Star/Ares M249 cylinder, piston and gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star/Ares M249 cylinder, piston and gears

I recently got stitched up by a forum member on a deal with an M249, which Im now stuck with.

It was supposed to have had a completely rebuilt gearbox, but the guy lied through his teeth about it and just filled it with, what appears to be what ever he had lying around in his spares box.

To cut to the chase, Im basicly unsure if ANY of the gear box innards are realy for an M249 so I have to start from scratch!

Ive replaced the air nozzle and tappet plate with brand new Ares M249 parts and put a 2nd hand/new piston in ( the same amount of teeth as the one that was supplied in the box when I got it- even that had the teeth stripped) , BUT now the proper m249 tappet plate is too wide to sit in the end of the cylinder head with out me shaving a couple off mm off either side of the new tappet plate.

Also, when installed, the tappet plate does not have enough room to slide back as it clouts the front of the cylinder head and this wont allow the spur gear teeth to clear the last of the piston teeth as the tappet plate gets stuck on the spur and jams the gear.

So what I need to know are:

1) do I have to buy just a new cylinder head OR will I need a new cylinder head complete with cylinder

2) does the Star/Ares M249 use a specific piston or will a standard 15 tooth piston fit

3) are the gears the same as a standard V2 gearbox or are they also different?

Many thanks, Steve
    Originally Posted by PureSilver
    "Complaining that it's shit because it's more complicated and less reliable than an AEG is like complaining that sex is shit because it's much messier than masturbating into a sock."

Re: Star/Ares M249 cylinder, piston and gears

Damn it!
    I ment that the tappet plate sits tight against the front of the cylinder head and the rear of the tappet plate locks the SECTOR gear, as the tappet plate is not long enough to allow the sector to complete its cycle.
    * hangs head in shame*
    "Complaining that it's shit because it's more complicated and less reliable than an AEG is like complaining that sex is shit because it's much messier than masturbating into a sock."

Comment

Re: Star/Ares M249 cylinder, piston and gears

Well Ive Googled this for hours and come up with absolutely nothing, AND no-body has these gearboxes in stock.

Next question is, are the internals from an Ares/Star M60 gearbox compatible with those of an M249?

The worst case senario is that I will have to buy a complete M60 box and replace all the guts from it into the M249 one.

I would realy appreciate ANY help on this one guys,

Cheers, Steve

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

steve34 Find out more about steve34
      Working...
      X