Mosfet. Braked or non braked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosfet. Braked or non braked?

Right, the infected mosfet in my sr-15 cooked itself today.
    Was an interesting scramble to get the battery out as it merrily hammered away at 30rps while it was on safe with smoke pouring from the stock! hehe.

Anyway, do I go down the braked or unbraked route?
    I'm running an 11.1 2200mah lipo, shs high torque motor and some high speed gears.

Will I suffer overspin with an unbraked you think?

I've got an airfet in my ics sig552 which has been faultless so far.

Or do I splash the extra dosh on something like the ascu or raptor?

Feedback welcome

Ben
    G&P SR-15-URX / HK416 Frakenstein build / CYMA MP5K ctr stocked cqb goodness / CYMA CM048 ak74
    -----Broken/project guns wanted-----

Re: Mosfet. Braked or non braked?

The biggest misunderstanding with active braking MOSFETs is that they aren't always needed, and there are a few negative trade off's to having them. There seems to be a trend of people buying them because it adds to guns spec.
    The original active braking design is very basic and completely shorts out the motor when the power is cut, this kills off all power generated by CEMF which the brushes and comms take the full brunt of which severely accelerates wear and reduces electrical efficiency. Heat is the biggest issue and is the main reason that you should not have one unless you really need to.
    Ideally the braking should only be used when required to keep the gears position under control, such as semi auto or burst fire, it is totally unnecessary for full auto.
    For setups that do require an AB device, it is better to choose one that offers a softer brake or variable.

Unless you really need an AB, a standard FET is the better option.
    With your setup in mind, it's very likely that you will over/double cycle on semi auto and would need to go down the braking route to prevent this from happening.

*ASCU is fancy, but the wiring has it's limitations - 18AWG Silicone, it is rated the same as stock Marui wire.
    *AirFET is not advanced, they simply offer the basic spec, but the main FET's are better. The Brake is just as harsh.
    *Extreme-Fire in my opinion are the best for advanced FET's, Terry tests them to destruction and understands the side affects of the conventional brake, many of his FETs offer softer braking and startup
    *AWS/Blacktalon Concepts/PsypherIIV - Brilliant when they are around (AWS), If you can find one of their Sentry, Pulse or Raptor units theyl be a good option. BTC is Franks new project and Terry is in on it too, if the device ever meets production, it will be the best out there.
    dsgdreamteam

Comment

Re: Mosfet. Braked or non braked?

I have one of the extreme-fire cheetah 2N mosfets in my m4 and an SW-evolution in my M16 and I can confirm they are great units - they not only have the AB which can be switched on and off but have a setting for variable ROF meaning you dont need a lot of different voltages of battery. The after service sales for them is really good as well - I have had dealings with Terry on a few occasions and he's always ready to help with any questions or issues.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Pezza Find out more about Pezza
      Working...
      X