i have difficulty with, because find the right compound and type is just a pain in the ****...

so the options are

Madbull 6.01 or 6.03
                  Prothy 6.03
                  PDI 6.01 (again tight) 6.05 (that not abit wide though given that if most bbs are less then 6mm makin the 5.98 fairly true, then thats a 7mm gap)
                  Twist Barrel (im sure this however disable hopup and can only be used on low fps guns... going by reviews ive just read on the net)

The stock barrel as read on the ICS website is a crazy 6.08 wtf where they thinking on that one? so that to me is like 1 mil gap that defo shouldnt be there

Who else make barrels?

There the systema option, theres also vanaras (although am not sure what clone type barrel this would be)

Im still torn between the Energy motor as ive had one before and with a MOSFET is crazy (the turbo and magnums need a mod done to insulate them from the MOSFET...) but then theres this A-Z from systema... i quite fancy a EG3000 too or that bravo Xyclone.. looks crazy but a dont want it insanely fast as thats going maul 75 rounder's in seconds...

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Garf3r the pen is mighter than the sword... but a bullet silences the writer Find out more about Garf3r
                  Working...
                  X