Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight bore barrels...

Ok folks, here's another one for you!

I have just replaced my standard M4 barrel (G&P) with a Vanaras 6.03mm tight bore. I was hoping for more accuracy and wasn't sure what it would do to power. My thoughts are 2 way...

A. More power, as more air is getting behind the BB
    B. Less power, as the back pressure of air behind the BB means it's harder for the piston to push it out.

Turns out, It's much less powerful now.

My question is this...

Is this because of 'B' and I will need to upgrade springs or something, or, should it be more powerful and something isn't right.

Answers on a postcard (or in the thread)

Re: Tight bore barrels...

In addition to that, I have just put the old barrel back in. The BB's are loosing range quickly even with hop up fully on. Any thoughts?

I have had the hop-up apart and put it together again, this would seem to be the most logical problem but wondered if anyone has had similar problems and found it to be something else...

Comment

I have a squad member who has this problem, he's still waiting on details of how to fix it!

Comment

You've replaced the 363mm with another 363mm right? If not, a longer barrel might require a piston upgrade.

As a rule though, a tight bore should add a little more power. The most likely cause if that you've simply put it back together wrong, and it's leaking air!

Check the hopup bucking (the rubber on the outside of the barrel) is firstly in the correct place. It should slot into a groove. Make sure there is no damage to it, and a little silicone oil on the outside helps too. You'll also want to check the hop up unit has not moved with all the changing about. It should sit tight against the gearbox air nozzle.

I've not heard of Vanara, there is always a chance the barrel is faulty. Too tight, or rough inside.

Edit: Got the barrels in the right way up? The hole in them faces up.

Comment

Yeah I figure the hop is to blame here (i'm passing the buck... get it?!!)

It's a barrel of the same length yes, just tighter bore. It's from RSOV, on their website they have a section for Vanaras, they got good reviews on most products so thought i'd have a try. Turns out with the old barrel back i'm still down on power so i'll check the Hop.

Many Thanks

Comment

Check my edit, you need the barrel hole side up, if you havn't already!

=========_= <--- Like so :D

Comment

Yeah it's all in right, i'm wondering if the little bucking thing isn't sitting in there properly. I'll have it open again tomorrow and find out!

Comment

Ok people, I have my report!!

I found the problem was a broken 'C' clip on the hop on unit. The barrel was rotating so the hop-up was useless. Bit of tape fixed that so here are my Chrono results for changing the barrel.

Standard G&P barrel: 315fps - very respectable i'm sure you'll agree
                Vanaras 6.03mm (from RSOV.com): 340fps!! Excellent :p

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Fallout Find out more about Fallout
                Working...
                X