Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XT60 connectors

Hello,

At the weekend I used my trusty M4 in more of a support role. I needed to change battery at lunch time and I noticed that the Tamiya connectors were more than a little warm to touch and a little blackened. I have lost faith in Tamiya connectors and want to change them.

I read in another thread about a XT60 connectors and would like to know more about them, could someone please fill me in about these connectors? How hard are they to fit? Do they snap on or do they need to be soldiered? My soldiering isn’t that good, would I still be able to fit them? What makes them better than the Tamiya connectors?

Re: XT60 connectors

Originally posted by amorris View Post
    Hello,

At the weekend I used my trusty M4 in more of a support role. I needed to change battery at lunch time and I noticed that the Tamiya connectors were more than a little warm to touch and a little blackened. I have lost faith in Tamiya connectors and want to change them.

I read in another thread about a XT60 connectors and would like to know more about them, could someone please fill me in about these connectors? How hard are they to fit? Do they snap on or do they need to be soldiered? My soldiering isn’t that good, would I still be able to fit them? What makes them better than the Tamiya connectors?
    Rofl!

XT60, very similar to deans, both need soldering- chop out old connector, solder in new one (female connector on battery side), done.

As far as comparing them to Tamiya ones, weren't you involved in a thread discussing connectors, where some great information was shared about the fact that Tamiya connectors have their limits, and that deans and the like are a vast improvement in several ways, no?
    Originally posted by Walter Gropius
    If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

As above but XT60s have a very solid connection, may need some strength to separate, very unique few people use them

Comment

Originally posted by a_flea View Post
        Rofl!

XT60, very similar to deans, both need soldering- chop out old connector, solder in new one (female connector on battery side), done.

As far as comparing them to Tamiya ones, weren't you involved in a thread discussing connectors, where some great information was shared about the fact that Tamiya connectors have their limits, and that deans and the like are a vast improvement in several ways, no?
        Which he chose to ignore all the info given as apparently according to him Tamiya were perfect and there was no need to use them and anyone who used deans were snobs

CA M249 Para - TM Glock 18c - Cyma ASCU AKM (048M)

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys,

How hard is the soldering for a XT60 connector? Is it something a beginner could do? Also how big are the connectors, it needs to fit in the hand guards of my M4.

As for the Tamiya connectors I’ll admit that I was wrong, I’ve never had a problem with them before, but after using my M4 more than normal they did do what everyone else said. I like to think I learn from my mistakes and admit them, I will give my advice based on my experience.

Comment

Basic soldering's easy - but do get a high-end iron. The cheapy ones are pish.

Comment

Soldering them couldn't be easier, a little wire wool prep before on the connectors and your good to go... Just make sure you heatshrink over any exposed metal... Size wise, XT60 are about 50% bigger than deans, but half the size of a large Tamiya... Good to see that you can admit to your mistakes lol!

Edit: ^^
              Originally posted by Walter Gropius
              If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

Thanks Panotes, that might be my problem, as cheap ebay soldering iron.

What is considered a good iron?

Comment

Also do not splooge solder all over it, use a small amount and work up if you need more. Nothing worse than wires cuffed up with too much solder. Also if you want easier changes I personally think deans are easier to connect up together. Again though its personal pref as they are both fine for your needs also as above heat shrink any exposed wire.

CA M249 Para - TM Glock 18c - Cyma ASCU AKM (048M)

Comment

When getting a soldering iron, make sure is a variable temp one with a stand a sponge to clean the tip each time, having the soldering iron up too high will make soldering a pain in the ass!
                    Flux can help the cleaning of the connection. But is not essential.
                    Cut and bare your wires, prep your connectors with a bit of wire or a scourer. Something to hold the connector helps too like a set of helping hands (search eBay for helping hands) will greatly aid soldering!
                    Heat a tiny amout of solder on the iron, then allow the bared wire to soak about of solder and cover the wires, then heat a small blob of solder on the connector (put heatshrink sleeping down the wire)
                    You shouldn't need anymore solder now, just put a tiny amout on the iron put the wire on the connector and allow the solder to heat as soon as it heats move the iron and it'll cool and should all be connected. Then slide the heatshrink over and heat gently to shrink it.

That's my personal way of soldering and ive been ok, tho a lot of the time I get a mate to do it as he is a perfectionist and does a brilliant of it every time!
                    . .

Comment

Well I think I paid about a fiver for my 'expensive' soldering Iron.

As said you must 'tin' and heat up the components parts so the solder flows or it will end in tears. As will not soldering the connectors in pairs.

The biggest problem of inexperienced people using their own experience to guide people is that it is often misleading and helps no one. But then it is better then someone said someone's mate heard someone say! You all know what I mean I'm sure.
                      Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

A cheap ebay soldering iron at 40w around £6 will do all you airsoft soldering ever needed. Forget xt60's stick dean connectors on them. There are far better for connections and are smaller in size, plus if you use deans like most people then if you run out of batterys someone at your site will always have a spare that will fit your gun, where as xt60's very few people use them
                        Signature Removed: Please read the forum rules

Comment

OK just to throw my 2p in as i solder a lot.

Just by a cheap iron, 30-40w will be fine and buy some decent thin solder, head to Maplins. XT60 connectors are as good as Deans. Seriously anyone who starts saying use Deans because of resistance and blah, ignore it, there are arguments for and agiainst. Its preference and the differences will be tiny if any.

The XT60 connectors are easier to solder than Deans as they have a little hollowed out bit for you to solder to, Deans dont. I use Deans but only bevause my firend uses them and we can change batteries if needed.

Oh XT60 only up to about 16awg though otherwise they are a bit small.

What to get:

soldering iron
                          solder
                          heat shrink
                          someone else to hold wires as this is your first time
                          i recomend pliers for them to use because the wires will get hot - again because you new to this.

Get the bare wire ends, twist each one.
                          Then get the soldering iron on for a bit so its hot
                          hold the iron against the wire and then touch the solder to the wire
                          (may need someone to hold the wire in pliers while you use the iron in one hand and the solder in the other - i use a 'helping hand tool' or a metal tray)
                          as soon as the solder melts onto the wire remove the iron.

Thats one wire tinned!

copy, and repeat for the other wire.

Then get the connector
                          again hold the iron on it for a minete and melt some solder onto the side to be soldered - exactly as above.

Then cut a small tube of heat shirink and put it on the wire, pull it way down the wire so it doesnt start to shrink as the copper heats.

i usually forget this bit, then i swear then i have to desolder and start again, but that because im a numpty!

then put the iron on the soldered area of the xt60 until the solder that you already put on melts
                          then put your 'tinned' wire into the pool of molten solder on the connector, hold it there and remove the iron. The solder will set and the 2 bit are now joined!

There you go, thats soldered. Then once you have both wires connected move the heat tube over the bare metal of the connection and use a heat gun, hair dryer or the warm shaft of the soldering iron to carefully shrink the shirnk tube.

Dont use electrical tape as the movement of the wires causes it to come off, especially on silicone wire, then you will end up with shorting and bits of tape floating around your gun in places you dont want them.

Hope that helped.
                          I know what i said because i was standing here when i said it.

ICS FAN - Always looking for parts. PM me what you have

Comment

better that Tamiya connectors because of the higher amp rating, thicker plastic, gold plated connection, feel more solid, they just are?

Thats all the reasons i could think of.
                            I know what i said because i was standing here when i said it.

ICS FAN - Always looking for parts. PM me what you have

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

amorris Find out more about amorris
                            Working...
                            X