Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with nimh battery

Hi guys,

Basically I bought a used 3300 mah nimh battery. It had zero charge and I put it on a fast charge at 3 amps using a Pro Peak Varipulse charger and it took literally 5 minutes to beep, signifying it is fully charged which is't right. I then discharged and charged it again. It seemed to take a little longer but still not very long at all.

Now my question is, is this battery knackered or can I somehow recondition it to bring it back to life?

Cheers!

Re: Problem with nimh battery

Try charging at a far, far, far slower rate, about 0.5 amps and just charge and discharge a number of times. If it's going to hold charge at all then that will do it. Slower charge is better, 3A is WAY too high...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladyr View Post
      Try charging at a far, far, far slower rate, about 0.5 amps and just charge and discharge a number of times. If it's going to hold charge at all then that will do it. Slower charge is better, 3A is WAY too high...
      Actually a high current charge once in a while is good for a nimh or nicd.

By the sounds of it, you may get a bit more life out of it, but I doubt you'll ever get it back to new.
      Buy my stuff!

Comment

Thanks for the swift replies! I discharged it and recharged it at 0.5 amps. It must have been on for at least 6 hours this time before it beeped so it took a good amount of charge. I've heard this may not be indicative of its actual usable capacity as it may discharge quicker through use than normal, due to age. I am going to see how it goes and hopefully it should be cool!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

webbjay Find out more about webbjay
        Working...
        X