Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance & Greasing a gun?

Hi, need advice on greasing a gun.

People talk of the "good spots" to lube up. I have a TM M4 on its way, what shall I do to maintain it generally?

I hear a cigarette filter for barrel cleaning - but fibres in that can be huge. Could a tiny square of microfibre be good?

Anyhelp is great.

Intel

Re: Maintenance & Greasing a gun?

i couldnt really see the fibres making much of a difference especially since its lubed and clean and one bb will probably clear it anyways

turn you hop off - spray silicone (not wd40 or the likes) down the barrel and a bit in through where the bbs feed - then just put the cleaning rod down and give it a twirl - you can lube up you guns as often as you want - but once after every skirmish is sufficient - hope this helps

Comment

Heya,

I'm surprised you haven't had a torrent of replies on this one! The most important thing is to keep the whole thing clean and all moving parts well lubricated.

Barrel wise, anything that isn't going to break up in there will be good, just be sure to wind the hop-up 'up' so it isn't damaged by cleaning rods.

Get yourself some silicone spray. It's cheap and available at hardware stores. Safe on plastic, wood, metal and rubber. Moving parts will included things like the trigger mechanism and springs in magazines as well as more obvious parts like the gear box.

It's pretty much common sense though really. Don't leave it wet or muddy, don't use abrasive products or cleaning implements and store it well.

I'm sure now someone will be able to give you more detailed information on 'lube points', though a liberal coating never did any harm

Comment

gun grease would also be better for the gear box rather than silicone but silicone pretty much fixes everything

Comment

Just a point, greasing up is great, but for christ sake CLEAN it first! The old grease will have accumulated dirt and have small bits in it, be more the texture of extremely wet sand. Clean if off before applying new grease.

Comment

Good call Keeper! That is important otherwise you'll get a nasty gunk in there that's going to do the opposite of maintain your gun!

Air dusters can be useful for getting those hard to reach places. It's a can of compressed air that shoots at at high speed (like a jet washer would clean your car).

Comment

Oh, and if when you're wiping it off, make sure your shims are on the gear axels, not sitting on the bushings. I cleaned a gearbox the other day after I'd spent about half an hour shimming it, only to wipe all my carefully placed shims into a pile in a corner. Not my finest moment.

Comment

every month i strip, clean, wash, and regrease my gearboxes.

one has never let me down. i mean, ive NEVER had a gun breakage. never, ever.

AND tkos, weve all been there, damn gearboxes.

has my first experience with an m14 gb today, i didnt like it :

Comment

M14 gearboxes are horrible. Their only redeeming aspect is the motor cage.

Comment

i quite agree........... pure evil.

mp5s seem to like me tho, never have trouble with them.

Comment

P90 for me. Lovely gearbox in a lovely gun.

Comment

right, we should wrap this up tkos.

BARRELS

clean with a sturdy, non fiberous cloth.

GEARBOX

every so often, strip, clean and regrease with silicone or teflon grease. make sure to remove all debris and cack from the casing, gears, piston ect. check all parts and re assemble.

i think thats about it eh TKOS?

Comment

Yup, good and. Especailly checking all parts, good point. Mainly the piston for wear on the back teeth or signs of the dreaded pre-engagement.

Comment

not pre engament ahh... lol

hope weve helped mate, any ques im happy to help, pm me.

TKOS, pmed.

Comment

That's all been great guys. Extensive, but just what I was after.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Bad_Intel Find out more about Bad_Intel
                              Working...
                              X