tips on putting the spring back into V3 gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips on putting the spring back into V3 gearbox

Having opened, repaired, and reassembled my first gearbox, a V2, last weekend, I was feeling pretty bold. The feeling was misplaced. The V3 spring is completely ridiculous! I don't even understand why it's so hard to put back in, but evidently it was not built by the hands of mortal men.

Does anybody have any tips on putting the damn thing back together again? I don't really want to be wholly reliant on technicians for every little repair or upgrade I might want to do down the line.

Re: tips on putting the spring back into V3 gearbox

What's the issue you're having? Springs are pretty universal, is it just an issue with keeping it all in place whilst you fit the two shell halves together?
    Originally posted by Walter Gropius
    If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

It's just...hard to do. I don't know. I had absolutely no problems fitting the spring into a V2 gearbox, but on a V3 it just flips out all over the place. The one time I managed to get the spring guide down it jumped the piston out. Should I maybe close the gearbox halfway before putting in the spring or what?

Comment

Sounds like the spring guides tabs aren't slotting in to the shell properly... Does the gearbox shell have a hole in the back? That'll make it easier to stick a screwdriver up the guide to control the spring better. Hold the cylinder down with your right hand little finger (make sure piston is in its channel). Then Wang the other shell half on maybe with the help of someone else if your hands aren't gymnastic. Don't worry about the trigger if that keeps popping out, that can be sorted before the shell is fully closed...
        Originally posted by Walter Gropius
        If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

CacklingHawk Be strong, be fast, don't be too serious Find out more about CacklingHawk
        Working...
        X