Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I repair an unbalanced Lipo?

Hi there,

I have a lipo battery that has become unbalanced. It has expanded in it's packing and i've been advised that it's unbalanced, this was confirmed on someone's voltage meter thingy at my local site. The question is, can this be repaired by recharging it? Or should I bin it?

Many Thanks,

Monk

Re: Can I repair an unbalanced Lipo?

I wouldn't trust it dude, Don't risk charging it again, especially with the same charger. Have you got more LiPo's or just the one?

Comment

properly dispose of it,its expanded so something has gone very wrong.if its an 11.1v then you could convert it to a 7.4v by removing the damaged cell and re wiring it but you will need to look up the circuit diagram for the charging lead and change the charging plug.if its a 7.4v then properly disposing of it is all yo can do.

Comment

I have one other Lipo, charges fine and hasn't had an issue yet. Im guessing its because I fully discharged it maybe? I shall get rid of it (any advice on how to?) and buy a new one then.

Cheers,

Monk

Comment

As above, something has gone very wrong with it, you need to bin it, and the sooner the better.

Also look into why it's gone wrong, are you using a balancing charger? Is it a cheap Chinese one or a decent one?

Comment

Im using a "INTELLIGENT LI-PO BALANCE CHARGER KIT UK PLUG VAPEXTECH" charging through the small balancing pin, not the connection I use to connect to AEG.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkreadusuk View Post
              I have one other Lipo, charges fine and hasn't had an issue yet. Im guessing its because I fully discharged it maybe? I shall get rid of it (any advice on how to?) and buy a new one then.

Cheers,

Monk
              NEVER fully discharge Lipo's their chemistry will not allow it. Yes that's why it's gone wrong.

You need to read up on some do’s and don’t about Lipo’s, if you don’t think you can look after them correctly, or just can’t be bothered, you’ll be better off with Nicads or Nimh’s. They can withstand much more abuse.

Comment

Normally I use them for a mornings skirmish, then replace with fully charged one for the afternoon. This stops my 1300mah Lipo from discharging, however I do remember a time a while ago where I forgot to do so and it fully discharged stoping the AEG from firing. This must be the reason it has ended up in it's current state. I'll take it to the Waste centre later today and purchase a new one.

Comment

Pray too your own god if you try and fiddle with it fella dispose in a good way and get another.

Comment

there are plenty of cheep low charge warning buzzers on the market that plug into the charging lead while the battery is in use and warn you of low charge or some cut the power to the gun,you can get them from most places that sell the battery's and only cost about £5 so well worth the money and essential if you are using lipo's really.

Comment

an airsoft gun will stop shooting way before a battery becomes flat.
                      A lipo thats puffed up isnt the ticking time bomb people make them out to be. its not going to explode in your face, granted it maydo if you try charging it lol.

To saftley dispose of a lipo puncture its cells, and then drop it in a salt water bucket for a while.
                      I had some 4900mah race cells left over from my rc car racing days which i left in a draw for about 4 years, i picked them up the other day, and they were well and truley puffed. i decided to put some of the myths to test to see if i could make them go bang.. not even shooting them with a crossbow produces anything less than a little smoke lol

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Monkreadusuk Find out more about Monkreadusuk
                      Working...
                      X