Switch Assembly Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch Assembly Advice

So I'm going to swap out my Switch assembly in my SRC gearbox. The reason for it is that the wiring is broken and of course it needs replacing so I figured I may as well Rear Wire it while I'm at it.

What I'm looking for is advice on which Switch assembly to go for? Does it really make much difference between brands?

I've looked at a few and they range from as little as £6 (elements) all the way to £34 (systemma) I'm just curious if its really worth spending the extra amount?

The gearbox is a standard V2 Gen III gearbox and is being used with a SRC High Torque Motor.

Thanks

Kyle

Re: Switch Assembly Advice

Not really, a switch is a switch, unless it has a mosfet included in the wiring loom. The main difference between V2 triggers is whether it has an electrical or selector-plate base safety (looks like 2 prongs on the back of the unit), which I recommend against, as it's a massive source of resistance and makes the selector contact get really hot. I personally tend to wire up my own wires to it, which is cheaper and of a higher quality than most stock or upgrade wires, and you don't have to mess around with part incompatibility.

As you have an SRC, I would highly advise soldering your own wires on instead. I know there are some small compatibility issues with fitting an after-market switch block in an SRC (nothing that a craft knife or a file can't solve), but if any of them transfer over to the carriage, then you will have a nightmare of a task to set that right again, as cutoff timing can be a pain. Just changing the wires carries none of those risks!

Else, get any after-market switch, doesn't really matter which. I'd advise one without an electrical safety though... though ones with are actually pretty hard to get these days, it's a pretty old-hat marui thing.

Comment

Thanks for the response! The only reason I was looking at getting a new trigger block was because I don't own a soldering iron at the mo. Though saying that there is a number or things I've come across lately that one would come in handy so I might have to invest.
      I don't suppose you could tell me what sort of cables I'm looking for? Any advice you could give on which cabling is best? If I do replace the cables I will need to replace the cables that run to the motor and I need new spade connectors too!

Thanks,
      Kyle

Comment

Just go for the element, its a clone of systema anyway and is pretty decent

Comment

I tend to use 16awg silicone wire - the fit is a little tight and you may need to cut off the little bumps in the top half of the shell that poke the wires down. 18awg will definitely fit in pretty much any case with no modification, but has a slightly higher resistance. Btw, I use a fairly cheap solder station like that one, it's cheap and hasn't crapped out on me yet, despite me using it a lot, and it makes soldering Deans connectors REALLY easy, which I recommend fitting as well, as tamiyas are unreliable and generally crap.

Also, use flux or at least flux cored solder, it helps :P

I'd personally go with getting a soldering iron and rewiring, as it gets you a new tool and frees you up to be able to further modify your rifle as and when you need to, but if that is unlikely to happen or you don't really enjoy fiddling with your equipment all that much AND are content with using tamiyas, go with a full unit. :P

Oh and at a push, you can cut off the existing wiring loom's spade connectors with a short length of cable and just in-line them. It's not ideal, but saves you having to wait for the delivery of YET another part. Or you can get some Ring connectors (m3 hole is normally MORE than large enough) which do not run the risk of breaking the motor tab or have any chance of falling off. Fun and games, eh?

Comment

When I started using LiPo's in my ICS m4 the switch contacts got a little fried so I replaced my switch and wires with an Ultimate switch assembly. Good product for the front wired kit by when I replace the rear wired kit on my m16 I found the negative motor wire was a little short, got it fitted but was a bit of a pain.

Comment

Either buy a replacement switch block or use the existing one, get some 18awg silicone wire off ebay - the difference in conductivity of the two wires is negligible. the wire shouldnt cost you more than two quid, so its a mugs game really. If your motor contacts are knackered get some 2.8mm BRASS SPADE FEMALE CONNECTOR off ebay - two quid for ten - none of this five thousand quid systema gold motor contacts BS.
              Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Razielkah Find out more about Razielkah
              Working...
              X