7/8/9mm Gearbox's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/8/9mm Gearbox's

Hi, so I've been looking into upgrading the internal gear box parts of my AEG, done a fair amount of home work on the other bits but couldn't seem to find much on the larger bearing sized gearboxes(strengths / weaknesses), can anyone give me a little info on them, the more detail the better but any info will be great.

So heres a little list of what i'm changing, reckon a 9mm case will make much difference? also as it will be the first time I've ever really upgraded a gearbox, if anyone's got any suggestions or tips I'd massively appreciate it.

So here goes I've got a CA M15a4 RIS, planning on putting on these upgrades:

G&P M120 High speed motor
    King Arms ultra flat high speed gear set (couldn't find much info on ultra flat gears, any info would be great)
    King Arms 7mm bushings (9mm if it sounds worth it, with the correct housing of course)
    Systema Energy Cylinder Type 2
    Systema Polycarb Piston
    Systema Cylinder Head V2
    Systema Aluminium piston head with bearing (Don't know what the bearing does, Do all piston heads have this? whats the benefits/dawbacks?)
    UFC Aluminium Nozzle

So thats basically it, thanks in advance for any help.

Jago
    If You Run You'll Only Die Tired

Guns:
    CA M15 A4 x2
    Vsr G-spec
    P226

Re: 7/8/9mm Gearbox's

So what do you want to achieve with all this upgrading? Speed? Power? Reliability?

BTW, the bearing on the cylinder head allows the spring to turn along it's axis when it compresses, avoiding unnatural or accelerated wear. They can add a little to your overall FPS.

Downside would be adding weight to the piston assembly (though this may be desirable, depending on what you want to do!)
    Originally posted by TLSFx on the misuse of pyros
    Never wave them at police firearms response teams. Those people have (real) guns and no sense of humour.

Comment

Basically the bearings will drop friction, increasing efficiency of the gearbox. As far as selecting a bearing size, the larger the bearings the harder it will be to damage them, but unless your running a stiff spring (increasing resultant radial load on the bearings) 7mm should do you just fine.

Out of interest why are you going for a metal piston head? I run one at the moment (guarder) but am changing to a polycarb simply because it is lighter/reduces shock loading on the cylinderhead/gearbox front.
      Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

ROF is what I'm after, want to keep it at the 320FPS mark, so i take it that cylinder head would be suited more towards power then ROF?

Guns:
        CA M15 A4 x2
        Vsr G-spec
        P226

Comment

I was just gonna try the aluminium one out tbh, the site I'm getting it all from only has one decent polycarb, and it says its only for use on a high power spring (m120 or higher) so thought id try it and when i need to order something else from somewhere else ill grab a polycarb one.

Guns:
          CA M15 A4 x2
          Vsr G-spec
          P226

Comment

The best bearing is Kanzen 8mm ceramic bearing.
            For the ultimate ROF setup, you need to have 243mm tb, high flow piston head, high torque gears set, m160 motor.

Short stroked piston, 1/2 ported cylinder.
            sigpic

Comment

Not a normal length 363 TB? thats what i was gonna order. high torque gear set not high speed, how comes?

Any particular brands i should be looking at? i take it kanzen dont make a ceramic 7mm bearing?

the short stroked piston just one with only half the teeth?

**Edit. How much will the shorted TB affect accuracy aswell?

Guns:
              CA M15 A4 x2
              Vsr G-spec
              P226

Comment

Originally posted by deanfirst View Post
                The best bearing is Kanzen 8mm ceramic bearing.
                For the ultimate ROF setup, you need to have 243mm tb, high flow piston head, high torque gears set, m160 motor.

Short stroked piston, 1/2 ported cylinder.
                never heard of anyone using torque gears in a speed set up...the motor on the other hand...
                TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

For crazy ROF you don't want to use bearings at all. You're much better off with solid bushes. And as noted above you really don't want to use torque gears :D

If you did want to use bearings in your gearbox for another purpose then the quality of the bearings is more important than size. You have more choices at 8mm than either of the others.

If you have't bought this stuff yet then I would recommend
                  SHS 13:1 gears
                  SHS High torque motor and a mosfet
                  Systema stuff is OK but there is much better out there for cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by caffin999 View Post
                    never heard of anyone using torque gears in a speed set up...the motor on the other hand...
                    If you never heard this, use google.
                    sigpic

Comment

Then still don't do it ;o)

Speed gears, torque motor (thought the M160 will do, but...)

The rest I'd mostly concur with though, but honestly using a slightly longer cylinder and barrel won't result in an actually noticable difference in rps if you wanted an M4 length barrel.

Comment

OK, I searched and still nothing. Are you SURE you mean gears?

Comment

happyal - surely bearings give much less resistance than bushings? would be why almost everything engineeringy that needs to run at speed uses bearings not bushings.
                          Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Airsoft bearings aren't the best made bearings, and the bearing fit in the gearbox isn't that great either.

If you are going to run really high speed, it's best to glue the bearing or bushing into the gearbox. If you look in the high speed thread on the general forum, you'll see that some people have had good luck running with bearings, I haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by dave38x View Post
                              happyal - surely bearings give much less resistance than bushings? would be why almost everything engineeringy that needs to run at speed uses bearings not bushings.
                              for all of them to work sufficiently without them failing they need to be put in accurately,and secured into place, if one of the races is out by a fraction it will disintigrate under high speed, bushings are a lot more forgiving, and thats why they are recommended,you can use bearings but you have to make sure they are seated perfectly
                              VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                              trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

lt.fowler Find out more about lt.fowler
                              Working...
                              X