Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS L85A2 MOSFET Suggestions

Hi there,

I was thinking about sticking a MOSFET in my ICS L85A2 and was looking for suggestions or guidance from people with experience or greater knowledge.

I'm looking for something with braking so I can stick a higher voltage LiPo in there (7.2V has a painfully slow RoF in the L85 compared to what I'm used to!). I'm also encountering issues on Single Shot if I don't listen to the gearbox on Auto and time trigger release so it stops just after a cycle. Is that still braking or is it under another term like Jam Prevention or something? I would normally order another ASCU to put in, but the L85 doesn't have a standard gearbox style or trigger assembly, so I'm at a loss.

From what I've already heard, a few people have AirFETs and say they're ok, and I should be steering miles clear of BurstWizards. I could be wrong on both counts though!

Any advice appreciated,
    Pete

Re: ICS L85A2 MOSFET Suggestions

Well apparently the complicated trigger system on the ICS l85's was meant so that you can use an 11.1 lipo and it wont burn the trigger contacts, so i would recommend using an 11.1v lipo or maybe try a 9.9v LiFe battery pack which are meant to be pretty good. And are you SERIOUSLY using 7.2v batteries? they are meant for TM guns firing at what, 280fps, so no wonder your having jamming issues...

Comment

I'm sure it was a 7-point-something, but I'll check again when I get home if it sounds completely off. It definitely isn't in double-digits. I was originally a little bit dismayed, but I got it from the second-hand seller, so I didn't question it too much! Perhaps an oversight there...

I'll add a new battery to my monthly airsofting shopping list then. I'm still a little apprehensive about overspin and the general quibbles with internal changes. I've also heard a few horror stories of arcing between the trigger contacts, but they seem very few and far between.

Comment

Wll, is it a hard battery? or is it more square and have two leads coming off it? one with a small connector and the other which you connect to your gun?

Comment

Yes, it's a LiPo, a hard battery with the balance and power leads separate. And it's also a 7.4V. Shocking (Pun intended).

Should I risk running an 11.1 or stick with something a little lower, say, a 9V or something similar? I haven't got anything fancy inside the gearbox beyond a new piston, so I'm not too keen slapping it with an 11V just yet.

Comment

I have been running a 7.4 Lipo in my L85A2 since i received the rifle last month. Single shot trigger response is not fantastic but runs well on full auto.

I am comparing it to a G&G M4 and G&G UMP both of which have Ab mosfets however.

Comment

Well, i wouldn't say your really risking anything, if the rof is so low with a 7.4v lipo, then an 11.1v should be fine. Alternatively you could go with a 9.9v LiFe battery pack, its a good in-between one.
              One thing to check though, what is the 'C' rating on it? It should say on the battery, If its below 20C then i would recommend a 25C minimum as the motor might just not be able to draw enough current from the battery.
              Also, i know this sound patronising, but how charged is the battery? as you could just have a flat, or low battery.

Comment

I would personally say, don't put an 11.1v in there unless anyone else has had a positive experience with this.

I wouldn't risk the repair costs if it doesn't do what it says it will!

I've also got the ICS l85a2 and run 7.4's in it - although the ROF is a little on the slow side, it's an l85 at the end of the day and they aren't known for rapid auto fire.

Comment

That's ok laurence, you're not offending anyone!

It was fully charged and balanced on Sunday morning and I distinctly remember it choking on single on the pre-game chrono. It's a 20C 7.4V jobby, so I'll consider upgrading that.

Also, thanks AKABill. What make is your L85? Do you have a similar problem on Single shot, where it locks up?

Comment

a 7.4v lipo sits somewhere between an 8.4v and a 9.6v nimh battery. as its a used gun the motor could be on its way out if its seen a lot of use. also switching from tamiya plugs to deans will improve the connection and provide a better rof. i use a 7.4v 5000mah lipo in my ICS M16a3 and after removing the tamiya plug i got a noticable increase in rof.

if you do run 11.3v id suggest a new piston and gears as you don't know how much life your old ones have left so best off being safe than sorry.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Explosion of advice!

That was my thinking Reb. I'm not too fussed about squeezing a killer RoF out of it, but it'd be a nice addition if it fixes the single shot locking issue.

The seller hadn't used it too much and also gave it a full service before selling it, so unless I've done something wrong, the motor should be ok. I don't put that many rounds through it on the whole - less than a thousand a game day and I've only skirmished it twice. It's also already resoldered to Deans.

Back OT, has anyone got a MOSFET in their L85 or any suggestions?

Comment

Just like to say badger, a 7.4v 25C lipo, will give you a better rof than a 9.6v NiMh usually, if you are gonna use an 11.1v lipo, you really dont have to upgrade the gears as ICS gears are very nice, and i dont know why people always fret about their gears breaking with lipos, it will only really be an issue with G&P gears where they can fail at the axles or TM gears which are quite soft. The piston should be fine. However, if you really dont want to risk it, get the 9.9v LiFe batter like i mentioned before, if you want i can PM you a link.

Comment

Thanks laurence, but I've found it myself on a reputable site.

Again, guiding this topic away from battery advice and back onto MOSFETs...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter12378 View Post
                            Explosion of advice!

That was my thinking Reb. I'm not too fussed about squeezing a killer RoF out of it, but it'd be a nice addition if it fixes the single shot locking issue.
                            I use 25C Lipo's and I only notice the lock up issue when they get to the end of their charge. Otherwise I have no issues at all. So I would try getting new batteries first as that would be the cheapest/easiest solution as well as deans connectors.

As for MOSFET's I've been told you can't get a AB MOSFET in there, but I'm sure you could if you had the patience to troubleshoot!

Comment

I was just referring to batteries because you could try a more powerful battery and see if it solves the problem....

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Peter12378 Find out more about Peter12378
                              Working...
                              X