Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS CXP 08 - Grinding Noise (Surrey)

To all you airsoft techies,

For those of you who don't know me, just a heads up: I'm still very new to airsoft, so be gentle with me!

Ok, I've had my ICS CXP 08 (Which I believe is a split gearbox design) for about half a year now, but it recently packed up on me. I'm not confident enough to take it apart and have a look myself after the result of my last M4 (I took it apart and managed to fire half of the internals across the room with a spring. Never found them all again).

The issue is as follows: Upon pressing the trigger, a horrible "grinding" noise is emitted from the gearbox, as if two gears are just about touching but not interlocked, and are spinning franticly. This happens on both full and semi firing modes. I've tried adjusting the motor height to no avail, so I don't think it's that.

I was wondering if anybody in the area (I'm based not far from Wimbledon) would be willing to take a look? I'd be happy to pay for repairs ofcourse.

Anybody willing to help an airsoft newbie?

Many Thanks
    Dan

Re: ICS CXP 08 - Grinding Noise (Surrey)

I have the same gun and yes it does have the split gearbox design which makes it much easier to work on. If you are sure the problem is not the motor height then I would suggest you try removing the motor completly and check if there is any signs of damage or metal fragments that may suggest stripped gears (remove two screws on the base of the grip and remove the plate, battery terminals, pull out motor - done).

If everything looks ok then refit the motor, adjust the height again and try shooting. Removing and refitting might just free off something and solve the problem. If this does not solve the problem then watch a few Youtube videos on dissasembling the gun (ICS have done their own). The problem will most likly be in the lower gearbox, so since this does not house the main spring you won't get the problem of parts flying everywhere when you open it up.

Unfortunalty Im not local so can't help anymore but I would suggest you watch the ICS videos a few times and get some tools, Being a 'gun tech' isn't as hard as it seems, especially on this type of gun.

Comment

the beauty of an ics split box means you can just take apart the lower gear box which houses the gears without any springs attacking you!

to be blunt, in airsofting you only learn by doing, id hate to be the type of person reliant on local shops to fix any issues i had (i mean no offence by that lol)

watch a few videos on you tube. ics themselves have several videos showing you how to take apart and assemble gear boxes.

granted the first time you strip a gear box (normal kind) and everything springs out on you is scary. but its logical once you see how it goes lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by badger906 View Post
        the beauty of an ics split box means you can just take apart the lower gear box which houses the gears without any springs attacking you!

to be blunt, in airsofting you only learn by doing, id hate to be the type of person reliant on local shops to fix any issues i had (i mean no offence by that lol)

watch a few videos on you tube. ics themselves have several videos showing you how to take apart and assemble gear boxes.

granted the first time you strip a gear box (normal kind) and everything springs out on you is scary. but its logical once you see how it goes lol

Isn't all that exactly what I just said??

Comment

Urgh, I just typed out an entire reply to this thread and my browser crashed out on me -.-

Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for explaining what a split gearbox actually is (the term split gearbox meant nothing to me a few days ago).

I understand that people should learn to maintain and care for their own weapons (it's all part of the hobby afterall), but am not confident enough to take the plunge and start experimenting without some kind of backup weapon. The main reason I have not taken it apart and had a play is because I don't have a reliable backup if something goes wrong. I understand that this is the only way to learn, and I understand what most of the inner workings of the gun actually do, but don't want to risk being put out of action for yet another month+.

As soon as I get myself another job and have another AEG, I'll be sure to troubleshoot my own issues and have a play myself.

Once again, thanks guys. I'll check the ICS vids later on.

EDIT: After posting this I saw the "Restore Auto Saved Message" button at the bottom.... So ignore my complaining in the first line.

Comment

sorry i didnt mean to copy what you said above. i started typing my essay and then got diatracted at work. and then just hit submit when i next went to my office.

you could always send your gun tona local or not so local shop, but if its anything like my local (one of the biggest names in airsoft uk) their waiting list is about 3 weeks. but well priced at only £5 per hour.

Comment

Hey mate,
              Forgot to mention in my second draft of my last post that a gentleman from the forum (Thanks Beef) was kind enough to hook me up with a relative of his who repairs AEG's. The gun is now repaired and in his hands. He's just working on adjusting the FPS a bit and it's cost me £30 including a new spring, new piston (pistol was broken hence the gun not firing before and the spring is for FPS reasons) and labour.

Cheers for the advice guys. Hopefully I won't have to ask again.

Dan

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

NapalmFist Fairly new to airsoft, and I don't drive... so always looking for people in the local area who fancy travelling together. Just managed to get my full loadout sorted. Find out more about NapalmFist
              Working...
              X