Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone please help!

Hey people,

I have my ICS M4, and the ROF is pretty damn high. IE: SHS 13:1 gears and SHS high speed motor. The piston's keep on stripping in the same place, on one side and it varies from 1 to 4 teeth up every time they strip. I've had a go at correcting the AOE and reshimming, but that is definately out of my league. Does anyone know anyone or willing to correct the AOE and reshimm it for me? It's really p***ing me off now, after about 500round the piston strips, I use an SHS half steel toothed piston.

I have cash waiting!

Hope you lads can help me!

Cheers,

Ben!

Re: Someone please help!

this needs to go under electric gun tech not here
    sigpic

Comment

Moved, please be mindful of where you open threads in future.

Comment

Get a piston with reinforce teeth. Also make sure the Angle of Engagement (AoE) is correct, and that the back tooth of the sector gear is engaging with the back tooth of the piston, sometimes if there isn't enough space it will grab a tooth too early and cause wear.

If you find that the AoE is wrong you can grind down the 2nd and/or 3rd from the back teeth on the piston till the sector gear has a clear path to engage the piston properly.

Comment

I've had a go at correcting the AOE

Comment

Can you get a picture of the piston up? sounds like pre-engagment.

Linky here>> http://airsofttutorials.com

Comment

Stronger spring and short stroking for the win.
              G&P SR-15-URX / HK416 Frakenstein build / CYMA MP5K ctr stocked cqb goodness / CYMA CM048 ak74
              -----Broken/project guns wanted-----

Comment

Can't get a pick up - but I can text it - it won't let me upload as I'm on tapatalk. But what does pre engagement mean?

Comment

It is where the piston hasn't fully returned before the sector gear starts to pull back the piston back again, it results in the teeth closer to the pick up teeth becoming excessively worn and damaged, basically the sector gear is trying to pull back a still forward moving piston this rips off the other teeth in the process as it engages the piston to early.

Does it look similar to the white one?:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1&...i9KoE9phze90M:

Comment

That's the piston!

Cheers for the help so far

Ben.

Comment

There's a couple more.

Comment

Have they come up? If so, what does it look like?

Comment

Looks like pre-engagment, what spring and battery are you using?
                          Also looks as if the sector gear is shimmed to high.

You most likely need a stronger spring and to short stroke and correct AOE.

Comment

Not sure what spring i'm using as I got the Upper GB off a friend a while ago. And I'm normally using a 9.6v 1600mah wired to tamiya, but when I used it after everything been done I used a 9.6v 4600mah battery, I was so stupid at the time! The ROF was stupidly high. I'm going to get it sent off to someone, is there anyone you recommend

Cheers

Ben.

Comment

The problem you have, as has been stated already, is pre-engagement.
                              There are many ways to solve it but the easiest way in this case would be to use a high torque motor.

Using a high speed motor with high speed gears is an extremely inefficient combination.
                              To properly correct the pre-engagement you'd need to run a heavier spring and short-stroke the piston/sector gear OR pre-compress the spring and short-stroke.
                              This would put too much strain on the motor, so while you'd see your pistons lasting longer you'd run into other troubles like overheating.

A high torque motor would also give you other benefits like a better trigger response and less over-spin.
                              Because you're using an SHS high speed motor you also wouldn't have to re-shim the gears

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Benjii Ben, been in the airsoft 'world' for just over 2 years. Not much of a camper, a pure rusher! Find out more about Benjii
                              Working...
                              X