Gearbox upgrade dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox upgrade dilemma

I've bought a broken D-boys M4 from a user here, but when I tried to get the gearbox to work there was nothing. For a game at the weekend, I put the gearbox out of my JG M4 into it, but it seems to sit very tightly in the new metal D-boys body I've bought, effecting the angle of the hop up. So, in an ideal world I think I'd like to stick with the D-boys gearbox.

I've just opened up the box and found that the wires are frayed and may well have been shorting. Everything else is in good, clean condition.

My questions are these: Should I replace the wiring, or can I get away with carefully heat-shrink wrapping it? Should I consider an internal upgrade at the same time? I've looked at the Element tune up kits and they seem to be good value, rather than messing around with different bits from here and there. Or, at the end of the day, should I just replace the whole lot? If that's the case, what with as I really don't want to have to mod anything to get it to fit and don't want to spend stupid money?

Thanks for any advice you can give me as this is the first time I've messed with a gearbox.
    sigpic

Re: Gearbox upgrade dilemma

Any ideas?
    sigpic

Comment

Replace the wiring, while you're at it get some upgraded wires, it'll make your gun fire faster. Or, seeing as you put the gearbox from your Jg M4 into it, why not transfer all the internals from the JG GB into the DBoys GB Case? Or would you rather have two guns? As far as element goes i cant really help you there as i have no experience though. You might consider putting in some metal bushings if it has'nt got them already.

Comment

Yeah, I do want both guns working.

I can feel an expensive series of bits coming on here. Re-wire, bushings etc. At least the element kit has all the stuff I need (gears, piston and head, spring guide, anti-reversal, bearings and shims) except the wiring upgrade in one pop for £28. Would just a new GB be a better option, considering the fit problem?
        sigpic

Comment

New wiring £20-25, Metal Bushings £7.50 (systema), cheap as you like in terms of airsoft upgrades. Not sure on the quality of the element stuff as its chinese, i personally wouldnt use it due to the fact is cheap and chinese. However they could turn out to be really good.

All problems in a GB can, and should be sorted out with spare parts rather than buying a whole new mechbox.

Comment

am doing the same for my mates jg m4. the wire ,16awg from maplan is £2.99 for ten meters, from what i have researched the element tune up kit is better quality that the guarder one we considered, apparently the guarder one piston had a nasty habit off breaking

Comment

Originally posted by Barny Hamon View Post
              All problems in a GB can, and should be sorted out with spare parts rather than buying a whole new mechbox.
              Yeah, but all the internals cost a shed load more than a new box. I realise that if I just want to sort the wiring, then that's easily done with spares. But, if I want to replace all the gears etc, then it will be cheaper to replace the whole GB. The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading the internals, rather than replacing the box, is that I've read mixed reviews on the quality of D-boys internals.

Thanks for the opinion on the element internals, pinky, that's the sort of thing I need to hear.
              sigpic

Comment

+1 on getting the wire from maplin, although i am very curious as to how this MAGIC wire that adds power to a circuit....(makes you gearbox faster???WTF?) works :P

Element parts are pretty good, thats all ove ever used though, but their vented bearing piston head did shatter in my rif (330fps) after 800 odd rounds but that was probably just a bad one.
                back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

That makes sense to me. Good quality wire losses less energy in the form of heat, therefore transferring more energy to the gearbox. Like wiring up your speakers, thin wire sounds crap, thick quality wire gives a much better sound.
                  sigpic

Comment

well i was assuming wire that was up to the job would be used, true on the audio thing although i lean more towards the side of proper sheilding and good connections is most important for music transmission as i always make the assumption that the right wire would be picked for the task, hehe who would wire up speakers with pish anyway? not that im an audiophile, although i have gotten into many an arugument with some lately about lp's sounding better.
                    but heat loss through the wire? well i suppose on a high load yeah there would be heat but assuming that all connections are equal in comparison, a thicker wire will still heat up under the same heat inducing load but as their is more mass in the core the user would possibly not notice it as much..?..and the internal resistivity of the wire would go up less as the gradient would be reduced....Hmm sounds like im agreeing with you.
                    anyway ill shut up now and find something else to write a small essay on....
                    good luck with your upgrades!
                    back in the game after 12 months away!

Comment

a thicker wire causes less resistance, so less heat is produced

get 14awg SILICONE wiring from a rc shop..... re wire.

chuck an element tune up kit in and be done with it

Comment

I use the 16 AWG wire from ********* ****. Silicone wrapped. Slightly thicker than the plastic stuff. I'm not sure any 14AWG would fit in a V2 GB to be honest. 16AWG was bad enough.

Best way to explain how thicker wire makes a difference in airsoft, is that it does, try it. :P They aren't useing the thickest wire, because there simply isn't room for it. It's only low voltage you're talking about, so it's going to notice any increase in resistance.

Wire is cheap. You're talking £5 posted from ********* ****. Why bother buying a new GB. Also, I'd stay away from element, I've had a fair few duffers from them, and to be honest, the gears are basically the same as the ones you have now. The pistons are poor, and as said above, the piston heads can break. The spring guides aren't even that great, and havn't sat in any JG gearbox I've tried to put them in. If you ask me - Systema bushings and new wire, will be the cheapest, safest way.
                        sigpic
                        Tanaka M700 RealSword SVD TM VSR
                        I want your broken Tanaka shotguns!

Comment

to be honest unless your going for a major power upgrade just regrease the cylinder and check airseal, replace wiring and use it as the main internals should be okay for general use and when you wear it out upgrade it
                          m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

i managed to fit 14awg in my p90 gearbox.......... dont really know enough about v2 to comment tho.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Caveira Find out more about Caveira
                            Working...
                            X