X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot batteries!

Ares Tar-21 Tavor.

Using 8.4v and 9.6v 1500mah batteries.
    When running on semi it's fine ( my preferred play style ) as soon as I let it go full auto if I do a long burst ( pretty much a whole mag ) mu battery gets pretty warm.

I'm guessing this is due to pulling a lot of current in a long period of time.

Any solutions to this ? Just use a larger battery ? Change gear set or anything other then a smart ass answer like " don't go full auto"

This could just be a normal thing but never noticed it with my TM AK47.

Any hints , tips or advice would be great please.

Thanks Dan

Re: Hot batteries!

when you say whole mag what size mag?

Comment

a battery will get rather warm when high current draw is used. just like fast charging a battery will make it hot as high current is flowing in.

Comment

I use high caps as I should be a support gunner but love my Tar. But when I say whole Mag I mean the amount of a mid cap so it's a loaded mag I fire it till it fires dry but don't wined it up during fire.

I know they will get warm/hot when high current is drawn just didn't think it would warm as fast as it is to unload a mag ( about 80 rounds ) it's not burning just warm enough that on a cold day it would be a blessing.

Comment

how old are the batteries? as that could be an issue, used packs that have had a lot of charges wont like being drained as much as new cells. Lipo is the way forward stick a 7.4v 5000mah battery in there and you can hold your finger on the trigger all day and still have some juice left

Comment

3 of my batteries are only a few games old the others could do with being renewed I think.

Thinking of Lipo but to many horror stories ( yes I own a Tar ) that put me off.

Comment

lipos arent dangerous, just the people that use them are ive been around lipos since before well.. before lol. I used to run them in my rc cars when i raced them.
              yes when i got them i charged them in an old ammunition tin, and wouldnt go withing 6ft of them.. BUT.. its all mumbo internet jumbo..
              Ive had had/seen more NIMH battery fires and explosions than lipo fires.

Charging any battery is dangerous if done incorrectly, as putting a high rate of current into something will always create heat and other wasted energys.

Getting a lipo charger and charging the battery at the recomended current 1c and your fine. As well as making sure the batteries never go flat, but in the world of airsofting the gun will stop shooting way before the cells hit the 3.3v per cell limit, and even then they dont catch fire.. they just wont charge again, and will puff up.

I got some old lipos the other week and started to shoot them with my crossbow to see what would happen.. i was very dissapointed.. all i got was some smoke and fizzing..

Ok i have seen a lipo fire that was quite spectacular. It was in my friends Rc car at a race, where his cars speed controller developed a short, which caused the battery to unload all its current at once (about 200amp...) that burst into flames and burnt his £800 toy to the ground.. but hey cigarets cause thousands of house fires and deaths a year.. doesnt put anyone off that does it

Comment

Back to oop.

The battery will get warm, I mean nice cozy blanket warm/hand warmer warm when you fire a 3-5 (80 rounds) second burst out of it. This is normal. What is not normal is when it gets too hot to touch. Many times I have test fired down my garden with the battery held in my hand as I could not be bothered to take the front end off again, and they do get warm when fired. So I think you do not have a problem and the batteries are fine.
                Raven's Claw: bug*er this just charge

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Dantakular I'm Dan, just Dan Find out more about Dantakular
                Working...
                X