Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS M4 split gearbox won't close..?

Title says it all really..

I opened up my ICS m4 just to take the bolt out for a bit of a polish, put it all back exactly as I removed it.. But now it won't quite close.

I've checked that the hop was correctly positioned and that hasn't helped.

It's about 2mm away from closing.

Any ideas?

Re: ICS M4 split gearbox won't close..?

Did you use the forward assist button before opening? If not then the sector gear is probably showing teeth.
    Roll the gears a bit so the smooth side is showing and make sure the tapet plate isn't getting crushed. If you have forced it you may have already damaged it. And as always, read the manual :-)

Comment

I get this with mine every now and again.

Pull the hop unit out a bit then re-seat it. Usually the spring on the hop unit has got wedged and won't allow the upper gearbox to be pushed in fully.
      The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by FlangTal1ty View Post
        Did you use the forward assist button before opening? If not then the sector gear is probably showing teeth.
        Roll the gears a bit so the smooth side is showing and make sure the tapet plate isn't getting crushed. If you have forced it you may have already damaged it. And as always, read the manual :-)
        Originally posted by helpimonfire View Post
        I get this with mine every now and again.

Pull the hop unit out a bit then re-seat it. Usually the spring on the hop unit has got wedged and won't allow the upper gearbox to be pushed in fully.
        Cheers for the responses guys, I did read about the hop-spring issue and I removed it and reseated the spring, which didn't seem to help.

I did press the forward assist before opening it up, I was worried about rolling the gears incase they came out of sync with the piston..? I'm not a gearbox buff, only messed with one once and that went horribly wrong aha.

Edit: The teeth are showing on the selector gear, so rolling it round to the flat side may help.. BUT... they won't move freely by hand... unless I'm missing something?

Comment

Plug a battery in and use taps of full auto to try and get the gear in the correct position

Linky here>> http://airsofttutorials.com

Comment

you will see a little metal lever to which the forward assist button presses agaist. push that forward and then try turning the gears

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

And the prize* for the right answer goes to...

This guy:

Originally posted by Crude Skinny B View Post
              Plug a battery in and use taps of full auto to try and get the gear in the correct position

Worked a treat, closed and firing. Cheers for the help guys.

*there's no prize

Comment

The problem here is that sometimes after using the forward assist the tapet cam is sitting on the opposite side than it should. simplest way to fix is to give it a quick spin since moving the gears while they're connected to a motor can be a hassle.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Million Find out more about Million
                Working...
                X