Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor slow to respond but works fine when warm

Hi all.

My ARES G36 hasn't been used in about 6 months. It has been stored in a dry room in the house, however the motor doesn't respond on semi, works slow on auto, but once warm works on semi and auto as it should. If I then decompress the gearbox (button in front of the trigger) it returns back to being slow to respond for the first shot and then it is fine.

I think the motor has dropped in torque massively but haven't had it out to test yet.

Can a motor seize after a period of rest and simply need spinning a few times to get it back into shape, or should I just save my time and replace the motor?

I've been toying with the idea of a new motor to boost semi trigger response anyway but I am at a loss for which to go for if this is the cause of the issue.

Any ideas? Do I need a new motor (if so which) or is the gearbox in need of a good clean and service (I did this 12 months ago, although the G36 has had little use since)?
    King Arms "King of Arms Builders 2013" Winner
    https://www.youtube.com/user/crasstoe
    www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Tried it with a bigger battery?

Comment

Re: Motor slow to respond but works fine when warm

The battery isn't the issue as once the motor is warm it is firing at 20rps with a fully charged 9.6v which is normal.

Thanks for the suggestion though
      www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

"ARES" < There's your problem. Their motors are shocking and are REALLY easy to burn out. New motor will more than likely sort your issues out.

Comment

I figured it was the motor being shot.

So what would you recommend for trigger response?

I used to use high speed gears and an EG1000 but I don't want to open the box up again.
          www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

The copper surfaces on the commutator in the motor ( the bit the brushes press on) can tarnish over time.
            Even an invisible amount could affect performance. You could try removing the motor and running it free for a couple of minutes on 6V (or a 7.4V LiPo) to see if that cleans it up - it would also redistribute any lubricant there may be in it.
            The lower voltage would make it run slower, so the brushes have more contact, and thus more abraision, as well as reducing potential damage from high-speed no-load running.

Comment

Thanks for the explaination No1_sonuk. I thought something could have corroded but having not taken the motor apart I didn't want to speculate.

I will be replacing the motor rather than repairing as I have never been happy with the trigger response, whilst the top speed was fine.
              www.flickr.com/crasstoe

Comment

If you have not done already try the cleaning method.

take motor out and get a cup big enough to fit the whole motor in, then get some DISTILLED water make sure you use distilled water,
                Then place motor in the water and run it for 5 mins repeat untill water runs clear.
                most times this does the trick its also a good way to break a motor in aswell.

hope it works for you
                Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

crasstoe Chris, 23, White, Male, 5'7 Find out more about crasstoe
                Working...
                X