Motor Burnout Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Burnout Problem

Hi guys, just got a new gun from this forums and the motor has just failed on me. I fired about two shots on a fully charged battery and they were very very sluggish. The gun then stopped working and a lot of smoke began to pour from the pistol grip. I'm new to airsoft and have no idea what I'am doing. The motor is a TM EG1000 high torque.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers.

Re: Motor Burnout Problem

Hope the following questions don't offend you
    Did you open up the gun at all? Apart to just put the batteries in
    What battery did you use?
    Which gun was it

Comment

Q's
      -Have you tried the motor out of the grip?
      -Did it make any horrible noises?
      -Have you done anything else to the gun?
      -Is/was the wiring in good condition?

A's
      -Might have a locked gearbox that's jamming the motor, you would have felt the battery get hot too...
      -The motor adjuster disc might not have been put back in correctly so the grubscrew is jamming the shaft
      -Either the wiring or motor itself is shorted out (unlikely unless it has been faffed with)
      Originally posted by Walter Gropius
      If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

If you put your location on your initial post we might be able to suggest a shop or site who can help you.

Comment

I bet it stopped firing and you kept pulling the trigger to see if it would work again!
          Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

well the fact it fired two sluggish shots means that you've got the motor wired in the right direction (that's a start)
            then if there's smoke coming out ... you're not in luck, it's likely that you've frazzled the motor so will be after a new one.
            the same thing will happen if it's a gearbox problem (which sounds likely as it is a high torque and was sluggish).
            before you open it up you should email the seller and ask to send it back and get a refund.

on the plus side, as you're new to airsoft, (unless you have another VCRA defence) it's a two tone gun ... (it is a two tone gun right? .... ) it means it will be a fairly cheap mistake.

anyway if the seller is untrustworthy you'll have to take the motor out, pull the trigger with the motor out of the gun. (it will jump around like crazy so hold onto it) also don't do this for too long as running without resistance isn't always a wise idea. Then if it runs fine you've got a problem with your gearbox even if it doesn't run fine you will probably have a problem with the gearbox. ... so I would advise sending it off OR buying a replacement.

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Comment

Best to do either of the following:

If you're confident with stripping down an AEG, do so and follow points suggested above. Youtube is good for strip down guides depending on what gun it is. It sounds like the motor has burnt itself out either by being faulty itself or overloading, which would be a gearbox related issue. If it is the latter, the only way of checking this is to strip the GB down and finding the cause of the resistance (should be fairly obvious).

If you're not confident, get a pro to have a look at it. Simples.
              - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

Originally posted by bobfish View Post
                *1* well the fact it fired two sluggish shots means that you've got the motor wired in the right direction* (that's a start)
                then if there's smoke coming out ... you're not in luck, it's likely that you've frazzled the motor so will be after a new one.
                the same thing will happen if it's a gearbox problem (which sounds likely as it is a high torque and was sluggish).
                before you open it up you should email the seller and ask to send it back and get a refund.

on the plus side, as you're new to airsoft, (unless you have another VCRA defence) *2* it's a two tone gun ... (it is a two tone gun right? .... ) it means it will be a fairly cheap mistake*.

anyway if the seller is untrustworthy you'll have to take the motor out, pull the trigger with the motor out of the gun. (it will jump around like crazy so hold onto it) also *3* don't do this for too long as running without resistance isn't always a wise idea*. Then if it runs fine you've got a problem with your gearbox even if it doesn't run fine you will probably have a problem with the gearbox. ... so I would advise sending it off OR buying a replacement.
                *1* If it was wired in the wrong direction, it wouldn't spin at all as the anti reversal latch would lock it.
                *2* Thats quite a big assumption, not all 2tones are cheap.
                *3* Wont really make a blind bit of difference really, the motor wont spin any faster than its designed to.
                section 24 of the 1968 Act
                Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
                  *1* If it was wired in the wrong direction, it wouldn't spin at all as the anti reversal latch would lock it.
                  *2* Thats quite a big assumption, not all 2tones are cheap.
                  *3* Wont really make a blind bit of difference really, the motor wont spin any faster than its designed to.
                  1. that was my point .... because the gearbox is cycling it is wired in the right direction ... because if it was wired in the wrong direction it could make smoke come out... basically you've missed my point.

