Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

how do you make your gearbox 11.1 lipo ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how do you make your gearbox 11.1 lipo ready?

Comparing a car engine to an aeg gearbox. lul.

Engines are a tiny amount better designed than your gearbox :lol:

Comment

I didn't suggest that an AEG gearbox is made as well, or that a car engine is made to lower standards. Both, on the other hand are subject to reciprocal wear, both are designed to exceed normal usage limits but wear out faster when used in that way and most people can imagine the effects that higher revs have on a car engine whikle a lot find it harder to see where the damage is done to an AEG gearbox - so what's your point, other than completely missing the concept of an analogy - or just looking for a trolling session? lul!

Flang, the fact you car can rev to 9k doesn't mean that it should bedone all the time. There is no argument that the higher the revs (in a car or AEG), the faster things wear out. My primary AEG is a VFC and in theory is capable of being run from a car battery. Does that mean that I'd expect it to last forever if I did? Of course not.
      sigpic

Comment

I didn't suggest that an AEG gearbox is made as well, or that a car engine is made to lower standards. Both, on the other hand are subject to reciprocal wear, both are designed to exceed normal usage limits but wear out faster when used in that way and most people can imagine the effects that higher revs have on a car engine whikle a lot find it harder to see where the damage is done to an AEG gearbox - so what's your point, other than completely missing the concept of an analogy - or just looking for a trolling session? lul!

Flang, the fact you car can rev to 9k doesn't mean that it should bedone all the time. There is no argument that the higher the revs (in a car or AEG), the faster things wear out. My primary AEG is a VFC and in theory is capable of being run from a car battery. Does that mean that I'd expect it to last forever if I did? Of course not.
        sigpic

Comment

Looks like you missed the analogy this time. What I meant is that not all cars are the same, likewise with aegs some are better than others. If I ran my ICS M4 on 8.4 nicd it would probably last forever, it's done about 100k using an 11.1 Lipo and it's still going strong with original gears, piston etc. Some guns can take it like your vfc for example....others cannot.

I read many horror stories about lipos before I bought one, now I think a lot of those stories were probably written by people who have never used a Lipo before.....afterall its only a battery....

Comment

Didn't miss it, just didn't agree with it totally. There's wear and tear at normal revs (AEG gearbox or car engine) and that goes up as the revs go up. Your car can rev to 9k, but it will still wear out quicker at 6k than it would at 3k. The difference is that it will wear out slower than my Kia would at 6k (that's assuming that my Kia didn't blow the first time I tried to take it to 6k!).
            sigpic

Comment

Looks like you missed the analogy this time. What I meant is that not all cars are the same, likewise with aegs some are better than others. If I ran my ICS M4 on 8.4 nicd it would probably last forever, it's done about 100k using an 11.1 Lipo and it's still going strong with original gears, piston etc. Some guns can take it like your vfc for example....others cannot.

I read many horror stories about lipos before I bought one, now I think a lot of those stories were probably written by people who have never used a Lipo before.....afterall its only a battery....

Comment

Originally posted by madwelshman View Post
                point is, any gun has the potential to survive being run on 11.1 with no mods whatsoever, but the majority would last a lot longer with a few alterations...

never mind the clearly tosh claim that a kid runs "THREE" guns every weekend for 6 months.... all cheap plastic budget guns... why would someone even own three combat machines at one time.... he triple wielding?
                Just like to point something out.. have you ever stripped a combat machine? their gear boxes are some of the best well made and well assembled i have come across in my many years of airsofting.
                The casings arent the cheap crappy pot metal you find on chinese clones, and the edges have been beveled to help lesson the stress.

Internally they use stock G&G gears, and brass bushings as standard. The G&G stock motor is a very high torque beast, and can easily pull the 400fps spring i have in my CM gear box i bought as a project for a semi auto sniper.

I wouldnt slag off anyone for using a CM AEG, they are built far better than most guns ive owned. Its just the airsoft snobbery coming back again.. its pathetic, "omg i own a systema gun i am so much better than all of you, it shots 1000000m further and i could shoot the bollocks of a mouse at 200m"...

And a plastic gun has distinct advantages over a metal gun for people on a low budget.. i dont hear of many people snapping plastic guns when dropped, or needing a trolly to wheel it around.

