Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

New motors - do they tend to smell abit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New motors - do they tend to smell abit?

Hi guys,

Got myself a new shs high torque motor and I've reshimmed my gearbox and it sounds really good. However I have noticed a funny smell coming from my motor grip. It doesnt smell bad though. I was just wondering whether new motors tend to smell a little on the first few times of using them?

Thanks!

Re: New motors - do they tend to smell abit?

Might be caused by the bushes bedding in. If it gets worse or you see any signs of smoke then whip it out quick. You can 'run' motors in by using the water method or running them on a very low voltage for 10 minutes or so, it gives the motor a chance to bed the bushes in without a huge voltage on the very first shot, this has also been know to increase the torque of the motor and its what all the RC crowd do.

Comment

on utube you will find post on breakig motors in using distilled water . this can help with problems and cleaning motors
      Dont Eat What You Cant Fry

Comment

It's the brushes breaking in. Does your new SHS high torque howl like a bitch?
        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

Originally posted by dave38x View Post
          It's the brushes breaking in. Does your new SHS high torque howl like a bitch?
          does that mean my wife is a shs motor

Comment

Originally posted by mirlock View Post
            does that mean my wife is a shs motor
            It does if she reads thats post I would imagine :-)

Comment

Originally posted by FlangTal1ty View Post
              It does if she reads thats post I would imagine :-)
              if she had a read of all my posts i would be living with one of you guys. and ive not even mentioned me shooting a hole in our 6 month old double glazed front door . i blamed the dogs slamming it open to get out for a walk ( having a hybrid wolf husky and a massive alaskan malamute helps)

Comment

HAHA awesome, I normally blame the cat but I will have to get a dog for the slightly bigger accidents.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I think the motor is fine and was hoping it would just be the brushes bedding in. The motor is quite loud actually compared to my G&P M120 which made me wonder about the shimming but I reckon it is OK

Comment

yeah the SHS will make a funny metallic smell for a little while, and theyr are lounder than most motors, but theyre good :D much much better than the M120
                    -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
                    -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Thought I would show you what the motor can do with an ASCU unit

I don't know whether I need to shim the bevel gear down further. The meshing seems fine but it is still a pretty loud motor! The bevel gear only has 0.15mm under it!

Comment

Good lord, what's the rest of that setup?????

So i had smoke pouring out the bottom of my pistol grip today 0.o

Turns out the heat shrink on the connectors had melted... time to switch to solder!!!!
                        Shadow Stalkers Airsoft Team

Comment

How are you finding this SHS motor? Looking at one myself.

Comment

There is:
                            - Modify high speed gears, short stroked 2 teeth
                            - SHS 3 metal tooth piston w/ G&P piston head
                            - Guarder cylinder and modify double o-ring cylinder head
                            - Guarder air nozzle
                            - Modify Torus Gearbox shell
                            - Guarder SP100 spring.

Got a perfect airseal on it in the compression parts and madbull hopup, barrel and blue rubber.

The SHS motor is spot on! It is slightly longer than normal motors and you may need to reshim the bevel gear to get it meshing well. For those reasons I would not advise it as a straight drop in. If you get it setup well it is really good.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

webbjay Find out more about webbjay
                            Working...
                            X