2. hmm true but more often than not a 2 tone is cheaper than a RIF.

3. it will spin without resistance, i know from RC racing that certainly with nitro engines, and people have said the same about electric engines that running without resistance causes them to break and wear quicker.
                  I know nitro engines throw a piston. Cannot think what damage can be done to an electric engine other than general wear and tear.

------Mods ----------------------------- Members

Comment

Unfortunately there are loads of things that could have caused it, so guessing and getting it right without having the gun to look over is very difficult.

However if it fired two sluggish shots with no smoke, you should have stopped pulling the trigger. Then contacted the seller, I am assuming here your knowledge of AEG's is very limited, other wise I recon you would have taken the motor out to check it over and see if it works outside the gun.
                    Gun tech.

Comment

It's a DYTAC M4 CQBR (not 2-toned) and the problem, i believe from what i've looked at, is to do with the gearbox. I'm not entirely sure but i will have to send it off to have a pro look at it.
                      Thanks for the advice guys, i checked all of your suggestions and hope that i will reach a conclusion. It just happened to happen two days from the next game at GZ!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and @North West Output I'm really not that dumb. I instantly stopped and unplugged the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by bobfish View Post
                        1. that was my point .... because the gearbox is cycling it is wired in the right direction ... because if it was wired in the wrong direction it could make smoke come out... basically you've missed my point.

2. hmm true but more often than not a 2 tone is cheaper than a RIF.

3. it will spin without resistance, i know from RC racing that certainly with nitro engines, and people have said the same about electric engines that running without resistance causes them to break and wear quicker.
                        I know nitro engines throw a piston. Cannot think what damage can be done to an electric engine other than general wear and tear.
                        It cycled two sluggish shots, that wouldn't happen if it was backwards, it would just click and either pop the fuse, pop the battery or pop the wiring, the weak parts before the motor.

An IC engine has reciprocating components that can be easily over revved, that's why engines don't like clutch drop out.
                        Electric motors will on go as fast as what's being put into them, if you go too big of a power source, it will either hit its peak RPM and go know further or it will melt the armature if you have gone massive on the current.
                        section 24 of the 1968 Act
                        Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                        1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                        2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          It's a DYTAC M4 CQBR (not 2-toned) and the problem, i believe from what i've looked at, is to do with the gearbox. I'm not entirely sure but i will have to send it off to have a pro look at it.
                          Thanks for the advice guys, i checked all of your suggestions and hope that i will reach a conclusion. It just happened to happen two days from the next game at GZ!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and @North West Output I'm really not that dumb. I instantly stopped and unplugged the battery.
                          You would be surprised how many wouldn't.
                          Gun tech.

Comment

Ok after seeing that it's a Dytac with aTM motor, the original owner must have swapped the motor out. My initial thoughts about the adjustment disc seem to make even more sense. If the motor is put back in without it, and the grub screw is then adjusted onto the end of the shaft it will slow the motor down (run sluggish) and then jam it causing it to heat up... Have someone/a shop check for you so that you have backup when disputing the sale...
                            Originally posted by Walter Gropius
                            If your contribution has been vital there will always be somebody to pick up where you left off, and that will be your claim to immortality.

Comment

After this guy's fake posts where he's pictured other people's equipment claiming it to be his own, I'm going to call "Shenanigans" on this, as him trying to make forum users think he's some "Legit airsofter" before he goes on to make another sales thread, either listing "His" SVD, Thompson or Inokatsu 1911.

Who and when did he buy this DYTAC M4 CQBR (Not 2-toned) from? Unusual terminology if I'm honest?
                              There's a scammer operating openly on this forum. Please be aware of who you're dealing with.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Charles Find out more about Charles
                              Working...
                              X