Comment

Originally posted by badger906 View Post
                  Just like to point something out.. have you ever stripped a combat machine? .
                  I am the manager of one of the largest airsoft shops in the country, and also one of the primary gun techs, I have lost count how many G&G's i've fixed, downgraded and upgraded, and I use the term upgraded loosely, based on trying to raise pitifull fps readings to acceptable levels.

Any tech, shop or even knowledgeable skirmisher thats been around for longer than 5 minutes will tell you the horror stories of old, the g&g m14's were lemons, the cm's with the budget gb shells that used to shear off on a weekly basis... now admitedly, G&G have stepped up their game, but they are far from perfect, i've fixed 2 F2000's (g2010) this week with the same fault, and one last month, the spring that pushes the mag catch into the mag.... without, the mags simply fall out, and this is meant to be one of their flagship models....

You want a nice gearbox? KWA, now THATS a good quality gearbox.

Comment

But none of the guns you mentioned there are under the CM range. The first place i would look for horror stories about how terrible they are is on this very forum, as its stand i have seen very few if any, of people complaining about the quality of said gun.

Early TM guns were atrocious, yet people rave about them now, same can be said for WE pistols, 5-6 years ago people wouldnt have touched them with a 10ft barge pole, but now theyre great, AI mag raved highly about the latest hi cappa.

Im just saying you cant slag of an entire line of guns because of a few lemons. I have a CA Armalite M15 in my workshop that ive had to repair more times than i care to shake a stick at, not something you'd expect from a £350+ gun.

I have a recent gen CM m4/v2 gearbox that i use as a spare for guns, and its gear box casing is very impressive, to the extent that it doesnt even have the odd bit of residue casting that you get, it looks like its been bead blasted. Now that cant be said for the countless others ive encountered in my time, and ill be honest, ive snapped my fair share of gearboxes.. some were done outside of the gun

And on a silly note i once connected a double eagle M4 (mainly plastic internals) to a 12v car battery and held my finger on the trigger trying to destroy the gearbox.. lets just say the gun still works, but the car wouldnt start in the morning.. i have a 24v leisure battery lined up next time! So sometimes even the cheapest of cheap can surprise people.

Comment

the majority of g&g's we fix are cm's, end of, irony? we don't even stock or sell them! (yet... we may do soon, in talks with G&G as we speak)

Don't see many "top end" g&g m4's at all.... either on the bench, or on the field.... You seem to miss my point, we are constantly patching up the older g&g's, the newer g&g's now all use the same v2 box across the range. Still not a fan of the budget cm's and their plastic parts, each to their own!

Comment

EDIT: You know what, never mind.

Comment

Back to the topic....

OP: I too run SHS internals but am currently waiting on a SHS high torque motor - the rest is complete. I'm getting about 13rps at 345fps, i think this is simply due to having a bit of a lame motor.

I intend to fit an 11.1 or a 9.9v LiFe, but before doing that I'll be installing a mosfet and fitting a trigger block with an electrical safety.
                          Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

My personal recipe for an 11.1v build without risk of damage is the following:

Decent bushings for durability
                            Heavy-ish spring for the increased piston return rate to prevent overspin and pre-engagement
                            Light piston assembly for the increased piston return rate to prevent overspin and pre-engagement
                            - No metal piston heads, No bearings. 3-7 tooth pistons are nice for ease of short stroking in case it's needed
                            Sorbothane pads on the cylinder head for AOE adjustment and shock absorption properties
                            Good shim job for gear durability
                            Good quality lubrication for mechanical durability (I use silicone oil for the cylinder, superlube for gears - very thin film of it)
                            Standard Mosfet for electrical durability
                            16AWG wire for reduced
                            Fuse (Ideally Pollyfuse) in case the mosfet shorts and/or goes pop.
                            Decent Connectors (Deans etc)
                            Neo motor of some description, ideally torque.

Yes you could technically just plug in an 11.1 and go but you will probably start seeing stuff like burnt contacts, pre-engagment and overspin, motors burning out and other less fun stuff. The above parts list will make it last until either the piston or the tappet gives out.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

BigZee87 Find out more about BigZee87
                            Working...
                            X