Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Upgrade advice for ICS M16 (mosfet, trigger, piston)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade advice for ICS M16 (mosfet, trigger, piston)

Hi everyone,

Finally i played airsoft at the weekend and my gun was ok.

Its still miss eeding a little but i think that hop unit is catching in the upper receiver so i can fix that.
    Also think the seal around the hop rubber is leaking but again i can fix that too.

So on to the next stage.

I want to improve the trigger responce and generally tighten everything up, so
    what mosfet do you recomend? ive been looking at the airfet, are they any good or what others?

Can i upgrade my trigger? for a better trigger feel or even to one with a micro switch?

What pistons and piston heads will work? im not looking to increase fps just want to upgrade it as my mate smashed his at the weekend so id rather upgrade now and take the current one with me as a spare.

the goal here (for the time being until i get another AR-15) is to improve trigger response, maybe increase ROF a little, keep accuracy and reliability.

All suggestions are welcome. i just ordered some 16 awg silicone wire to do the rewiring and im going to make my own fuse holder.

Thanks
    Last edited by sj_asc; 31 July, 2012, 08:13. Reason: Moved to "Tech - Electric Guns"
    I know what i said because i was standing here when i said it.

ICS FAN - Always looking for parts. PM me what you have

Re: Upgrade advice for ICS M16 (mosfet, trigger, piston)

Is this the first time you have played airsoft, because some of what you are asking for is pretty advanced upgrades, but I'll give you my advise anyway.

As for the trigger response, a mosfet will help and by the sounds of it you'll be looking for a mosfet with a micro switch. The problem here is that the 2 mosfets that I know come with micro switches are currently end of life and are not made any more. You might be able to find one second hand, but you’ll be looking at nearly £100 for either one. There is a new mosfet with a micro switch (and a few other features) coming out very soon, it’s currently being tested.

I use the speed adjustable triggers in my AEG’s if you are using a micro switch they are great.

As for pistons, most are OK. I currently use SHS, because they are good and cheap.

Accuracy is all about the hopup and barrel. I noticed you didn’t ask about it but I’ll give you my advice anyway. A good cheap barrel is the Madbull V2, I don’t know much about the stock ICS one.

Rewiring is OK, but sometimes thick wires can cause real problems. Be careful to stick it down probably and route it correctly.

Lastly I wouldn’t recommend the Air Fet mosfet. It’s OKish mosfet but it’s outdated and there are better mosfets out there for the price.

Comment

And just to avoid any confusion, barrel length makes very little difference. People assume a longer barrel results in better accuracy, well in a real rifle where you have expanding gases it is correct. AEGs however do not use expanding gases. They us a volume of air that is pushed through a small hole onto the BB for propulsion. The air (AFAIK) is not expanding. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I had an M4 that used a 6.08mm barrel, after changing it to a 6.03mm there was fk all difference. Don't waste money on a barrel (unless the one you have is a piece of shit). Spend money getting a decent hop rubber and nub and possibly a new chamber if the current one has a crap seal.

If you're using an AR-15, I've heard many good things about the ASCU MOSFET. Expensive, but very good. May save you money later on as they claim to increase the life span of your gearbox.

As recommended above, SHS do make great value parts. They'll last a fair while and won't cost a bomb.

So for trigger response: ASCU MOSFET, HighTorque Motor (SHS, HighTech, Element, Classic Army are a few)
      Accuracy: Better hop rubber and H nub
      ROF: Deans connectors, MOSFET, lower FPS spring (280 FPS is a good FPS for high ROF), higher voltage and mah battery or LiPo/LiFe

Comment

ASCUs are incompatible with ICS I believe...

Comment

Yep im pretty new to airsoft but ive already had to rebuild my gun as so much has gone wrong.

Your right B.E.N the ASCU doesnt work in ICS, well they say dont use it because it disables the safety. Now that doesnt seem like that much of an issue as my gun is always on semi anyway while playing and then its mags out in the safe zone and shoot to clear the chamber. Having no safety doesnt matter to me, what does worry me though is that so few ICS owners have used the ASCU (they even advise against it on their site), that i feel i would be on my own if i had issues. I can imagine that my requests for help would rightly ring to the sound of 'i told you so!'.

I have been advised that the Billy Breach Mosfet is a good one, however it does no brake the motor.
          I have been told the Airfet is a 'little out dated'.

So im now looking at the Fireworks ARES MOSFET.

My gun currently has a brand new ICS hop unit, Madbull BArrel 6.03mm, ASG Ultimate rubber, H Nub and its running 350-360fps on .2's. i now use .25's and think that i will have better accuracy and consistancy once i have put more rounds through it. A the moment the ROF is ok i just want it a little bit higher. Im not taling about 11.1v lipos, short stroking or swiss cheesing pistons. Just want to squeeze an extra 1 or ROF without messing with reliability.

Anyone recomed deepfire pistons - also will all V2 pistons work in my gun?

Comment

Deepfire are expensive and from what I understand they are overpriced. Get the SHS piston, or just keep the stock ICS piston.

I run two ICS rifles both with 11.1V lipos, they are shimmed well and the AOE is corrected with sorbo, neither piston is showing any signs on ware at all after 10-20 thousand bb's in each. Im my SL9 I stipped the stock piston after 100 bb's in a ROF set up and the SHS one I replaced it with is already showing signs of failure after about 1k bb's. In future builds I might suggest using ICS pistons as an upgrade....

If your mainly using semi auto then you dont want active brakeing as it will overwork the motor and cause it to fail prematurly. The billy breech mosfet would be fine but not essential. Get a high powered LiPo in there 25-30C rated and your trigger responce will speed up. What battery are you using at the moment?

Comment

what you want is a Black Talon Chimera, probably the best micro switched computer controlled mosfet made, if you took an ASCU an Extreme-Fire SW-EVOLUTION, and an AWS Raptor, and put all the best features from them into one unit,made it so that you could easily switch it between front and rear wired and made it almost indestructable you would get a Chimera.
              VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
              trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Battery is a Turnigy 7.4v Lipo
                Spec.
                Capacity: 2000mAh
                Voltage: 2S1P / 2S Cell / 7.4V
                Discharge: 15C Constant / 25C Burst
                Wired to Deans.

SPARROWHAWK, where would i get that Mosfet, i cant find it.

Comment

Originally posted by sparrowhawk View Post
                  what you want is a Black Talon Chimera, probably the best micro switched computer controlled mosfet made, if you took an ASCU an Extreme-Fire SW-EVOLUTION, and an AWS Raptor, and put all the best features from them into one unit,made it so that you could easily switch it between front and rear wired and made it almost indestructable you would get a Chimera.
                  They look great, but they are still being tested, are just about to be redesigned so that they can fit inside a ICS gearbox. It might be worth the wait also it will be expensive.

As for pistons, Deepfire are good but I wouldn't pay that much for them. I run SHS pistons and have yet to find a better piston for the price.

Your battery specs look OK, not great but it'll be good enough.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Genesius Find out more about Genesius
                  Working...
                  X