Best M4 gear set manufacturer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best M4 gear set manufacturer?

I have an ICS M4 and I noticed that the rate of fire isn't that high compared to other standard guns.
    I'm not after a stupid rate of fire an I know I can drop and 11.1 lipo in fine but my friends G&P fire so much faster than my gun out of the box and we both run 7.4 lipos.

So wondering what the best gear set or combination of gears are as a possible upgrade to my ICS.
    Last edited by sj_asc; 18 August, 2012, 17:47. Reason: Moved to "Tech - Electric Guns"
    I know what i said because i was standing here when i said it.

ICS FAN - Always looking for parts. PM me what you have

Re: Best M4 gear set manufacturer?

Have you actually compared them over a chrono for ROF?
    My ICS wan't incredibly fast nor noticibly slower,I have the ROF written down somewhere I'll see if I can find it and compare it to my KWA.

Comment

The noticably higher ROF of your friend's G&P gun is mostly due to the its M120 motor, as opposed the gearset. If you'd like a comparable ROF, buying and installing a G&P M120 motor should do the trick.

Comment

He has a TM motor in it. Unsure which one but I'm running the turbo 3000 which I thought was a good motor?

Comment

Answer to the Original title question is RiotSC's Nickel Chromoly steel CNC gears. Alone they don't necessarily make your gun faster, there are many other factors involved.
          dsgdreamteam

Comment

Alternative answer for OP taking value for money into account (ie good, quiet, reliable gears cheaply): SHS gearsets.
            Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Are those alternatives better than the stock ICS gears or should I just keep as I am?

Comment

For upgrade potential yes, they are significantly better. But not to say ICS gears are bad, infact they are well made steel gears. Unless you want to to start pulling stupid spring rates or pushing stupidly high rates of fire (over 11.1v packs) the ICS set is perfectly adequate for UK power levels.
                The ICS Turbo 3000 motor (if that is what you have in there) is purely a torque based motor, it is not the fastest on the market, but it will operate more efficiently with spring upgrades than a typical non neo magneted motor.
                A simple swap of motor, and or basic refinement to your gearbox will see you pushing higher rates. The stock 18.7:1 gear set is not at fault, and it would be a waste to swap it out.
                dsgdreamteam

Comment

Ok thanks for that. I think I'll stick to the ics gears and put and 11.1v lipo in.

Comment

Sorry, I meant gears them selves. I wouldn't advise just dropping in a 11.1v without modification to the piston assembly otherwise you risk running into timing issues which with a neo magnet motor could cause catastrophic/expensive failure.
                    If you want a cheap speed upgrade, the a long type G&P M120 will get you that.

*Make sure you have decent wiring, low resistance connectors, and solder where possible.
                    *Check that the gears are well shimmed (remember that each adjustment should be checked with the lower half screwed shut.
                    *Make sure all compression parts are well lubricated with silicone grease/oil mix
                    *Motor height/pinion alignment should be set where the fire rate is highest and gear noise is lowest
                    *An M120 motor, good wiring, well shimmed and lubricated, 1J spring should see you just over 20rps with a large 9.6v pack. A high output/capacity 7.4v LiPO will yeild similar results.
                    dsgdreamteam

Comment

Wiring is 16 awg
                      Deans connector
                      Fireworks area MOSFET
                      Standard spring
                      Gaurder double o ring cylinder head
                      Gaurder vented piston head
                      Standard ICS piston (element on broke
                      M16 unproved cylinder

Shooting 375fps on .2's all day long

7.4v lipos

Comment

All sounds good in that case.
                        As long as the gears are shimmed correctly, dropping in an M120 motor will see you the higher rates.
                        Or if you really were set on a different gear set, you could take advantage of your ICS T3K motor and go for an ultra low ratio (13:1) set
                        Last edited by sj_asc; 19 August, 2012, 12:04.
                        dsgdreamteam

Comment

yes SHS are good but after a while of replacing them the cost will creep up, if you want a real ROF set-up this is what i would do (( please not i have no experience of ICS as they are crap - personal opion ))

Rewire to 14/16 AWG if it will take it
                          G&P m120 solder wires to motor/ skip spade connectors
                          11.1v lipo -- connectors i would go for gold push stero connectors, or deans if you have trouble telling Positive from negative ... lol
                          polish gearbox
                          get a set of RIOT gears - won't break mate been running his highspeeds for like 1year 1/2 at crazy rof
                          bearings/ get 8mm GB steel or ally
                          a Microswitch trigger if u can mod one to fit ( although no single shot)
                          a stash for TM pistons

prob looking at about $200 at least with a few other bits and pieces like mosfets and triggers and what not,

few bonus tricks
                          - polish polish and polish again
                          - don't rush shimming
                          - short stroke

stay away from
                          Systema motors.. G&P or element are just as good no need to spend £90 on a motor
                          Polycarb pistons/ metal piston are the work of the devil
                          don't skimp on a cheap GB or bearings

as said this is what i would do and is a personal opion

Comment

I don't think an 11.1v is necessary for a good RoF. I've just shoved some SHS 13:1 and an element hi-toque motor in my ICS M4 and I'm getting the best trigger response and RoF I've had ever.
                            The hi-torque motor has an added benefit of stopping overspin, meaning I can use a 1J spring without firing off 2 shots each trigger pull. Fitting the SHS gears in the ICS gearbox did require a little tweaking with some grinding needed on the anti-reversal latch to account for the much larger secondary gear on the spur gear.

Just need to give mine a reshim as my first shim job left them rotating freely but fairly noisy.

Comment

Ok I think what I will do is send it off for a re shim and AOE adjustment. I already have a t3000 and the ics gears seem pretty tough, so I'll keep them. I'm already all soldered up and run a MOSFET and deans. Going to drop in an Ultimate trigger and selector plate and run an 11.1 lipo. I will change to the M120 when the it3000 changes and I will try and tweet the MOSFET to increase the Rof further.

I don't I want to get into short stroking, and I just wondered why other peoples rof was much higher. Now I understand that they have high speed motors and mine is high torque.

I don't really understand the ratios so what is the current gear ration in the ICS and how much difference would an 'ultra low 13:1 set' make?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Genesius Find out more about Genesius
                              Working...
                              X